• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Add SPDIF to Topping DM7 8-channel DAC

wgh52

I'm posting this with very low hopes for a solution:

Just became aware of the Topping DM7 Multichannel DAC. It would be a nice, compact and cost effective solution for my 3-Way active speaker system with DSP x-over. Unfortunately it only has a USB input where I'd need 3 (or four) SPDIF inputs.

Is there any way to add SPDIF to a USB DAC without using a PC? I'm unaware of 4x SPDIF to 1x USB interfaces and doubt they exist, but wanted to have askes anyway.

Thanks and regards,
Winfried

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm posting this with very low hopes for a solution:

Just became aware of the Topping DM7 Multichannel DAC. It would be a nice, compact and cost effective solution for my 3-Way active speaker system with DSP x-over. Unfortunately it only has a USB input where I'd need 3 (or four) SPDIF inputs.

Is there any way to add SPDIF to a USB DAC without using a PC? I'm unaware of 4x SPDIF to 1x USB interfaces and doubt they exist, but wanted to have askes anyway.

Thanks and regards,
Winfried

Why is using a computer not allowed? How else are you going to use the DM7 unless it is connected to some sort of USB host (whether Mac, PC or Linux)? Are you looking for 3 or 4 stereo (not clock synced) SPDIF inputs? Or 3 or 4 clock sync'd inputs? Can you describe your source(s) in a bit more detail? Are they variable sample rate?

If you only need 3 or 4 stereo SPDIF inputs you could use this -> https://hifimediy.com/product/s2-digi/ with an automated SPDIF switch like this -> https://www.tindie.com/products/beni_skate/automatic-spdif-opticalrca-audio-switch/. In any case you will need a USB to host to route the signal captured by the SPDIF to USB card to the DM7. See my signature for a tutorial on how to do this with a RPi4 and CamillaDSP, there are also other options but whatever you use will need some way of adapting the SPDIF to USB card clock domain to the DM7 clock domain.

Michael

staticV3

Master Contributor
8ch DAC + DSP with native SPDIF in: miniDSP Flex 8.

Bonus compared to the DM7: onboard Xover and DSP means you're not limited to your one Jriver setup for example. You can set up the Flex and your config stays active no matter what source you use: PS5, PC, Chromecast, doesn't matter.

OP
W

wgh52

Hi Michael,

I did not need, don‘t have and don‘t want to add a PC in my Audio chain.

My DSP x-over is a DEQX PDC-2.6p with koax and AES Dig.Output option, so a modern multi channel DAC which is affordable like the DM7, but with SPDIF input, would come in handy. But it seems like there is no simple Plug & Play solution.

Thanks for your advice!
Winfried

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi Michael,

I did not need, don‘t have and don‘t want to add a PC in my Audio chain.

My DSP x-over is a DEQX PDC-2.6p with koax and AES Dig.Output option, so a modern multi channel DAC which is affordable like the DM7, but with SPDIF input, would come in handy. But it seems like there is no simple Plug & Play solution.

Thanks for your advice!
Winfried

The DM7 is a USB DAC, it needs a USB host (computer), no way around it. Like @staticV3 said look at the 8 channel miniDSP products (Flex8, nanodigi, DDRC-88D).

Michael

OP
W

wgh52

8ch DAC + DSP with native SPDIF in: miniDSP Flex 8.

Bonus compared to the DM7: onboard Xover and DSP means you're not limited to your one Jriver setup for example. You can set up the Flex and your config stays active no matter what source you use: PS5, PC, Chromecast, doesn't matter.
@staticV3

Thanks! Yeah! I‘m considering this option, but would have to „yank“ the DEQX with his analog inpu, FIR x-over, measurement Support and proven function. MiniDSP would be a significant DSP change, but it is tempting.

Greetings,
Winfried

Dave Bullet

There's the MOTU Ultralite Mk5, however I think it only has single ended outputs if that matters to you and unsure about volume control (may not matter also). It measured similarly to the DM7.

ppataki

Major Contributor
I'm unaware of 4x SPDIF to 1x USB interfaces and doubt they exist, but wanted to have askes anyway.
It does exist, it is called RME Digiface USB

It can do USB --> 4x SPDIF out and 4x SPDIF in --> USB
But you will definitely need a PC to make it work, it is not standalone
I highly doubt that there is any standalone device that could do this

I am a happy user of this little beast, I am using it as a multichannel digital-to-digital converter since I have a 4.0 setup in my living room - but of course you can use it for a multi-way stereo setup too

In terms of quality I would highly recommend using a PC as a source and as DSP too since then your options will become limitless - literally

OP
W

wgh52

Hello friends,

thanks for your advice and strong recommendations!

The Motu interface has only one SPDIF IN where I would need three (or four) feeding six (or eight) Line Outs, so this would unfortunately not work for me.

The Digiface seems to not hit the mark either as it requires a PC and looks like only offering optical connections.

With all the understood and appreciable versatility and flexibility a PC provides, this is a conceptual no-go as the Stereo set up must be usable for more users than just myself. Also I don't like the need for maintenance of OS and Software, seeing that e.g. my wife even hates the regular Updates needed on her smart phone and postpones them all the time... To this end I'm limiting myself (to use the PC use for device control and filter calculations for stand aloe devices) - conceded.

I agree, my initial suspicion that my desire (4xSPDIF > USB conversion or a decent 4xSPDIF IN > 8-Line-Out DAC) is not supported is confirmed, so I have not missed a solution. Now I'll probably put the ~ 15 year old DEQX PDC on the shelf and substitute it with a miniDSP Flex Eight (sadly sacrificing 3-way linear phase x-overs, FIR filtering and other useful DEQX features).

Regards,
Winfried

staticV3

Master Contributor
@wgh52 you could keep the DEQX and buy 4x Khadas Tone Board as DAC. They come as pure PCBA so with some DIY skills you could build a single enclosure holding four of them.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sorry, this was not clear from your initial post. You are looking for a multichannel DAC capable of receiving 3 or 4 synced digital outputs from the DEQX, not necessarily a new DSP solution. For all in one options look at the Okto dac8 pro or pro audio offerings like the Lynx Aurora 8.

Does the DEQX do volume control on the digital outputs or do you need that in the DAC? If you don't need volume control then 3 or 4 identical SPDIF input DACs is a perfectly fine solution.

Michael

OP
W

wgh52

Thanks Michael,

the PDC does Volume Control on dig. out, so pure DACs are OK. Caveats are the four boxes, potentialy with four power cords or supplies.

Regards,
Winfried

staticV3

Master Contributor
Caveats are the four boxes, potentialy with four power cords or supplies.
You can power 4x Khadas Tone Board from a single phone charger. Just gotta splice four Type-C cables into one Type-A. Or get a charger with four ports.

OP
W

wgh52

Hi folks,

thanks for the hints! Yeah, the Khadash board is on my radar for a while, I am just not clear if it is a real stand alone device without programming needs to a computing device on the USB, which would be a killer.
The Kadash website sais: ...The universal version is designed to work with a standalone Mac, PC or SBC via the built-in USB-C data and power port...
Maybe someone can clarify that for me.

Greetings,
Winfried

staticV3

Master Contributor
@wgh52 it's standalone. You can unbox it, plug in SPDIF, and start listening without ever connecting it to USB.

OP
W

wgh52

@staticV3

Thanks, this helps and yields great opportunities for me:

1. Take an (available) box, build in a power supply, add four Khadash DAC boards and 2 balanced (4 each) output boards!

2. I have also (somewhat remotely) kicked around the idea of integrating such DAC-boards into my active speakers and let 2 SPDIF connections run from the DEQX to each speaker instead of 3 or 4 balanced analog cable connections per speaker. Although, to make this work, a flexible DSP output routing pattern (like miniDSP features) would be needed, which the DEQXs don't have... Oh well, lots of room for future projects.

Regards,
Winfried

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If you don't already have amps, or if you just want to tidy the connections to the speakers, you should probably have a look at the Hypex FusionAmps. A pair of FA123s aren't that much more than a DM7 and include the DSP for a pair of active 3-ways.

OP
W

wgh52

If you don't already have amps, or if you just want to tidy the connections to the speakers, you should probably have a look at the Hypex FusionAmps. A pair of FA123s aren't that much more than a DM7 and include the DSP for a pair of active 3-ways.
@somebodyelse
Thanks for your thinking and suggestions! The Amps are fixed because the (revised) electronics and chassis are from Backes & Müller BM-8 speakers, just the x-over and filtring is in the DSP solution. Therefore the DACs could be in the speaker or an extra housing.

As a solution to start out with I'm currently favouring the DIY (6 or) 8 Channel Khadas DAC option (if I keep the DEQX).

Greetings,
Winfried

OP
W

wgh52

Hi folks,

it seems like I have found a viable solution for my 8 channel DAC need:

Because I actually need two times 4-Channel DAC for my active 4-Way Stereo speakers (with external DSP x-over), the Khadas Tone1 really looks reasonable for my system. Two Tone1 boards inside each speaker would suffice, reduce the four analog cables to two digital (Stereo SPDIF) Lines and feed the power modules directly with very short cables. The preceeding DSP x-over will probably be a miniDSP nanoDIGI, the planned FIR room EQing and phase linearization could be done by an openDRC-DI.

Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions!
Winfried

Top Bottom