• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Your Brain: Perception Deception

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry it isn't available everywhere.
Here are a couple links but I doubt they will work outside the USA. Maybe if you have a VPN with a USA server location it would.

The first part is mostly about vision. It starts with some nice illustrations of sound at the 21:25 point in the video. The very first demo says it turns out, that what we often hear is mostly influenced by labels we read. The second one is the Yanny vs Laurel issue where different people hear one or the other.

Last edited:
OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is the follow up episode:

Andysu

Major Contributor
video the video on your phone load to your channel then re - post , oh just pause and resume recording there maybe certain part of the video that is being censored ?

Trell

Major Contributor
video the video on your phone load to your channel then re - post , oh just pause and resume recording there maybe certain part of the video that is being censored ?
It’s geo-blocking of IP addresses and not censorship as such. This is typically for commercial content all over the world, but even public broadcast companies like BBC does it as well. Same for Swedish public broadcast.

OP
Blumlein 88

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to share it, but that is a little too close to some possible copyright issue I don't want to become ensnared with. For all I know they show their episodes over some channel in Europe and possibly you have to pay for it. A VPN is legal if not used for illegal purposes. So though it would work over a VPN with a USA server to choose even that might not be kosher. I am not sure.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
The topic is interesting. In the current issue of 'Lettre International' Germany there is a very long article about the latest findings on how music and language are processed by the brain. For copyright reasons I can quote the article only very briefly in excerpts in the ASR.

The title: Wilde Welt der Musik

... a neuroengineer at Columbia University, and others have subsequently demonstrated that certain neurons in the cortex respond to certain consonants and syllables in our utterances. If one observes which neurons are activivated, it is possible to reconstruct the sentence that a subject has just spoken. It even predict which note of a song a person is preparing to listen to: The brain can recognize which melody is being played, and therefore seems to activate the relevant neurons in advance.

... the path that music takes through the brain is never straight. It's less like the sound that runs through a speaker wire and more like the data that flows through the Internet: Every phrase, rhythm, and sound is dissected, distributed, and reassembled in an infinitely complex network. It's even difficult to isolate the signal.

... As the synthesizer standing a few rooms away was developed, Sulzer told his students that the sounds he produced were mathematically too perfect to be musical. A pure sine wave is boring as hell" he said. Circuits had to be built in to contaminate it a bit. As it turns out, a little noise is essential to the sound of any instrument. Woodwind instruments croak, bows grind, voices hum and strings blur in overtones and harmonics.

letttre.jpg

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
okay , then what is the title of the video on yt ?

Top Bottom