• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

UAPP Toneboosters PEQ setting

Logan2

Hi everyone!

I am a newbie when comes to equalization, I hope someone can help me out here...

I have purchased UAPP (I am using G5 connected to Android smartphone via USB) just recently.

Up to now I have been using fixed band graphic EQs only.

I would like to set up my Toneboosters PEQ in UAPP according to Jaakko Pasanen's recommendations.

There are several different types of filters available in UAPP:

Low shelf, Low cut, Digital bell, Analog bell, High shelf, High cut, Low cut+gain, High cut+gain, Bandpass+gain, Notch+gain, Low shelf 2, Digital bell 2, High shelf 2, Low cut 1, High cut 1.

In Jaako's settings I can only see: Low shelf, High shelf and Peaking.

So my question is, which of the filter types above is equivalent of Jaakko's "Peaking"?

Also Jaako recommends to use either filters 1-5 or 1-10, based on number of filters available in PEQ.
What should I do if I have 6 filters available in UAPP?
Should I use 1-6? (please see Jaakko's PEQ settings attached).

Thank you so much for your help and advice.

Attachments

• PEQ.jpg
    PEQ.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
"Analog bell" is regular Peaking.

You can switch Toneboosters to 10 bands:
Screenshot_20230412-212602_USB Audio Player PRO.png Screenshot_20230412-212626_USB Audio Player PRO.png

If there are only 6 bands available, then I believe you should only use AutoEQ's first 5 bands.

MrNice13

Does inputing the values automatically set you a filter? In my case I need to mess with 30hz, 50hz, 4000 hz and 8000 hz freq so I keep analog bell for all of them ?

MRC01

Major Contributor
Also: don't forget to add an overall level cut to avoid clipping.
I've found that the 6-band version of PEQ in ToneBoosters in UAPP is buggy. The 10-band version is more reliable, so that's what I use.

MrNice13

I've found that the 6-band version of PEQ in ToneBoosters in UAPP is buggy. The 10-band version is more reliable, so that's what I use.
what you mean by adding an overall level cut ?

MRC01

Major Contributor
what you mean by adding an overall level cut ?
At the top of the 10-band PEQ form is a field called "Output Level". Set this to offset the maximum gain across all your PEQ settings.
For example, if your strongest PEQ band is +6 dB, then set output level to -6 dB.
PEQ bands that overlap will require a greater cut.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Buggy how? I use 6 band because I like the graph. I've noticed sometimes I can't change the preamp on 6 band but that's all.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Actually there are 10. Go to the three dots, and look at the pull down menu.
Wdym? I'm aware that Toneboosters can be set to 10-band. I show how in the post you quoted.

Last edited:

MRC01

Major Contributor
Buggy how? I use 6 band because I like the graph. I've noticed sometimes I can't change the preamp on 6 band but that's all.
Buggy in all kinds of ways. Some of the bands stop working. Sometimes the PEQ doesn't actually apply when it's turned on. I got tired of dealing with it so I switched to 10-band mode years ago and it's never had a problem.

Svensson

@Logan2 thanks for asking the questions - I had last night arrived at the same.
Incredibly helpful answrs by @staticV3 and others. You have answered all my questions too.

Hi everyone!

I am a newbie when comes to equalization, I hope someone can help me out here...

I have purchased UAPP (I am using G5 connected to Android smartphone via USB) just recently.

Up to now I have been using fixed band graphic EQs only.

I would like to set up my Toneboosters PEQ in UAPP according to Jaakko Pasanen's recommendations.

There are several different types of filters available in UAPP:

Low shelf, Low cut, Digital bell, Analog bell, High shelf, High cut, Low cut+gain, High cut+gain, Bandpass+gain, Notch+gain, Low shelf 2, Digital bell 2, High shelf 2, Low cut 1, High cut 1.

In Jaako's settings I can only see: Low shelf, High shelf and Peaking.

So my question is, which of the filter types above is equivalent of Jaakko's "Peaking"?

Also Jaako recommends to use either filters 1-5 or 1-10, based on number of filters available in PEQ.
What should I do if I have 6 filters available in UAPP?
Should I use 1-6? (please see Jaakko's PEQ settings attached).

Thank you so much for your help and advice.

Top Bottom