• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wharfedale Denton 85 vs Polk R200

wunderblunder

Wharfedale Denton 85 vs Polk R200?

Hi, I currently have these for a desk setup in a small room:
  • atom dac
  • schiit saga+
  • schiit vidar
  • kef q150
  • monoprice sw-15
i sort of feel like the q150s sound too clinical and bright. So it feels a little fatiguing. I'm looking for something less clincal, more fun/concert like, and immersive?

For people that have tried both, how do they compare?

Penelinfi

IMG_20230604_102748.jpg

Danny measured them; red curve is "on axis". Also better with the grill On (these measurements)

JLGF1

Is that with or without the GR magic xover?

JLGF1

At first I thought also about Linton 85, but there is also Denton 85, which is what the op is asking.

If the larger Linton's closely align with the R200's measurements then it seems logical that the smaller Denton's would not.

Ninjastar

I've owned both the R200 and Denton 80th Anniversary (not 85th) so not quite the comparison you were looking for.

I think the R200 may be too large for a desktop/nearfield setup. I would look for a 5" driver for that application so the R100 might be more appropriate in that usage case.

The ring radiator tweeter can kind of beam if you sit on-axis so you will likely need to turn them slightly off-axis to avoid brightness.

Another option to consider for a desktop is Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 if you are trying to avoid brightness/clinical sound:

However I don't feel those have a concert/fun like sound (I had the 12.2), more of a neutral sound signature.

If you are looking for concert/fun type sound, maybe consider the JBL L52:

Lots of subjective reviews on YouTube saying those have a fun sound signature without sounding too bright and JBL generally makes good loudspeakers.

OP
W

wunderblunder

I've owned both the R200 and Denton 80th Anniversary (not 85th) so not quite the comparison you were looking for.

I think the R200 may be too large for a desktop/nearfield setup. I would look for a 5" driver for that application so the R100 might be more appropriate in that usage case.

The ring radiator tweeter can kind of beam if you sit on-axis so you will likely need to turn them slightly off-axis to avoid brightness.

Another option to consider for a desktop is Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 if you are trying to avoid brightness/clinical sound:

However I don't feel those have a concert/fun like sound (I had the 12.2), more of a neutral sound signature.

If you are looking for concert/fun type sound, maybe consider the JBL L52:

Lots of subjective reviews on YouTube saying those have a fun sound signature without sounding too bright and JBL generally makes good loudspeakers.
thanks Ninjastar!

i'll look into it. For my interest, how do the R200 and Denton 80th compare in your opinion?

Ninjastar

The R200 is a really solid speaker. The measurements show it as a very neutral sounding speaker. In my subjective experience, it had a slightly warm sounding midrange but otherwise very neutral sound, very extended high frequency response without sounding too bright. I could not really find anything wrong with it. It sounds like a well-made speaker. It also has good bass for a bookshelf speaker.

The Denton 80th was also nice, but not as good IMO as the R200. The bass was leaner (it has a 5" driver so no surprise) and it was not as resolving as the R200. It was a polite sounding speaker. Fit and finish however was fantastic as it features real wood veneer. The 85th has a 6.5" driver so I'm sure it sounds pretty different.

OP
W

wunderblunder

thanks!

and looked into the jbl L52s and they look promising! i like the treble knob too

how does the denton 80th compare to the jbl l52s?

tkin

Hi,
I have considered exactly those speakers. Build quality of Denton 85 is superb, especially in Mahogany. In my subjective opinion Denton 85 are amazing if you listen to vocals all the time, soundstage is nice and wide - they however lack bass/subbass crispness which is really obvious with classical music. Polk r200 does deliver it better, with faster tempo and to my liking it makes it simply better speaker.

I own Denton 80th in walnut for sleeping room, as I have fallen in love with those vocals and build quality so much. It doesn't have as deep bass nor elevated treble as 85, but it's alright for my needs.

Top Bottom