• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Yamaha HS8 MP vs Kali IN-8 2nd Wave vs Focal Alpha 80 vs Dynaudio LYD-8

Jeremy Tobacco

I know they are not even in the same category but how would you compare IN-8s to Yamaha HS8S?
I am bouncing between
- Yamaha HS8 MP
- Kali IN-8 2nd Wave
- Focal Alpha 80
- Dynaudio LYD-8

Very hard to decide especially considering higher price tag of the last two. I have no chance of trying any of these out in the country I live in so brutally honest comments from people who are experienced with these products would be really appreciated. Thank you.

OP
J

Jeremy Tobacco

No. Believe me, I live on an isolated island and totally not into the market. Our chord is cut with the rest of the world here, an unrecognised de facto government. This is a sincere post from a guy who has no chance to try out any of these product and trying to make a decision and make the purchase before economy gets even worse than it already is. A friend of mine might be able to make the purchase from UK or Germany and bring them with himself on the plane. This is another reason for the topic of this threat. If it sounds dull, I am sorry for the wrong impression.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, you might tell us your budget, and what you expect.

OP
J

Jeremy Tobacco

Well, you might tell us your budget, and what you expect.
I have €1000. These will be my first monitors so adapting from another one is not a thing. I did plenty of research however I don't have the chance to try so my best shot is to ask the people who are experienced. Tbh, if have the chance, using 3-way monitors sound more logical to me. My priority is to get the one with the most neutral sound possible and good imaging. I read alot about the harsh highs of the Yamahas and it made me think how much of an ear fatigue this can cause, since I have no idea whatsoever. Thank you.

TimW

Major Contributor
The Yamaha HS7 measured here didn't do too well, maybe the HS8 is better but I wouldn't have high hopes. The Kali IN-8 V2 measures pretty well but not any better than the 2-way options due to the ragged on axis treble caused by the coaxial midrange. The Dynaudio LYD-5 measured surprisingly well for a design without a waveguide but I imagine the 8" version would not fare as well. The Focal Alpha 65 has the typical strange directivity of their inverted dome tweeters and lots of resonances, I wouldn't expect much from the Alpha 80.

The best entry level 8" monitor I have seen measurements of is the JBL 308P. Very similar in performance but with less noisy amplification is the Kali LP-6 V2. I would recommend one of those based on the measurements.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
We carry where I work Kali, Yamaha, JBL and others. The JBL 308 and Kali LP-8 are close and I would take either of those over the HS-8. The IN-8 I would rank better than either of those two by a good margin.
I haven't heard the Dynaudio but have heard the Alpha 80 but no side by side comparisons. I do like some of Focals other models. From memory I would go with the IN-8 over it. I really like the midrange on the IN-8, reminds me of the Genelec's. I consider the IN series a great value. I've borrowed a pair from work and have them in my family room right now. I think I am going to buy them since I can get them near cost but will go with IN-5 due to some space constraints.

bloomdido

Didn't hear any of the mentioned models but taking into account Erin singing praise in his review and also that you yourself seem to incline towards Kalis already I'd go for them. I don't think you will be disappointed. Kalis and similar monitors seem to be probably the best use of those $1000 you have in hifi audio.

bloomdido

I'd recommend changing the title of the thread if possible mentioning model names to attract owners who'd share their experience.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Kali IN-8 2nd wave would be my suggestion.

Top Bottom