• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Thread closures and controversy versus reality. Spoiler [Fact on the ropes]

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Not starting a discussion on Covid-19 but I thought this chart which I don't think has been posted earlier would be very informative to all. No politics or controversy. These probabilities are over the entire population. Odds would be different based on age, weight, pre-existing conditions, etc.

View attachment 85826

We need an informative/educative health science thread.
I'm willing to moderate it so that Amir and Thomas can concentrate on what they know and do best. We are all very concerned with this Fall second wave. I just talked to Mom yesterday, she's 86, and they just put a sign @ the entrance of her condo: Strictly Zero Visitor.

She lives in Quebec, near Montréal. I can tell in the tone of her voice and the few questions she asked me how insecure she feels.

Here's what I propose, if agreed: I'll start the thread, and we all know the score.
If someone post any political engagement (my call), I'll give a private warning, then ask the poster to delete ASAP.
If someone replies to the ditto post, the person will also get a warning.
If it goes out of borders, I'll simply delete the ditto posts myself quickly and efficiently.

This is only one thread regarding local and global science health.
Zero politics to do with it.

If not agreed, no sweat; I still love my Mom more than ever, and I still have the music in me. I'll listen to Opera, and Tango.

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Quote from David (OP) in his opening "grace" (first post) ...

"In the audio context, on some websites it is prohibited to even discuss blind tests, I have read.
I assume it's rationalised as "too controversial" and creates too much work for the moderator.
So it seems that it is possible to remove a subject from the domain of rational debate if opponents just make sufficient trouble.
This website is very proud of it's "Science" basis but looks not to be immune.
After the closure of the latest CoVid thread I waited a while, so as not to post too rashly.
But it continues to disturb me.
So this post is not to restart the Covid debate but rather to unpick the closure of discussion.
I understand Thomas's frustration with some of the rubbish in the thread but why not ban the culprits rather than close the thread?
There is some real expertise in this forum and I miss their contributions.
The Covid information is now of less immediate concern to me because Australia has almost stopped community transmission.
But it saddens me to see liars and deniers win, and a closed thread feels like a step in that direction.
Whether that's a DBT thread elsewhere or a Covid one here."

David

Neutron

Some crazy thread drift , I can't see anything good coming from this thread . Likely it will degenerate further and cause issues ..

It's staying open for now but the lack of focus will open the door to proxy arguments about covid19 politics and probably climate change lol

I'd encourage you to all move on unless you have something relevent to the OP .

Come on, OP asked "Where's my Jet Pack? Why doesn't my car fly?"

It is not really worth starting another thread about it.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Right now things are completely screwed up. Members need a refuge from our unhappy reality.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
It's up to us Ron to get on the right tracks. We can do it, we are doing it, I've seen it.
We can put aside all our biases and advance in science, in respect, in kindness, for the knowledge. ...A higher level of common understanding communication.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for playin the smart guy, but as the other thread is closed ...

@North_Sky
it's a hot matter right now, search for " +long covid "

I'd be happy if that thread opens again ...

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
in Texas?

We are better off than most here. However, drop your guard, you will probably get sick, and I don't rate a helicopter to take me to the hospital.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Quote from David (OP) in his opening "grace" (first post) ...

"In the audio context, on some websites it is prohibited to even discuss blind tests, I have read.
I assume it's rationalised as "too controversial" and creates too much work for the moderator.
So it seems that it is possible to remove a subject from the domain of rational debate if opponents just make sufficient trouble.
This website is very proud of it's "Science" basis but looks not to be immune.
After the closure of the latest CoVid thread I waited a while, so as not to post too rashly.
But it continues to disturb me.
So this post is not to restart the Covid debate but rather to unpick the closure of discussion.
I understand Thomas's frustration with some of the rubbish in the thread but why not ban the culprits rather than close the thread?
There is some real expertise in this forum and I miss their contributions.
The Covid information is now of less immediate concern to me because Australia has almost stopped community transmission.
But it saddens me to see liars and deniers win, and a closed thread feels like a step in that direction.
Whether that's a DBT thread elsewhere or a Covid one here."

David
Why on earth does a forum whose sole purpose is to explore and review music playback (and have fun) need any threads about covid, climate change, politics or anything else unrelated?

Its not a science forum, it's a science focused audio forum.

Is my 2 pence on it.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Why on earth does a forum whose sole purpose is to explore and review music playback (and have fun) need any threads about covid, climate change, politics or anything else unrelated?

Covid has shut down Popular Music Performances, Orchestral Concert Scheudules, Audio Shows, Theaters, has likely bankrupted Dealers, has infected listeners, reviewers and artists, and probably will be one of the "turning points" for greater society as to how it handles medical "scares" in the future.

If that doesn't rate a little discussion off to the side of the mainstream among people who might otherwise share certain activities among those adversely affected, I don't know what would.

Will we discuss the Zombie Apocalypse when it occurs?

I hope so.

At least until somebody thinks somebody gets butt hurt by some text on a screen and appeals to the Thought Police for adjudication.

---

If you don't like it, don't read it.

That's easy enough, huh?

---

"Do what you wanna
Do what you will
Just don't mess up
Your neighbor's thrill
'N when you pay the bill
Kindly leave a little tip
And help the next poor sucker
On his one way trip"

--- F.Z. "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing"

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Covid has shut down Popular Music Performances, Orchestral Concert Scheudules, Audio Shows, Theaters, has likely bankrupted Dealers, has infected listeners, reviewers and artists, and probably will be one of the "turning points" for greater society as to how it handles medical "scares" in the future.

If that doesn't rate a little discussion off to the side of the mainstream among people who might otherwise share certain activities among those adversely affected, I don't know what would.

I hope so.

At least until somebody thinks somebody gets butt hurt by some text on a screen and appeals to the Thought Police for adjudication.

---

That's easy enough, huh?

I don't. But it seems to cause our hosts some grief. I'm not sure how any third party moderating of off piste threads helps out with that. Anyway, back to all DACs sounding the same for me.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Some crazy thread drift , I can't see anything good coming from this thread . Likely it will degenerate further and cause issues ..

It's staying open for now but the lack of focus will open the door to proxy arguments about covid19 politics and probably climate change lol

I'd encourage you to all move on unless you have something relevent to the OP .
@Thomas savage , if you should require assistance from the Chicago Crusher just say the word
But be warned it could get messy. :)
blood.png

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert

Its not a science forum, it's a science focused audio forum.

Is my 2 pence on it.
++ on this. No thread on any of these topics in any audio forum has been devoid of politics, most importantly divisive politics.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Skipper's Smokehouse has shut down here in Tampa.

For 40 years it has been a bohemian place to get some fish and crabs and oysters and beer and such, with the "SkipperDome" outside out back, with some real nasty 20-foot long urinals ready for action on the busy nights.

1601926906831.png

1601927044527.png

1601927527716.png

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I hope so.

---

That's easy enough, huh?

---

"Do what you wanna
Do what you will
Just don't mess up
Your neighbor's thrill
'N when you pay the bill
Kindly leave a little tip
And help the next poor sucker
On his one way trip"

--- F.Z. "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing"

I could see that being a topic that fits the focus of ASR.

However, the COVID-19 threads I have been in have rarely discussed its impact on audio. The discussions have been general, like one might find on non-audio focused websites.

Vasr

Major Contributor
++ on this. No thread on any of these topics in any audio forum has been devoid of politics, most importantly divisive politics.

Problem isn't the divisiveness of any one topic but the inability of people to adhere to acceptable forms of discussion based on logic, science and intellectual honesty - can happen with covid-19 or audio. The only difference is that a forum for the latter collects a dominant echo chamber that keeps the discussions self-moderated or people not consistent with that dominant thought not participating.

Imagine if the people from ASR and SBAF were to start an audio discussion in a food forum. It will get shutdown as quickly. It is not the topic, it is the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom