• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Using an old W4S Integrated amp as Preamp

ameerm

I recently purchased a NAD 298 to upgrade and modernize my amplification.

Demoted to preamp duties is my W4S STI-500 integrated amp which was using at least a decade old technology in the Icepower ASP500 module. I connected the unbalanced pre-out of the W4S to the input of the 298 to make the system work.

Question is, is it best to internally disconnect the preamp section to the power amp modules since they are no longer used? Is there any advantage if I do that or should i just forget about it? This photo below isnt mine but should be the same - it is a W4S STI-500, if i understand things correctly i just need to remove the white connection on the top left of both modules, does that seem right?

A2D8CF0C-195A-479C-8381-BC0A0C18A833.jpeg

0C31BD85-EB87-48BA-8A93-6C8E242F8691.jpeg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless you can also pull the fuse on the amp modules I doubt matters.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting is that the reviews for this are from 2010 and 2011 so this unit has stood the test of time for going on maybe to ~11 to ~12 years. Some peeps here think class D does not stand the test of time and we don't know what to expect yet. How did you run your STI-500? Did you run it hard or did it lead a sheltered and protected life?

Wyred 4 Sound STI-500 Integrated Amplifier
Power Output 8Ω @ 0.2% THD+N: 250 watts
Power Output 4Ω @ 0.2% THD+N: 550 watts
Compact size (17”W x 4”H x 14.5”D)
Price: $1999.00
Warranty: 3 years to the original purchaser

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
if i understand things correctly i just need to remove the white connection on the top left of both modules, does that seem right?

That is the audio input to the modules, yes. But you will note there's 4 wires in that connection. Likely one is a trigger and/or mute.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Some peeps here think class D does not stand the test of time and we don't know what to expect yet.

I was just admiring the quality of the board, the components and construction on those ICE modules- way better than the Hypex units. No comparison really- the Hypex are not in the same league.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The amp modules' power supplies run the preamp stage. Full the fuses and the whole thing is dead.
Given that I would just use it as is. Class D power modules are not burning up very many watts.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was just admiring the quality of the board, the components and construction on those modules- way better than the Hypex units.
Do you think they sandwiched drivers under the PCB like they do today? That's a very tacky method. I see they have some/them(?) well mounted on the heatsink. I don't see any through holes for under the PCB mounting of them.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting is that the reviews for this are from 2010 and 2011 so this unit has stood the test of time for going on maybe to ~11 to ~12 years. Some peeps here think class D does not stand the test of time and we don't know what to expect yet. How did you run your STI-500? Did you run it hard or did it lead a sheltered and protected life?

I have the ST500 power amp. Until recently it's life was powering my Soundlabs esls. I am still using it on F208s.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Do you think they sandwiched drivers under the PCB like they do today? That's a very tacky method. I see they have some/them(?) well mounted on the heatsink.

The module pictured above has all the FETs/Trs properly mounted with individual spring clips to the extrusion for consistent mounting force.
The module product is properly earthed too. :)
The layout is more logical and safe with the HV section and connections away from the LV/Amp section, unlike the stupid layout of the Hypex units.
The TO-220 lead forming and mounting is much better than the Hypex.
There are high grade Elna caps (not sure about the large filter brand) on the PCB instead of cheap-ass Su'scons.

I'd buy modules built like that. They are going to last a long time.

OP
ameerm

ameerm

That is the audio input to the modules, yes. But you will note there's 4 wires in that connection. Likely one is a trigger and/or mute.
I checked the data sheet, it says its the standby/protect. I am not handy with electronics, but am i safe to assume i need to leave that wire alone and remove the other 3 to accomplish my goal?

0463B6EF-90B9-4B8B-A7D2-DC1DEAF8B1F8.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
ameerm

ameerm

Yeah i remember purchasing this amp after building a PC gaming rig with a Hard disk drive and no RGB stuff was prevalent yet. Imagine how long ago that was..

Honestly, this amp is not babied at all. It is almost always on all the time except when im away on vacation, doing multimedia duties powering a 4 ohm load which i learned here these modules arent happy doing. It is plugged in directly to the wall so whatever surge comes in, the unit takes. I sometimes hear the unit humming whenever somebody turns on the heater, but a quick hard reset resolves it. I dont see this unit dying just yet. Hope I dont jinx it.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah i remember purchasing this amp after building a PC gaming rig with a Hard disk drive and no RGB stuff was prevalent yet. Imagine how long ago that was..

Honestly, this amp is not babied at all. It is almost always on all the time except when im away on vacation, doing multimedia duties powering a 4 ohm load which i learned here these modules arent happy doing. It is plugged in directly to the wall so whatever surge comes in, the unit takes. I sometimes hear the unit humming whenever somebody turns on the heater, but a quick hard reset resolves it. I dont see this unit dying just yet. Hope I dont jinx it.
That's what I like to hear. :D Class D is taking off and becoming more popular everyday and it's good ta hear your unit is lasting well.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I essentially never turn my St500 off. Come to think of it this is the longest I've had an amp in continuous service. I think mine is from 2008?

Top Bottom