• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Amir Review: Movie Arrival

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I see now, I just arrived...in time movement language.

Piaget-Altiplano-Chronograph-Flyback-4.jpg
Alas I have to make do with this..,
IMG_0750.JPG

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
If he hadn't told her why, she wouldn't have been able to use his wife's cell phone number and secret saying.

Imagine if the scene occurred in reverse order. Invert the causality.

Exactly; Dr. Louise was casually listening, General Shang was talking with great concentration, confiding to her. That moment in time was the crucial one that came back later when she called him on the cell phone that she took from the table, left by the main chef of the operation/communication world center. And she locked herself inside that 'phone booth' alike where soldiers were ready to shoot and kill her. But she had time to repeat to him what she learned from him in the future.

WoW, isn't it magic or not! Magic for sure, @ the movies. It's not perfect but perfect enough to be a different type of sci-fi flick that makes us use our brain, for a change. :theperfectsmileyhere:
________--

My last post; see you all next -____-----------------------------------------------------------------------_____=tomorrow morning, same place same time, sharp. :anotherperfectsmileyrighthere:_____________________________________to------

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In the other Arrival thread I concluded:

Still I would give it a good not great recommendation. I think the story let everything else down a little actually.

So that makes sense if it was developed from a short story. Also good to hear about the video quality. I watched it with friends on my projection system and it didn't appear to really be HD in color or resolution. Apparently that was intentional.

One of my friends is sometimes nearly psychic at figuring out plots early in a movie. After the first scene following them showing Amy Adams child he said, "I think that is actually in the future. Something about the aliens messing with linear time. " And later he says "yeah see they write with those circles because they don't perceive beginnings and ends." So with his insight the breadcrumbs did add up a little more sensibly. Though I have no idea at that point just a few minutes into the movie what gave him that idea. Plus he couldn't know that it would be revealed as it was via the phone call with the Chinese general. That is why in my other post I said the bit about time was deux a machina without the machinery.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's amazing about your friend. My wife and I jointly figured it out near the end.

Yes, it is freaky sometimes. I wouldn't have paid much attention if it were someone else. Its not like he had heard about it earlier either. Several friends showed up and we had 3 movies we were considering and I said Arrival was available. No one else had heard of it while I had been waiting on it. Intended to see it in the theater, but did have time until it was no longer being shown. I gave a brief description, said Amy Adams was in it, so we picked that one to watch.

Last edited:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
One quandary is why advanced aliens don't try to figure out our language than the other way around! Surely that would be a heck of an easier outcome given their advancements.
Yea but that would leave a serious hole in various story telling arcs...

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
One quandary is why advanced aliens don't try to figure out our language than the other way around! Surely that would be a heck of an easier outcome given their advancements.

Got any videos of you barking at your dog that we could study?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

In a movie how would you connect with the audience showing from an alien perspective their efforts to understand our language? It would all be alien to us. :)
Plus you could see it was a joint effort depicted in the movie where each side was figuring out the other sides language.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
He probably read a bunch of Sherlock Holmes books. :D
It's Elimentary my dear Blumlein

I think he is just smart like that. We have discussed how to think about things. I pretty much think visually. He says he doesn't. Yet he is one of the most mechanically gifted people I have known. How do you think about mechanical things without picturing them in your head? I don't know, but he does it that way.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I've often wondered why there seems to be so little (to me) inter-species communication right here on good old Earth.

Notwithstanding a few commands or gestures which certain of our animal friends respond to, I just don't see many/any articulate inter-species "conversations" going on, even after thousands/millions of years of co-evolution.

Koko comes to mind, but still, we taught her to use our language.

Tiger: I'm hungry.
Me: No! Let's talk, I am advanced!
Tiger: Chomp.

PS: As for the question "Are there Aliens out there somewhere?". I consider ourselves to be "proof of concept", so, yes.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've often wondered why there seems to be so little (to me) inter-species communication right here on good old Earth.

Notwithstanding a few commands or gestures which certain of our animal friends respond to, I just don't see many/any articulate inter-species "conversations" going on, even after thousands/millions of years of co-evolution.

PS: As for the question "Are there Aliens out there somewhere?". I consider ourselves to be "proof of concept", so, yes.

I knew someone with a wolf/canine hybrid they got when it was 5 weeks old. They had a couple other canines on the premises. It was very interesting. Until you see them together you don't realize how much evolution/selective breeding has effected dogs to pay attention to humans. Even when very young dogs have this bred into them attitude of paying attention to humans. Is my human happy, mad, indifferent. Is something I do making my human happy or make him not happy. They are always continually gauging their activity off of that. The wolf had no such ideas in his head at all.

This made the wolf incredibly difficult to train or deal with compared to a dog. Wolf wants what it wants, whatever the human's reaction to anything is simply ignored. Flies over his head. Firstly it was innately obsessed on food. If there was any food or any peripheral indication food was about, it was not going to rest until it got some food. Nothing else could enter its mind. It quickly learned if people are drinking from a cup or bottle they almost certainly also have food out. It was going to get some no matter what it took. You could train dogs they can only get food sometimes even if humans have it out. The wolf knew only one thing if food was around.....it intended to get and would not stop until it got some.

It would be easy to think if you didn't observe carefully that the wolf was like a retarded dog. However, any activity not involving humans it quickly became apparent the wolf was about twice as smart as any dog you ever saw. So it was a matter of socialization and the tendencies bred into them that really differed. In fact, as it grew up (it likely helped there were dogs to observe), it did learn all those things. Learned to pay attention to humans, learned it could get its way more often if it acted like the dogs do. It took time and experience about 3 or 4 times as long as a dog however because it wasn't inherently disposed by attitude to do this. By the time it was grown it even was more easily trained to do things than the dogs. There were still things it would be more headstrong about for its own motivations, but mostly if turned out fine.

So I think dogs have learned us better in some ways than we have them. Probably because they are dependent upon us more so than we were on them. So perhaps an alien would be the same way. The less advanced species might go more than halfway learning their communication than the reverse. At least if some relationship with them were to last a longer period of time. Yet advanced aliens like us vs dogs would hit a limit of what they know that they could communicate to us. We simply would have a more limited understanding and processing ability in the first place.

Then there is the issue with cats. Cats own humans not the other way around to a large extent. They can't seem to learn enough to mesh with humans the way dogs do. Something about them prevents it or so it seems.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area

Because they count on us, advanced human species, to decipher their own language.
Don't ask aliens what they can do for you, ask yourself what you can do for them.
______

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Inter-species? Hell we can't even communicate inter-gender. Ever try to really rationalize with a women? :confused:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

We have interspecies communication in our house.

Cats and dog talk to the humans using different mechanisms than they use to communicate with each other.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
So I think dogs have learned us better in some ways than we have them.
You are very right. I have lost count of how much "language" our male dog has taught me than the other way around. He actually created his own routines and by repetition taught me what they mean. Barking in a certain way was his first invention to tell me it is dinner time. Giving me the paw an hour before that where I am sitting is another.

It was easy to miss his signals at first because they want a set routine and look at life that way and we are quite random compared to him. It was only by noticing the regularity of his routine that I figured out he was trying to tell me something.

Top Bottom