• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tomorrow Dec 25th 2021, is a very big day! James Webb Scope is headed out.

JRS

Major Contributor
Barring a sudden change in the weather, or some glitch in the preparation for liftoff of the very capable Ariane 5 Rocket, the James Webb Space Telecope will be lifted toward an orbit about the sun nearly a million miles away from Earth, making it inaccessible for repairs or maintenance like those needed for Hubble. In other words, we have one shot to get this right and there is a lot on the line. Of course there is the money--a cool 10 billion dollars, about twice that of the original estimate. But frankly this is peanuts compared to so many other expenses, such a loss is a trifle. No what is at stake is thirty five years of sweat, toil and many furrowed brows as scientists and engineers coped with designing a project that was conceived before Hubble was even launched. One has to think well in advance for projects of this kind of technological derring-do, and the costs for science of this sort--no "tangible" immediate benefit to the lives of Earthlings--distributed over time. Besides which some of the technology had yet to be invented. And time it has taken: so many set backs and delays, from the original launch date of 2014, now set for tomorrow at 07:20 EST.

God speed JWST!

And lest I forget Merry Xmas, etc. Here's a song with a little joke re JWST.

Early history: https://www.stsci.edu/jwst/about-jwst/history
A solid explanation of the science: https://www.dailykos.com/stories/20...bb-Space-Telescope-is-finally-about-to-launch
<edit> An excellent video which discusses the awesome engineering that went into the spacecrafts parasol (made of kapton) that functions as a five layered thermos bottle and the primary mirror.
(Ah to know my woofers with use Kapton--Aluminum formers actually has something in common with the Webb. :D
A better version IMHO:

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes - a very big day.

I got a look from Mrs TC today when I said we'd have to schedule or travel around the launch time (12:20 ish our time) so I can watch it live :facepalm::rolleyes::D

OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
Yes - a very big day.

I got a look from Mrs TC today when I said we'd have to schedule or travel around the launch time (12:20 ish our time) so I can watch it live :facepalm::rolleyes::D
Yes should have mentioned NASA will televise it, and there will be many webcasts. The Ariane has flown successfully 80 missions in a row, so there is that. Nevertheless, I suspect there will be many administrators. scientists, and engineers on the edge of their seats.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Even with a successful launch we still have six months until it fully unfurls, reaches L2, and hopefully goes successfully through its 300 or so operations before it's ready to start capturing images.

OP
J

JRS

Major Contributor
And I read that it will be two years before first light. I suspect there will be glimpses on the way, but imagine that kind of wait.Tomorrow is one of many gut churning moments before the mirrors and umbrella are deployed, the instruments booted, and we begin the mind boggling data feast that will feed a good number of docs and post docs. I am really glad to be alive for the science that is waiting, both known questions, but especially all those, ones we can't anticpate, you know those WTF momets that with luck are sprinkled into a career.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
That's why I sit back and relax.
Much like when I take a flight I don't worry. It almost all takes care of itself if you prepare well enough.
They're gonna light this candle, and then we're gonna wait and wait until we forget it was here and finally after more than 2 years we're gonna have some results.;)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys it won't take two years. This is from webbtelescope.org/quick facts:

"After reaching its orbit, Webb undergoes science and calibration testing. Then, regular science operations and images will begin to arrive, approximately six months after launch. However, it is normal to also take a series of "first light" images that may arrive slightly earlier."

So we get to open our Christmas presents in June. Fingers crossed!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It will be furthest satellite in orbit, 1.5 million km away (930,000 miles). Four times the distance of the moon! Compare that with Hubble, which is at 547 km away (340 miles). That is 4300 times more!

Last edited:

warnerwh

It will be furthest satellite in orbit, 1.5 million km away (930,000 miles). A quarter of the distance to the moon! Compare that with Hubble, which is at 547 km away (340 miles). That is 4300 times more!
A quarter of the distance to earth's moon or? Because earth's moon when it's at it's furthest is 252,000 miles. Am I missing something?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A quarter of the distance to earth's moon or? Because earth's moon when it's at it's furthest is 252,000 miles. Am I missing something?
I thought four times but wrote quarter. I’ll correct my post. Thank you.

dc655321

Major Contributor
@JRS or @BDWoody: are you able to fix the spelling in the thread title? Please.

All finger and toes crossed for an uneventful launch...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It will be furthest satellite in orbit, 1.5 million km away (930,000 miles). Four times the distance of the moon! Compare that with Hubble, which is at 547 km away (340 miles). That is 4300 times more!
Also - it is not in an orbit around the earth, but an orbit around the sun.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Worrisome that cannot be repaired. So easy for malfunction with complex project.
Is there a rocket that can bring anybody there and back then? Iirc the space shuttle was only capable of going to earth orbit and the sls is comprised of solid rocket fuel. If the sls goes, it goes and cannot be stopped and re-ignited.

Imo the only rocket that might be capable of interesting missions beyond our current frontier is the spacex starship in development.

Anyway, many good tech is just not made for repairs as it only adds to cost and lowers reliability of a product. At least that's what I gathered from watching Munro's teardowns.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also - it is not in an orbit around the earth, but an orbit around the sun.
Really? How are they going to communicate with it when it is at the other side of the sun? Or is its synced to earth so that it is stationary in respect to earth?

Top Bottom