• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trinnov Releases Waveforming Technology to Compete with DIRAC's ART

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Quote from article:

“The result is perfect bass at EVERY seat location with minimal variance.”

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That looks veryyy complicated to develop. Here is a quote.

"Trinnov WaveFormingTM is part of an ongoing research and development project that began over six years ago and is likely to keep the Trinnov team busy over the next decade. At this early date, along with limited public exposure, few may be able to filly appreciate its potential. In the following phase of development, the research team will pursue a more comprehensive approach, with the mission to establish how WaveFormingTM will produce the best results in any existing environment, even without requiring a physical change to the room or subwoofer/speaker layout and placement."(sic)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought the conventional solution to the problem was to use multiple subs. That article went right over my head. Thank you for the info @AdamG247

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I thought the conventional solution to the problem was to use multiple subs.

That's part of what they are doing...
MIMO fundamentally alters this approach by incorporating not only multiple measurements (required to thoroughly sample the room and comprehend its behavior) but also multiple speakers to address the problem.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I thought the conventional solution to the problem was to use multiple subs. That article went right over my head. Thank you for the info @AdamG247
they are telling they used 4 subs.

When they published a scientific paper with some measurements we will see what Waveform is about.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It is very complicated stuff. I skimmed and scanned the article and realized it's just not what I am interested in enough to get into the nitty gritty details. I find it very impressive though. I thought you had a science degree before you went onto the further formal studies in your chosen professional occupation before you went into the other professional occupation. LoL... I'm complimenting you on 2 professional designations in your quiver of arrows. :D

Davide

Quote from article:

Very well written article. A very broad vision and a modern understanding of the topic. But I do not agree with the conclusion.
I'm glad to welcome these new (relatively) technologies for room correction. I say relatively because these technologies themselves have already existed for some time in the telecommunications sector.
That said, I remain skeptical of Trinnov's technology, not so much for effectiveness as for scalability.
Dirac ART is developed to make the most of what is there, where it is, without limit to the achievable benefit. It's just scalable and more effective out of the box, so to speak.
Trinnov Waveforming requires that the system has drivers with certain directivity characteristics (presumably, as the article also says) and more or less specific positions. So the consumer must already foresee all of this from the outset.
Not exactly a consumer product.
It is true that Trinnov is usually intended for a precise and niche clientele that will have no problem accommodating certain requirements.
However, from the point of view of collective technological progress, Dirac's approach seems to me much more valid and sustainable.
Sure, it would be nice to have some data to understand how much their algorithm scales as a function of the number of drivers and their low frequency extension, but maybe it's too random to tell and commercially double-edged.
But apart from that, this is why I disagree with the way the article portrays the Trinnov Waveforming technology.

But oh well, we are in the infancy of these approaches, and the potential milestones are just amazing, so I can't wait to see how they develop!
Maybe one day we can solve the room problem without spending a fortune on treatment (and then risk being thrown out of the house by the wife :p)

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quote from article:

It seems very niche right now for high end custom installs. I believe DBA with 3-4 subs on front and back wall is the required minimum number of subs. And as of now now other speakers are involved. I would guess that may change or evolve. I have not heard it but I would think it would work and sound great.
I do think that Dirac in this case is quite a bit ahead They too have been working on similair active cancelling concepts for 5-6 years and they have already been implemented in cars for several years. And they have just released Dirac ART which I can say actually works and has far exceeded my expectations. It is nice that there is competition and will be fun as they both evolve.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Forcing positions of speakers means it will remain extremely niche until that requirement is eliminated. Even most people with >$1K systems don't have total freedom with speaker placement, and that group is already (my guess) maybe 1% of the consumer market.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Forcing positions of speakers means it will remain extremely niche until that requirement is eliminated. Even most people with >$1K systems don't have total freedom with speaker placement, and that group is already (my guess) maybe 1% of the consumer market.
I agree, very small percentage of theater installs can or would want to install 6-8 subs of varying heights.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quote from article:

I don’t need perfect bass anywhere I just need it in my seating position. Does the Trinnov Nova incorporate this tech?

OP
AdamG

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
I don’t need perfect bass anywhere I just need it in my seating position. Does the Trinnov Nova incorporate this tech?
I have no idea as I don’t own or have owned this tech. I am posting as FYI and general knowledge. However I can take an educated guess and say if this tech can make perfect bass at multiple positions it surely can do one position with greater precision and less EQ required.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have no idea as I don’t own or have owned this tech. I am posting as FYI and general knowledge. However I can take an educated guess and say if this tech can make perfect bass at multiple positions it surely can do one position with greater precision and less EQ required.
I will find out soon. Just had 2 rhymik g25 delivered and placed behind me. That Trinnov Nova can’t come soon enough.

Matt_Holland

Here’s an interesting podcast regarding this technology.

CLICK

I was lucky enough to hear an early demonstration at ISE in Barcelona last year. Unfortunate room rattles aside it seemed to work. At least it reduced the SPL peaks in the position I was sat in on a sine wave sweep. In the movie content part of the demo in my opinion it robbed the presentation of some dynamics and bass “slam”. Perhaps they created too low an artificial reverb time, something the technology is capable of and is discussed in the podcast.

EDIT: Barcelona this year. Wishing the years away!

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here’s an interesting podcast regarding this technology.

CLICK

I was lucky enough to hear an early demonstration at ISE in Barcelona last year. Unfortunate room rattles aside it seemed to work. At least it reduced the SPL peaks in the position I was sat in on a sine wave sweep. In the movie content part of the demo in my opinion it robbed the presentation of some dynamics and bass “slam”. Perhaps they created too low an artificial reverb time, something the technology is capable of and is discussed in the podcast.

EDIT: Barcelona this year. Wishing the years away!
I didn’t listen to the podcast but I watched the YouTube video.

So with my room treatment i’m currently at 200ms. They want it even lower .

I’m not sure I want the processing to do that for me. I guess it will be a whole new era of experimentation.

Yes I can’t even keep track of the years anymore.

Top Bottom