• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why BOOMERS Hate POP Music - YouTube

simplex

Well, the old writers used pen and paper. And then typewriters appeared. George RR Martin still uses "WordStar", a program from the 80's.
Nothing wrong with that! I love T.C. Boyle's books, and I think he uses a computer text processor. But as far as I know he does not sit back and let some computer software generate his books.

Here is what happened to vocoders in 2005.
Sorry, don't get your vocoder point ... but possibly I would love her voice if she only showed a bit of it ...

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
Sorry, don't get your vocoder point ... but possibly I would love her voice if she only showed a bit of it ...

Maybe this helps. You can see how it's done, and hear her voice!

Last edited:

LeftCoastTim

Forum Donor
Excessive use of computer audio in the studios kills musicality, as well as excessive use of alcohol kills common sense. Enjoyed moderately, both 'drugs' can be fun!

I love computerization of music. It's a kind of democratization actually.

What would Mozart do with one of these? (edit: different link)
old link https://www. youtube.com/watch?v=3vC5TsSyNjU

Last edited:

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What would Mozart do with one of these? (edit: different link)
old link https://www. youtube.com/watch?v=3vC5TsSyNjU
I've often wondered what a composer like that would make of modern DAWs, freed from any limitations in what they can do.

I kind of like that old people don't like young people's music, feels like the natural order of things. There is a ton of music of all types out there, just find the stuff you like and then be enthusiastic about it.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I've often wondered what a composer like that would make of modern DAWs, freed from any limitations in what they can do.

I kind of like that old people don't like young people's music, feels like the natural order of things.
Heh, imagine Beethoven rocking out with today's equipment. :D

Yes it feels normal but also really weird if you catch yourself being disconnected from what is popular today. When most modern music started being mere random noise to my ears was one of the first signs I noticed that I was definitely getting ... old(er).

._.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I think it's usually written by boomers! Aren't there a lot of 40+ people writing the teeny bopper stuff?

I mean, at the very least it was boomers who wrote the software. What if some of those plugins are written in FORTRAN.

Boomer is older than 40+.

Boomers were born immediately post WWII and the 2 decades thereafter.

Gen Xer here, born in the 1970s, and not a Boomer.

paulraphael

I get your point, but I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. He's using a musician's understanding to compare what's popular today to what was popular when boomers were young and finds that the new stuff is less sophisticated and more sterile than the old stuff. So far so good. He then makes the logical leap that this isn't just correlated to what boomers like but in fact causative. I think that needs more evidence.

Right ... you don't need much theory to think "this stuff's boring." But theory can help you articulate why it might be.

Going much beyond that, convincingly, would require sociology research that's probably beyond his means and ours.

Robin L

Master Contributor
I recall from "It Was 20 Years Ago Today"---an ITC show that covered both the Beatles, around the time of Sgt. Pepper, and the social scene of 1967 [produced in 1987 to commemorate the CD issue of said album]---a music critic speaking, representing the classical wing: "Music is an encapsulation of time". And that's about the size of it.

As regards "Boomers", I'm in the center of that, born in 1955. The "Boomer" era extends as far forward as born in 1965. If you're younger than that, you're not a Boomer. Boomers are, for the most part, senior citizens, and soon all of the Boomers will be senior citizens. I can listen to modern pop music. I've seen enough of that guy's videos to know he's got a Boomer skew and Boomer prejudices. There's plenty of new stuff that I like, but there's no denying the pull of the past. Everything that is a recording is historical: It's only new the moment it's made. I doubt I'm listening to anything "new" as of this moment, my M.O. is to check out the next big thing a few years later. This comes from [in my previous life] obsessively buying discs of various sorts once they've made it to the used or cut-out bins.

The reality is, as we get older, we fill ourselves up with music of the past, and that past has a major pull on our musical prejudices. I think the pop garbage of my earliest youth functions the same way as pop garbage of this era does, as a way of irritating parents. The music of each and every era reflects that kind of "new" that the parents will hate. I guess I can embrace more music of the present than most folks my age in large part because I've never been a parent.

The Beatles, when they first arrived, were closer [historically speaking] to the Edison Cylinder than we are [now] to the Beatles.

Last edited:

paulraphael

I'm surprised that he's aiming his critique so sharply at the previous 10 years. I worked at MTV in the early 2000s, and thought most of the music we featured on TRL—basically all the chart-topping stuff—was boring for all the reasons he's mentioning here. Maybe autotune wasn't as big a thing yet.

But my criticisms then were the same as now—it sounds like what made me hate the 80s. In the 80s I was supposed to be in my musical formative years, but thought most of the music sucked. I wasn't enough of a music head to discover all the great alt / indy stuff from the era . It was the music on the radio and most of my classmates' walkmen that formed my opinion. Huey Lewis, anyone? Most of the featured hits on I Heart Radio over the last 20 years sound to me like they're beamed straight from Huey's preserved brain in a jar.

Music from off the beaten path is a completely different story. If you look for it, you can find amazing stuff made by artists of every generation.

simplex

What would Mozart do with one of these?
It's not the tools that are good or bad, it's what we do with them.
If you like music that's generated by computers for the most part, that's absolutely ok. But just have a look at the opening post: it's about different things, infamous 'loudness war' being part of it.
This thread should not be a fight between different musical tastes of any kind.

simplex

Maybe this helps. You can see how it's done ...
Not really ... if this were true, driving schools would present you a 10 minute video of a guy driving a car. After watching it, you would get your licence, because you saw how it's done ...

... and hear her voice!
No, this is not 'her voice', it's electronics for the most part.

Top Bottom