• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

the abyss after all this long wait the colour is wrong

Andysu

Major Contributor
wrong colour , james must be colour blind or is taking the mickey , i refuse to see this digital mess at any uk odeon cinema , i keep with the laserdisc that isn't colour 100% perfect , ( i have to mute the sound ) sorry everyone but this is the incorrect theatrical colour to what i saw three times at odeon cinerama curve , bournemouth 1989 and saw tv broadcast once that had corrected colour i refuse and i'm boycotting the abyss , james cameron again you disappoint me as ex retired projectionist , get a proper guy that isn't colour blind also if it ain't theatrical version i certainly ain't gonna waste my time at any uk cinema , should have duel versions to show at cinemas plus i think a 35mm actual 1989 or 70mm six track Dolby Stereo A type some cinemas

and prints are still out there , that's where you'll get the theatrical flashback digital cinema is a con and scam

this abyss 4k colour gets the headless panther , i can't say i'm somewhat naturally disappointed

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
wrong colour , james must be colour blind or is taking the mickey , i refuse to see this digital mess at any uk odeon cinema , i keep with the laserdisc that isn't colour 100% perfect , ( i have to mute the sound ) sorry everyone but this is the incorrect theatrical colour to what i saw three times at odeon cinerama curve , bournemouth 1989 and saw tv broadcast once that had corrected colour i refuse and i'm boycotting the abyss , james cameron again you disappoint me as ex retired projectionist , get a proper guy that isn't colour blind also if it ain't theatrical version i certainly ain't gonna waste my time at any uk cinema , should have duel versions to show at cinemas plus i think a 35mm actual 1989 or 70mm six track Dolby Stereo A type some cinemas

and prints are still out there , that's where you'll get the theatrical flashback digital cinema is a con and scam

this abyss 4k colour gets the headless panther , i can't say i'm somewhat naturally disappointed

Can’t really say I remember the original color as I only saw this in an old tiny CRT TV. Assuming a bluray disc would be produced… maybe I’ll rewatch it.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Can’t really say I remember the original color as I only saw this in an old tiny CRT TV. Assuming a bluray disc would be produced… maybe I’ll rewatch it.
if anyone recorded on VHS off air , before 2000's most tv stations switched to digital hardly showed 35mm prints , they often ended up being same rubbish as the blu disc format , i kidd you not
anyway i ranted in the video , again can't say i'm so naturally disappointed in mr, cameron and his colour blind colourest that have done this on purpose

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, this isn’t very surprising… the original was just before they could do digital color grading. So the original looks very natural as opposed to the modern “cinematic” look.

I don’t know… by now your so used to it that any movie before that era just stands out as “old”. If you want to get people to see it again in the cinema you’ll need to keep up with current trends.

As for how it looks: one can debate out that. It surely doesn’t look dated, but I also don’t like over-the-top color grading, which it seems is the case in some of the trailer scenes. I may still go watch it though.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
i rather buy cat food than waste over 2 hrs at odeon bh2 watching botched colour and possibly near field mix
1272361_10152871059685149_3391949556382243273_o (1).jpg

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
i read this , " "The cut is mandatory because of UK animal cruelty law"
The UK version is preferable for me as I don't support (or enjoy) watching animals suffering for entertainment. "

^ i changed my mind , james cameron is mean cruel nasty ,
BOYCOTTNG his 4k disney releases the evil mickey mouse is nasty and i don't , therefore now do not support these rubbish 4k releases
#BOYCOTTTHEABYSS4katallukcinemasanimalcruelty

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
disney may trick those bluray 4k kiddies into buying 4k the abyss , but disney can't seduce me into buying its 4k garbage
i'll be staying here on night it opens dec 6th , i bed , BOYCOTTING it

GeorgeWalk

One of the artifacts of digital formats is that they have higher frame rates (usually 60 fps) vs. 24 fps for film. This tends to subtly shift colors and also give that "soap opera" effect. I don't like the "soap opera" effect and there are settings on you TV that can be used to minimize it.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
One of the artifacts of digital formats is that they have higher frame rates (usually 60 fps) vs. 24 fps for film. This tends to subtly shift colors and also give that "soap opera" effect. I don't like the "soap opera" effect and there are settings on you TV that can be used to minimize it.
i am very well aware of that and i have none of this rubbish frame rate , oh wait a moment i think i have one worst movie , " gemini man " will slapper , i think i will destroy that 4k disc in all new video , that's of course i already have , thanks for high frame rate reminder ,

GeorgeWalk

I would put "Ad Astra" up there as a really bad movie. Nonsense plot, things happen for no apparent or explained reason, unlikable characters. And boring. As boring as "Dangerous Liaisons"(I fell asleep in both of these movies). That is their only good quality - Ambien of movies.
iu

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
I would put "Ad Astra" up there as a really bad movie. Nonsense plot, things happen for no apparent or explained reason, unlikable characters. And boring. As boring as "Dangerous Liaisons"(I fell asleep in both of these movies). That is their only good quality - Ambien of movies.
iu
oh , absolutely agree

adcatlitter.jpg

Snoopy

Major Contributor
iu

Liked both movies

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The colour on the VHS and the DVD was always wrong to me too compared to what I saw in the cinema. Can't comare with LD as we didn't have Abyss on laser disc back in the day.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
Cameron also loves DNR, so we'll see how that plays out.
i won't be , i have better things now to do than waste £ on his 4k feasts , rather buy cat food instead

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
james cameron again you disappoint me as ex retired projectionist
The ex retired projectionist, are you talking about you or James cameron? If it is you, maybe this is where your anger comes from - with Digital Cinema, projectionists were simply not needed any more. I once met a retired one in Greece. Within one year he was out - and even had to install many digital projectors in the Thessaloniki area.
With Digital Cinema, you get a harddisk, copy the content (A DCP file) to the projectors's internal one, make a playlist for the evening, preset the loudness for each element
(Advertisments, trailers, main feature) push a button and walk away.
The staff selling the tickets does this now.
A friend of mine from the GDR lost his job after the fall of the Berlin Wall. A qualified projectionist in the eastern block was trained over three years for the skills to plan and build a cinema. Training was about optics as well as physics of sound. Of course, they repaired everything themselves. Skills that were not needed in the West.
The result:
When screening my own film in different cinemas, the sharpness had to be checked, sometimes the projectors were slightly off.
There was always problems with the sound. (Simple 5.1)
In one cinema, when peaks like drums were playing, they scattered all around the room and the projectionist was unable to find the error in his Dolby-Pro Logic setup.
In another cinema, the left channel was too low, in a large open air venue - that mixed down to mono because surround does not work well in large open spaces -
music and Sound-FX were muted about 6dB.
This would not have happened with trained projectionists.

But back to topic: Digital Cinema and the process of color timing has indisputable advantages over analog.
You can debate the source, camera negative or RAW-File. It is more a debate about aesthetics.
And of course safer long-time storage of film over digital.
But the latest generation of digital ARRI movie cameras has a latitude higher than slow film stocks.

In analog times, what we got to see on the screen was about the 8th to 9th dub-generation of the camera negative.
With Color-Timing it alone took 5 generations from the negative to the master for mass copying. And of course this master was dubbed
for sub masters to make the final cinema print. And each print, errors do not pile up evenly, like hiss on a tape.
Batches of film stock are slightly uneven because the chemistry changes during production. And the master wears during copying.
Then projection: When I went to a cinema to watch a film, I tried to watch it in the first days because the copy quickly wears.

But with digital, you scan the negative and keep its latitude, very fine grain and sharpness - no loss at all way up to the master for the DCPs.
DCP is the JPEG2000 based codec for cinematic projection.
Sound btw. is uncompressed, discrete channels, i.e. 24bits/48KHz/6 mono audio files for 5.1 surround sound

With digital, you can color correct even parts of the image using masks, something that was not possible in analog times using color wheels.
Here is a nice writeup:

Last but not least, your whole statement is wrong: The trailer you present as "wrong colour" is different from the DCP projected in the cinema - gamma is different, LUTs are different and of course the trailer is mastered to pop in bright environments, on youtube, on portable devices. The DCP is a diffent breed, allowing subtleties in a dark environment.

OP
Andysu

Andysu

Major Contributor
iu
it was like apocalypse now in space , has to go on a mission

Top Bottom