• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why, for the same song, I'd like one master compared to anothers?

olbobcat

I’m personally not into Midnight Oil, but if the new versions are indeed remixes of the old albums (if that'what you mean by “musically different”), then it's really strange if they remove the original versions from the streaming platforms.

Just to make sure we are comparing apples with apples... :)

Remix: Elements in the songs are added, removed, or panned differently.

Remaster: The tone is changed by EQ, and/or the dynamics are altered in some way but the mix is still the same.

So what exactly was changed in Midnight Oil’s songs?
Like Sneaker Pimps has 6 Underground and 6 underground (Nellee Hoopers version).

OP
Nowhk

Nowhk

Definition of "song" seems to be a bigger issue than I can imagine for the OP? Maybe he means a particularly recorded/mixed track?
Not only Definition I would say, but "what it is" in practical terms.
Probably a philosophic question, which make me think harder (very, very harder).

Example: if I change the tone of a song (by remaster) or alter some fx (on mix stage), or even alter some notes (on composition), I would say "its the same song", as you can confirm (and me too, without any hard thinking).
So should be somethings that link "some" elements, which will recall a concept huge like this, a song.
Can't find any paper about it, neither any reserch or discussion/reasoning.

I would say the concept of "person" is the same: I can change my hair, but I'm still the same person; but this is a natural thing (innate stuff), and a characteristic is this (i.e. the change).
Rather than a song, which is a "product", made from somebody, with some conditions: a "final" product!

Top Bottom