• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

120 hz hum-- not from my audio gear but from my house-- what to do about it?

Andolink

I have had this problem in every house and apartment I've ever lived in. It seems the electrical wiring in homes, offices, etc. always emits a 120 hz hum audible in varying degrees throughout the building. I've always been particularly sensitive to this and it has always undermined my attempts to achieve anything close to the audio ideal of a "black" background. Being primarily a classical music listener, it's especially noticable and annoying during the frequent very quiet passages in most of my favorite pieces.

Is there any way to defeat or at least attenuate this highly distracting noise in my listening environment?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
You are just one of the many who hears the hum. All over the world. There are parts of structures where the resonance is the greatest, some walls, rooms or in my case a few places where it is quite loud under the house (it's a pole home).

I proved a long time ago it is unrelated to the electrical connection to my home.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
It seems the electrical wiring in homes, offices, etc. always emits a 120 hz hum audible in varying degrees throughout the building.

Does it stop when you turn off the main breaker or RCD for the house?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

Even when we had a two day wide power outage caused by storms in our area, the hum under my house (where the steel poles attach to the bedrock), was still there.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Hmmm...

threni

Major Contributor
It's like tinnitus for whales! Perhaps it's whales humming?
Being primarily a classical music listener, it's especially noticable and annoying during the frequent very quiet passages in most of my favorite pieces.

Is there any way to defeat or at least attenuate this highly distracting noise in my listening environment?
I have mild tinnitus (undiagnosed but I guess it's that) which seems worse when I listen to quiet classical (I suppose I'm listening more intently at that point as it's never bothered me at any other point) and my solution is just to turn the volume up. Perhaps another solution is to treat the noise as tinnitus and try some of the techniques for minimizing its annoyance. Maybe listen to some 120hz sine tones before listening to music in case it seems quieter afterwards?

Last edited:

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I have had this problem in every house and apartment I've ever lived in. It seems the electrical wiring in homes, offices, etc. always emits a 120 hz hum audible in varying degrees throughout the building. I've always been particularly sensitive to this and it has always undermined my attempts to achieve anything close to the audio ideal of a "black" background. Being primarily a classical music listener, it's especially noticable and annoying during the frequent very quiet passages in most of my favorite pieces.

Have you ever consulted an ear doctor about this? Just so we don't get put on the wrong track and see it as an environmental problem.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I stuck the end of a TRS guitar cable attached to an ADC in my ear:

1682506074264.png

Plenty of EMF in that body area from the grid.

Maybe some folks eardrums or follicles are tickled by the EMF in the air all around us.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes indeed, it's tough to get away from line induced pickup. Well-shielded steel boxes have worked for me, when designing sensitive circuitry. But it's probably no fun living in a steel box!

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
As for the OP's question - if it is serious. I would first ask my wife if she also hears this humming. Or alternatively other people, preferably younger ones whose hearing is not yet damaged or impaired.

OP
Andolink

Andolink

I haven't tried that yet. I'll try that when the wife is away as she would not approve.

OP
Andolink

Andolink

OP
Andolink

Andolink

As for the OP's question - if it is serious. I would first ask my wife if she also hears this humming. Or alternatively other people, preferably younger ones whose hearing is not yet damaged or impaired.
I did that and she says she doesn't hear anything. But I really think she would hear it if she could compare with and without. I'm convinced she's just desensitized to it so doesn't notice that it's there.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I did that and she says she doesn't hear anything. But I really think she would hear it if she could compare with and without. I'm convinced she's just desensitized to it so doesn't notice that it's there.
Ok, I see! Difficult situation. :) ;)

But I would try to find another person to confirm the noise to make sure it's not just in my head.
I am lucky with my wife, she is also an experienced audiophile.

threni

Major Contributor
Need an abx test to be sure. Randomly turn the planet on and off blindfolded and see if you can tell which is which.

OP
Andolink

Andolink

to confirm the noise to make sure it's not just in my head
I'm 65 and have had tinnitis since age 26. I'm intimately familiar with the sounds I hear internally which is a white noise hissing type sound. I've learned to ignore that for the most part since it is without definite pitch. But the hum in my current and prior living spaces is obviously external. I do not hear it when I'm outside in a very quiet location.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Need an abx test to be sure. Randomly turn the planet on and off blindfolded and see if you can tell which is which.
I suggest throwing a cable across the local high tension lines to shut down the grid.

Top Bottom