• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tinnitus, hearing loss, and Bright Speakers

terfenol-D

I have tinnitus and high frequency hearing loss (basically deaf above 3k hz). I just bought Kef R3 as I really liked the LS50 but wanted more bass. The Erin's Audio Corner review suggests angling the speakers out a bit to avoid sibilance/brightness. So far it feels like the speakers set off my tinnitus a bit even though I can not hear the higher frequencies. My LS50's did not do this.

Has anyone else experienced speakers activating tinnitus? I kind of feel it is attributable to Erin's measurements in the higher frequencies. No medical/scientific proof this is the case it's just what I feel would be the cause. I'm thinking of using DSP/treble control to turn down the higher frequencies a bit to see if this helps.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
I have tinnitus and high frequency hearing loss (basically deaf above 3k hz). I just bought Kef R3 as I really liked the LS50 but wanted more bass. The Erin's Audio Corner review suggests angling the speakers out a bit to avoid sibilance/brightness. So far it feels like the speakers set off my tinnitus a bit even though I can not hear the higher frequencies. My LS50's did not do this.

Has anyone else experienced speakers activating tinnitus? I kind of feel it is attributable to Erin's measurements in the higher frequencies. No medical/scientific proof this is the case it's just what I feel would be the cause. I'm thinking of using DSP/treble control to turn down the higher frequencies a bit to see if this helps.
Yes, I have the same experience in one ear. I've never isolated what causes the effect, I think it's certain frequencies at certain levels, but it's not frequencies in the tinnitus range, it's caused by frequencies I can hear!

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never noticed with speakers but headphones can get it going pretty bad. I do try to keep either one at a comfortable listening level certainly much lower than when I was younger.

OP
T

terfenol-D

I definitely listen at lower levels than when I was younger! Trying to protect what hearing I have left! Thanks for your responses to know I'm not alone in thinking speakers (maybe specific sounds/frequencies) can activate tinnitus. I will use DSP to turn down the higher frequencies and report back.

Top Bottom