• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best measuring speaker?

sweetsounds

Dear all,

what's according to available data sources the best measuring speaker (i.e. flat on axis, going deep in bass, no kinks in impedance, homogenous lateral response, no resonances)?

Here Magico S5 from Soundstagenetwork:
fr_on1530.gif

Revel Ultima Salon 2. not at that level in bass:
frequency_on1530.gif

Dutch&Dutch 8C (except for the bass dip, which might come from freestanding mode, super flat):
fr_on1530.png

Genelec 8361:
index.php

Beave

Major Contributor
Their chamber isn't too be trusted below 100hz, and things like the 8c with rear drivers confuse it even more, trust ground plane or NFS more down there.

I think you need more than just the spin to properly judge.

Right. And that's important to note in a comparison such as this.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could certainly make an argument for the Kii Audio Three. Having cardoid bass control down to 100Hz is invaluable in rooms without serious acoustic treatment.

If we are talking passive speakers, probably KEF Reference 5 Meta. We already know the Reference 1 Meta has arguably the best coaxial mid/tweeter, adding more woofers just serves to bring the distortion lower at the cost of some lobing in the vertical off-axis.

It isn't worth judging the performance of speakers below 50Hz IMO. Bass is hugely influenced by the room, and managing room modes with subwoofers is much easier than with tower speakers alone.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The https version of the website loads normally for me.
Here’s the link:

Cc @pierre
If I type in spinorama.org into Chrome or Firefox, it shows that landing page.

Perhaps add a .htaccess file to fix this?
It’s probably a DNS issue. The domain without www just does not work/redirects to a different (default) host. The www prefix should be banned :facepalm:

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Spinoroma is very misleading in what's the better measuring speaker. It gives high scores to speakers that only have constant direcitivty in the higher frequencies and that arent broadband constant, and it disregards how a speaker interacts with the room in regard to boundaries. And then there are areas like IMD distortion, coherency/time domain behaviour, thermal compression, etc. which it also ignores.

The result is that you can have a speaker that scores lower in a spinorama vs another but ends up measuring much more even when it's placed in an actual room. And also be better in other audible and important areas compared to the one that scored higher.

Last edited:

flipflop

Spinoroma [sic] is very misleading in what's the better measuring speaker. It gives high scores to speakers
The spinorama itself doesn't give a score to a speaker. Spinorama data can be used to calculate the predicted preference rating.
It gives high scores to speakers that only have constant direcitivty [sic] in the higher frequencies and that arent broadband constant
Directivity isn't a variable in the equation used to calculate the score.
and it disregards how a speaker interacts with the room in regard to boundaries.
Yes, of course. The measurement data is anechoic.
And then there are areas like IMD distortion [sic], coherency/time domain behaviour, thermal compression, etc. which it also ignores.
It's true that in a few cases, loudspeakers with a high predicted preference rating scored a low actual preference rating due to high amounts of IMD. Fortunately, Erin's reviews include IMD measurements.
Time domain behavior should be ignored because it's not correlated with preference and is also tied to the frequency response which is shown in the spinorama.
Thermal compression was a non-issue under the test conditions.
The result is that you can have a speaker that scores lower in a spinorama vs another but ends up measuring much more even when it's placed in an actual room. And also be better in other audible and important areas compared to the one that scored higher.
The spinorama shows you "audible and important areas". The in-room response above the transition frequency does not.

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
in terms of interacting or somewhat "ignoring" the room, Genelec W371A with any compatible top in constant directivity mode (after GLM)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Research has mostly correlated spinorama and score to single speaker evaluation. Stereo is different. While most of it would apply to stereo there are responses that can improve or worsen the stereo errors. More research is needed in this area.

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
They're not even in the top 10.
Aside from Kii and D&D, what are the other 8+?

(Not being sarcastic; I’m close to pulling the trigger on the LX for my desktop)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Aside from Kii and D&D, what are the other 8+?

(Not being sarcastic; I’m close to pulling the trigger on the LX for my desktop)
I would be very interested in seeing an objective review for them. But, yes, one of the highest scoring passive bookshelf speakers along with the March Audio Sointuvas, and, with long port, the Kef Reference 1s. Obviously, the most economical as well.

Top Bottom