• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vinyl Record Industry Fears 'Vinylgeddon' After Fire Burns Down Apollo Masters Plant

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8550477/vinyl-record-industry-apollo-masters-plant-fire

The manufacturing and storage facility for Apollo Masters Corp. -- a Banning, Calif.-based manufacturing plant that supplies the lacquer used for making master discs, which are then used to create vinyl records -- has burned down in a massive fire, the company confirmed in a statement posted to its official website.

"Unless something happens really quickly, there will soon be Vinylgeddon," said Tamazyan, who estimates that Apollo supplies 80% of blank lacquer master discs globally.

If any of you guys have some records on your buying list, I suggest you get them now.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was quite concerned about the effects of the Apollo Masters fire, given I buy lots of vinyl and like to see that industry thrive.

Then the Pandemic hit and I thought...well...perhaps there goes the vinyl comeback. It was hanging by a thread, and now plants and transportation etc will be shut down.

So color me very surprised by this:

Vinyl sales rock on in spite of Covid-19
VinylRecord-e1597781287610.jpg

https://qz.com/1851227/vinyl-sales-rock-on-in-spite-of-covid-19/

Vinyl bounced back in a big way, so it once again by this time has gained over last year's sales!

I did note that all my local vinyl stores remained open - first for ordering over phone or online, and then opened up once this was ok'd here in Toronto. I was also surprised to see MORE record shops open around me during this time. And I'd bought a bunch of vinyl from discogs and my local guy. But, still, I didn't know vinyl had bounced back from the abyss so strongly!

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom