• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Under $700 headphones for Pop and EDM

lecter255

So I got HD6xx and my wife fell in love with them and want to get into the audiophile game too. I mainly listen to classical music, but, even though she's a trained pianist, she listens to mostly Pop or EDM, so I'm looking for something a bit different from HD6xx.

Currently I'm looking at DT1990 Pro (German quality and two pads for different bass characteristics is nice), Hifiman Sundara, and, if the price difference can justify it, Hifiman Ananda. I know about the quality control concerns for Hifiman, so if I do get them I'll get it off headphones.com because they have a 365 day return policy.

Source is Spotify highest quality to JDS Atom (thanks to amir's glowing review!). Can get a Topping D50s later if needed, or maybe wait for JDS Atom DAC to see how that measure up!

Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance folks!

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You'd likely want something with solid bass extension for EDM.

The LCD-2 Classic are a little over your budget at $799, but the bass is great and the shelved treble is very forgiving of poor mixes.

An E-MU or Massdrop Ebony could work as well, if you can find one. Quite good bass for dynamics and under budget. The treble is hotter and more sibilant thane the Audeze though. Don't base your decision on the fact they appear to be closed either. They leak almost as much sound as open headphones and have barely any more isolation.

The Beyers have brighter and sharper treble still which may not be a good choice for someone who loves a 6xx. OTOH, Beyer is definitely a different flavor. Personally I like the older (and cheaper) XX0 Beyer models better. Waiting a bit grabbing an all black 880 or 990 off Massdrop may not be a bad idea, especially considering the price.

OP
L

lecter255

You'd likely want something with solid bass extension for EDM.

The LCD-2 Classic are a little over your budget at $799, but the bass is great and the shelved treble is very forgiving of poor mixes.

An E-MU or Massdrop Ebony could work as well, if you can find one. Quite good bass for dynamics and under budget. The treble is hotter and more sibilant thane the Audeze though. Don't base your decision on the fact they appear to be closed either. They leak almost as much sound as open headphones and have barely any more isolation.

The Beyers have brighter and sharper treble still which may not be a good choice for someone who loves a 6xx. OTOH, Beyer is definitely a different flavor. Personally I like the older (and cheaper) XX0 Beyer models better. Waiting a bit grabbing an all black 880 or 990 off Massdrop may not be a bad idea, especially considering the price.
Thanks for the input! I really don't mind something different from HD6xx. Having a V shape frequency response seems fun. I'm just looking for the most suitable headphones for Pop and EDM. I'm quite happy with how HD6xx performs for classical music and I don't think I can get a true upgrade along the same vein unless I'm well into the 4-digit price category...

Last edited:

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
O that's a thought. What's your impression of the SRH1540?
Bass heavy, yet very detailed. For my listening taste i eq the bass down, eq the sub bas up (for better linearity) and eq down a peak around 2500 hz, certainly worth considering if you look for something bass heavy. Purchased it second hand for less than 300 $. A pair of new earpads cost approx 48 €.

OP
L

lecter255

Bass heavy, yet very detailed. For my listening taste i eq the bass down, eq the sub bas up (for better linearity) and eq down a peak around 2500 hz, certainly worth considering if you look for something bass heavy. Purchased it second hand for less than 300 $. A pair of new earpads cost approx 48 €.
That sounds good. What do you use for EQ?

Top Bottom