• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using upright center speaker?

JRS

Major Contributor
So I am pondering my first foray into a multichannel set up and have bought a pair of Elac Debut Reference 6.2 for the front L and R.. Because the "matching" Elac center speaker has received mix reviews, I have wondered about using a third Debut Reference speaker instead. Below is the stand I am thinking about buying. The shelf is moveable so that I can easily fit the speaker in the space between the TV and shelf, but it would put the tweeter about 20" high. I'm thinking that with a short wedge shaped stand angled upwards I can direct the to ear level. Given my lack of experience and the significant investment involved whether this is a viable approach. I can always buy a horizontal speaker, getting the tweeter to something like 28" high. The other potential issue is the wooden upright--the dark areas are channels that go front to back that should mitigate boundary effects.

1679797039759.png

1679797325068.png

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can accommodate a matching L/R/C speaker, I'd do it (and do in one setup), altho matching tweeter height is a good thing. Horizontals are a compromise.

OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
That's encouraging. It's hard to get some solid numbers with the dimensions given. Its a 65 inch (about 33" tall) and I'd place it as high as possible.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. Using the exact same speakers for left, right, and center is always the best solution if you can accommodate them. That is how commercial cinemas do it and how we do it in our dedicated home theaters.

If you have to use a horizontal speaker, look for one that is not simply an MTM turned sideways. These speakers have poor horizontal dispersion.

jsilvela

Having the TV that high might make it uncomfortable to watch, unless your seating is angled up. Having to tilt your head up can be tiring for the neck.

For some time I used a center channel that was a regular bookshelf on a stand, with tweeter height similar to the Left and Right speakers.
It was only slightly more clunky than having only the L / R on speaker stands.
Thanks to the ventriloquism effect, did not notice at all that the center was to the right of the TV, once I let movies roll.
Same would apply to your idea of keeping low and angling up, I think (hope).

Not the question you were asking, but I'd consider putting the TV lower.
Personally I've converted to a horizontal design, which fits under the TV and makes my setup easier to turn when I have guests.
Got a coaxial KEF one, and can recommend it.

Top Bottom