• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Toyota news on solid state batteries

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
xpose it to oxygen during a crash or something, and you literally have a hydrogen bomb. Really scary stuff tbh.
No, you have the Hindenburg.
H-bomb needs a wee bit more energy input to get that fusion thing going. :)
But, yeah, scary enough.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well... In The Province of Alberta Canada all the coal fired electricity generation facilities have been converted to natural gas. Saving ~1/2 the emissions. So we are still burning stuff to generate electricity. There is some wind and solar and more solar is being installed every month but wind and solar is not a solution here. It's to augment the main electricity generating method. Wind and solar need a off-peak storage method to be effective and we simply don't have a storage method. Nuclear is being considered for some areas.
Natural gas certainly burns quite clean if you have access to it. I believe that there is a place for all of the various power generation methods to be part of the solutions. I have neighbors who are positioned well for solar. So they mounted it to their house and drastically lowered their power bill, But I am waiting to see if the solar panels on their roof help the new roof get torn off the next big hurricane that we have.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Natural gas certainly burns quite clean if you have access to it. I believe that there is a place for all of the various power generation methods to be part of the solutions. I have neighbors who are positioned well for solar. So they mounted it to their house and drastically lowered their power bill, But I am waiting to see if the solar panels on their roof help the new roof get torn off the next big hurricane that we have.
Yes but since it is made of low molecular weight hydrocarbons, it produces plenty of CO2 (e.g., 3 mol per mol of propane, if completely oxidized).

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes but since it is made of low molecular weight hydrocarbons, it produces plenty of CO2 (e.g., 3 mol per mol of propane, if completely oxidized).
Well, is it better than coal for the moment? I think that is the point: To get better & better as we figure things out.
There is no miracle: switch to this & their are no problems anymore.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Well, is it better than coal for the moment? I think that is the point: To get better & better as we figure things out.
There is no miracle: switch to this & their are no problems anymore.
I do agree there.

OP
A

Addicted to music

I’m a little shocked about the resistance to EVs I’m seeing on this forum. A long range Tesla could take me on the longest road trip I could ever desire (10 hours) with one forty minute stop, I’d never go to another dirty gas station again, and my car (and house!) could be powered by lighting up my roof with a PV array. Even attached to the grid, the average consumer in the USA would save $7/100 miles, not to mention more savings on auto repair costs in spite of Tesla’s allege poor quality. There is also no evidence they catch fire more often ICE automobiles - my only guess is that this is a myth exacerbated by the fear of dealing with lithium fires.

Of course little of this is related to the thread topic, a new solid state battery, which would improve cold temperature operation, energy density, longevity, and fire safety.

take my hat of to you for getting into the EV revolution.. yes I’ve seen figures where a Tesla can do Sydney to Melb in similar time except that the Tesla requires around 2hrs to charge to get there in separate breaks, so it is doable...
Elon has been quoted “there is no evidence they catch fire more than ICE... “. Most Teslas that do catch fire is due to the battery pack been physically compromised or the battery management has gone faulty, with ICE, fuel can be stored greater than 60C and there is no thermal runway until the vapours are exposed with an ignition source! There’s also a case where a plugged overheated, and the engineers at testa have incorporated a thermal fuse, noe that said why wasn’t this “thermal fuse” a $2 part that’s found in all electric kettles wasn’t implemented from the starting point...

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
take my hat of to you for getting into the EV revolution.. yes I’ve seen figures where a Tesla can do Sydney to Melb in similar time except that the Tesla requires around 2hrs to charge to get there in separate breaks, so it is doable...
Elon has been quoted “there is no evidence they catch fire more than ICE... “. Most Teslas that do catch fire is due to the battery pack been physically compromised or the battery management has gone faulty, with ICE, fuel can be stored greater than 60C and there is no thermal runway until the vapours are exposed with an ignition source! There’s also a case where a plugged overheated, and the engineers at testa have incorporated a thermal fuse, noe that said why wasn’t this “thermal fuse” a $2 part that’s found in all electric kettles wasn’t implemented from the starting point...
I make a number of trips a year that involve 2300-2500 miles in a 3 day to 6 day period. That does not include the driving around at the 3 or 4 locations I'm going to while caving (spelunking), riding roller coasters, visiting the Corvette plant, going to the Rock & Roll hall of fame and other activities. The cars that I enjoy are not Tesla's. A well modded Honda CRX, well modded Pontiac Trans Am or well modded El Camino, depending on my needs. Cornering with and having the ride qualities of a Porsche 928S comes to mind. A lot of places I go on these trips a TESLA wouldn't get to were I was going simply because it could not. And if it broke (and it likely would). Look at the roads that were not HWY's in Smokey & the Bandit.
If you would run an EV on them, go ahead. I won't. Tesla's only worth a damn if you stay on major roads. That is something I rarely do.

Mashcky

Forum Donor
I make a number of trips a year that involve 2300-2500 miles in a 3 day to 6 day period. [...] A lot of places I go on these trips a TESLA wouldn't get to were I was going simply because it could not. And if it broke (and it likely would). [...] Tesla's only worth a damn if you stay on major roads. That is something I rarely do.
EVs aren’t for you yet but you’re also not a typical driver. They are ready for the typical driver who can afford them. In several years when you can get a solid state battery, do the math again and it may start to make sense.

I am not sure what you mean by it breaking. Most of their models are below average in reliability but the Model 3 has been more reliable than most autos, so it depends what we’re taking about.

The timeline discussed in the Ars piece for Toyota’s battery is just shocking... to see a prototype next year would be incredibly exciting. Let’s hope that’s not optimistic.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EVs aren’t for you yet but you’re also not a typical driver. They are ready for the typical driver who can afford them. In several years when you can get a solid state battery, do the math again and it may start to make sense.

I am not sure what you mean by it breaking. Most of their models are below average in reliability but the Model 3 has been more reliable than most autos, so it depends what we’re taking about.

Here are some of the roads (in these videos being taken by motorcycles) when the roads are in the best conditions that they get to be in (road work having been recently done).
&
&

Last edited:
Top Bottom