• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir Review: Movie Arrival

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, finally got motivated to pull out the UHD version of the movie Arrival and play it. My wife and I watched it together.

arrivalposter.jpg

Overall we very much enjoyed it. The movie is based on a short story, "The Story of Your Life" by Ted Chiang. Watching his interview in the extras, the man is super smart and well read. He got well into many quantum physics and philosophical issues facing physicists today. I would love to read his short story.

I think the problems which there are some with this movie stems from taking that short story and making it a feature film. The director talks about the most difficult part of making the movie being the editing. I think they partially failed to get that right.

When you listen to Ted Chiang talk, he has a core thesis which I won't tell you but it is the fundamental to the story. In the movie this comes to surface only in the last few minutes. When you think back to rest of the movie, one sees that those bread crumbs were left too haphazardly to support that important message. There are also some flaws such as the conversation with the chinese military leader.

I found the pacing slow but just enough to keep us going. The whole process seemed doggedly uneventful for such a movie about discovery of aliens. But somehow, helped by amazing music score, it kept us there and engaged until the end where it pulled us way up emotionally.

That gets us to the best part. We listened to the movie on my 2-channel system. I must say, the fidelity of the soundtrack was exceptional. Not only did it match what was going on in the movie but the balance of bass to highs and dynamics were some of the best I have heard. The sound design and music were one of the best aspects of this movie.

In the making bonus material the composer talks about how they took music that they played and ran it through tape loops on a 16-track recorder many times! It was this plus speed adjustments created this out of world music which fundamentally was very much grounded in this world. Almost no effects other than reverb were used.

Interesting tidbit outside of that, all the sound stations they showed were using Genelec professional monitors in all different sizes. Genelec owns so much of that market.

Picture Quality:
This was a huge let down but by design. The movie has a very low key/dynamic range. HDR does little for it because there are no blacks. Everything is in a fog and haze. If anything HDR at times is too distracting in how it highlights a window behind the actors.

Likewise there is no color pop anywhere remotely. Even scenes not related to the alien encounter are shot in a moody style that while not monochromatic, still very pale.

Resolution likewise didn't do much for us given how we were sitting too far from our 4K OLED display (LG) to care.

Interesting enough though watching the extras showed the images to be quite soft at times. I assume they were in 1080p but still, either the main movie was sharper than I think or the extras were shot poorly.

Regardless, get this movie for the sound, not picture quality.

Summary
Overall I definitely recommend watching the movie. I would get it on physical media to experience the great sound. It is an imperfect jewel, one that could be made better the second time around. But still, it is nice to get a "thinking movie" instead of all the shoot them up, western science fiction.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will get the UHD .. This is to me a must have , have to be seen several times movie...

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
Good take Amir, everything.

Today is a good day; sun, blue sky, white clouds nicely shaped, buds, flowers...all that spring jazz.
It's a much better looking reality than in Arrival's oblique drab look.
Right on on the music score and the new sounds.

I liked the new vocabulary; the black powdery circles. I'd like to learn it, and to master it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Because the first time she heard it was a party in the future which she had to remember from the past.
But why did the Chinese guy think to tell her what she had already told him on the phone in the past???

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Yes, in his Chinese polite communicative appreciative reminding way. After all, she saved the planet.

"In her leap to the future, Louise is “introduced” to General Shang, who thanks her for having called him on his cell phone on that fateful day. Shang gives future Louise two essential pieces of information for present-day Louise: his private phone number and his wife’s dying words, which present-day Louise uses to convince present Shang to call off the military strike.

“It was critical. Everything hinged on that,” Heisserer said of those intimate clues. As for those all-important dying words from Shang’s wife — which are spoken in Mandarin and with no subtitles in the film — it was something Heisserer stressed over for weeks. “For so long, in the script it was just ‘say something in Mandarin,’ and that survived many a draft.” But when director Denis Villeneuve insisted Heisserer write a phrase that the film’s Mandarin translator could teach Amy Adams, he drafted roughly 50 possible lines before landing on what Villeneuve deemed to be the perfect one.

That sentence wholly encapsulates the global crisis depicted in the film: “In war there are no winners, only widows.”

* watchnerd, what does your avatar say, in the circles within the circles?

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I want the aliens to win, even if the end result is they use us for fertiliser...
Maybe they already did and that explains the poor state of being we are. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I found the pacing slow but just enough to keep us going. The whole process seemed doggedly uneventful for such a movie about discovery of aliens. .

SLOW? I had to fight from falling asleep. Dang near walked out a couple times waiting for something to happen. No thanks. ;)
YMMV

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
That part was fine. It was him having to tell her why that is the problem.

If he hadn't told her why, she wouldn't have been able to use his wife's cell phone number and secret saying.

Imagine if the scene occurred in reverse order. Invert the causality.

Top Bottom