• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another Roon thread - do I need it?

klettermann

Again and again I keep hearing how great Roon is. So, I keep reading about it and trying figure out how I'd really benefit and always come away feeling that I'm missing something or there's something I don't understand. Here's my scenario:

My "real" stereo is in a listening room (or will be after it's built, which will be soon). This includes a BlueOS Node 2i and Lumin U1 Mini for streaming. Probably 80% of my listening is Qubuz, the rest is CD's. There's also a small-but-nice mini sysgtem in my office fed by another Node 2i. In general I haven't been very interested in playing throughout the house. In fact, for that, there's a collection of Sonos stuff in most of the living areas. I hate it but it came from my partner and she likes it so it remains. The point is, playing music everywhere at once isn't very importent.

However, there's also a massive overkill server that I use primarily for video (Plex). The server also has a large music library that was given to me by a buddy (the issues with that are another topic). It's a mixed bag of formats, but mostly Apple AAC , M4A (Apple?) files with some FLAC and MP3 stuff as well. I'm not an Apple guy and know little about the Apple formats and little interest in learning. The library is not well organized so I don't really use it much. In the past I've played with Foobar and JRiver but always lost momentum. They just seemed to require too much fiddling around or required better library organization or naming conventions or whatever. I've also linked BlueOS and the Lumin controller to the library but it just seems clunky and annoying. To be sure, this may all be my own laziness in setting it up right.

This brings me back to Roon. What I'd like is for it to just look at the library, see everything and present it coherently. I'd like to search for something and find it where ever it exists, be it Qobuz or the library. I'm not that interested in all the info that Roon seems to pull up, but I guess that's a nice bonus. So could Roon be the solution to my scenario? Roon costs $$$ so I have to balance the value of integration (if it even does that) against the cost. I don't think the 2 week trial would be enough for me to properly evaluate so I'd have to go for a year. Any comments would be very helpful. Thanks and cheers,

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Roon offer a trial, remember to cancel your credit card at the end.
Keith

Chester

So I was in the same position as you about 5 years ago. I kept hearing about it and couldn’t see what all the fuss was about. I eventually tried it and would not be without it now. It’s kind of one of those things you need to experience to see the value. It’s lots of little things that make it great.

Sounds like it would do what you’re trying to do. Do the trial, you’ll know quite quickly if it’s for you or not.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
Perhaps you should start by listing what your priorities are.

Roon is even worse than JRiver or almost any other player when it comes to finding your music if you haven't tagged it properly. In fact it actually becomes unusable, especially if you have a large classical collection like mine which has been tagged inconsistently. Most other players allow you to browse by folder, including JRiver. JRiver can categorize your music based on what folder it is in, Roon can't do that. So - unless you want to spend some time fixing all the tags in thousands of files in your collection, you should forget about Roon.

SKBubba

What I'd like is for it to just look at the library, see everything and present it coherently.
Roon will do exactly that and a lot more. It can also incorporate and manage all your blueos roon ready and sonos devices, although I don't think it can sync between roon ready and sonos, but it doesn't sound like a priority for you.

P.S. There is a monthly subscription option if you want to try it for a more extended period.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you cannot see the point in roon don't bother. Some of us like it, others don't, if you are happy with what you use now just enjoy it.

OP
K

klettermann

Perhaps you should start by listing what your priorities are.

Roon is even worse than JRiver or almost any other player when it comes to finding your music if you haven't tagged it properly. In fact it actually becomes unusable, especially if you have a large classical collection like mine which has been tagged inconsistently. Most other players allow you to browse by folder, including JRiver. JRiver can categorize your music based on what folder it is in, Roon can't do that. So - unless you want to spend some time fixing all the tags in thousands of files in your collection, you should forget about Roon.
Thanks to all. I went back and looked at the library to refresh my memory. I pretty much dropped the whole project when I took up steaming in a big way. The library turns out to be over 25,000 files though many are just cover art etc. Still, a lot of stuff (~850Gb, 4263 folders and 1 folder per album more or less). Anyway, the above comment was my main concern. After getting it all reloaded onto BlueOS and reindexed it actually looks pretty good! It looks like there's value to Roon if it can more or less integrate that with streaming content, which I understand that it can. So I guess I'll give it a whirl. Thanks again and cheers,

jdjung

Thanks to all. I went back and looked at the library to refresh my memory. I pretty much dropped the whole project when I took up steaming in a big way. The library turns out to be over 25,000 files though many are just cover art etc. Still, a lot of stuff (~850Gb, 4263 folders and 1 folder per album more or less). Anyway, the above comment was my main concern. After getting it all reloaded onto BlueOS and reindexed it actually looks pretty good! It looks like there's value to Roon if it can more or less integrate that with streaming content, which I understand that it can. So I guess I'll give it a whirl. Thanks again and cheers,
Also though you didn't mention it, download Roon Arc and now you can listen to your music anywhere with your phone. Also, rip any cds that you want that is not on the streaming service and now you can stream them as well.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All I've seen is Roon might organize better than you can otherwise and perhaps offer some suggestions/media to go with. I can do that for myself already, see no need for Roon's help myself. YMMV.

jdjung

All I've seen is Roon might organize better than you can otherwise and perhaps offer some suggestions/media to go with. I can do that for myself already, see no need for Roon's help myself. YMMV.
Try the DSP and if you haven't done it yet, buy a Umik1 and use Roon for room correction. Roon not only has PEQ but convolution filters for speaker imbalance. Also while using headphones try the Crossfeed dsp.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Try thr DSP and if you haven't done it yet, buy a Umik1 and use Roon for room correction. Roon not only has PEQ but convulsion filters for speaker imbalance. Also while using headphones try the Crossfeed dsp.
I already have sufficient dsp otherwise as well, as well as more comprehensive. I just don't find a use for it (i.e. Roon)....maybe if freeware.

JSmith

Master Contributor

JSmith

jdjung

I already have sufficient dsp otherwise as well, as well as more comprehensive. I just don't find a use for it (i.e. Roon)....maybe if freeware.
You do have Plex, so the streaming may not matter. I don't have Plex nor DSP outside of Roon, so the Umik made a huge difference for me for room correction. Other than organization, I don't really know if you need it then. Does Plex do radio stations?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You do have Plex, so the streaming may not matter. I don't have Plex nor DSP outside of Roon, so the Umik made a huge difference for me for room correction. Other than organization, I don't really know if you need it then. Does Plex do radio stations?
I used Plex, but gave up on it, didn't care for it much as very limited quality levels available between the users (as I was setup with originally).

jdjung

I used Plex, but gave up on it, didn't care for it much as very limited quality levels available between the users (as I was setup with originally).
That is a Roon plus. My gf uses Roon whenever she drives and any albums she buys (she likes vinyl), I record and upload for her to listen to.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That is a Roon plus. My gf uses Roon whenever she drives and any albums she buys (she likes vinyl), I record and upload for her to listen to.
How is Roon with multich?

Top Bottom