• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The first (1959) synthetic drum machine: Wurlitzer Sideman

Multicore

Major Contributor
There are a number of way more annoying youtubes demoing the Wurlitzer Sideman than this one. What impresses me about this is the quality of the sound. It's really good. And the vintage electronic wiring inside is something to behold. Note the concentric speakers. Unfortunately the video emphasizes the mechanical noise of its machinery.

A few years ago I sold this early 1980s drum machine and, while a lot more compact, light weight, programmable and less expensive, isn't convincingly superior in all dimensions.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I used to have a busy nightlife, met lotsa musicians and some of them had the same questions like, "Can you make a distortion effects box<?>" Of course was the answer but there are tons of them I thought. This drum machine effects box is astounding for it's era and ability.

Top Bottom