• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sun Audio Purified 4

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was contacted by the manufacturer and he gave me the spinorama for this speaker: Purified 4. "The measurements are performed by IFAA in Germany within the following semi-anechoic class-1 chamber: https://ifaa-akustik.de/en/the-institute/technical-facilities/".

As the name implies that's a 4 inch (from Purify) with a tweeter. You can choose various tweeters and tweak the DSP to your liking.
Cost is not insignificant at 2800 for a pair. I didn't listen to it and only have the data but that looks very clean and well executed.
Score is 6.2 out of the box and climb to 7 with an EQ. I do not expect high output but the Purify woofer is great.

SunAudioPurified4activeloudspeakerBloodwoodAluminiumT34Bangledsideviewleft.png
CEA2034.jpg

Early%20Reflections.jpg
Estimated%20In-Room%20Response.jpg

SPL%20Horizontal%20Contour%20Normalized.jpg
SPL%20Vertical%20Contour%20Normalized.jpg

Penelinfi

With "a tweeter". You can choose from multiple Bliesma domes. I'm guessing the one shown is 25mm or 34mm beryllium.
The cost goes up for wood and beryllium , naturally

DanielT

Major Contributor
It was cool but I wonder about one thing. You say:
"You can choose various tweeters and tweak the DSP to your liking"

And the price was, as you mentioned, "not insignificant..."

So why not just as well buy some Ikea Blanda Matt bamboo salad bowls and smash them together with some drivers yourself? I mean, if you're still going to tinker with DSP settings, crossover settings and EQ, I suspect, you might as well go all the way out and fix everything yourself for a cost that will definitely be lower than 2800 (Euro?)

Here are some examples with broadband drivers:
IMG_6179.jpg

highender

It was cool but I wonder about one thing. You say:
"You can choose various tweeters and tweak the DSP to your liking"

And the price was, as you mentioned, "not insignificant..."

So why not just as well buy some Ikea Blanda Matt bamboo salad bowls and smash them together with some drivers yourself? I mean, if you're still going to tinker with DSP settings, crossover settings and EQ, I suspect, you might as well go all the way out and fix everything yourself for a cost that will definitely be lower than 2800 (Euro?)

Here are some examples with broadband drivers:
View attachment 350460

Do you think you can achieve the same level of performance with that approach? Tonality seems to compare with the best. I mean those drivers alone are very good, you don't put those in a salad bowl, at least, I won't.

Putter

Forum Donor
The response curve looks smoothed to me , which while not necessarily it would be nice to know what degree of smoothing was used.

Penelinfi

There are individual measurements for each driver choice on the website. You can then simulate whatever you desire

DanielT

Major Contributor
Do you think you can achieve the same level of performance with that approach? Tonality seems to compare with the best. I mean those drivers alone are very good, you don't put those in a salad bowl, at least, I won't.
The bamboo bowls used in the DIY threads referred to in #2 will certainly go a long way, ,see attached pictures of what ppataki filled his bowls with. Looks good.

Note I think the Sun Audio Purified 4 seems to be a really good speaker and I misunderstood this with changing the tweeters in the Purified 4. Or rather now I know more after reading what the manufacturer says. Interesting I must say:

The Purified 4 is a crossoverless modular loudspeaker system designed to be driven active with your own crossover and amplifiers..

Available with a selection of four Purifi 4-inch drivers and five BlieSMa 25 or 34 mm tweeters, thus twenty variants. For each variant a measurement data set and reference crossover design (DSP parameters) are included in the delivery.

Why not. May attract potential buyers to be able to select between different drivers...twenty variants..There are therefore twenty produced crossovers. A lot of work must have gone into creating them.

Attachments

• 20240208_215931.jpg
    20240208_215931.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 20240210_163522.jpg
    20240210_163522.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20240210_171507.jpg
    20240210_171507.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Penelinfi

The sun enclosure is apparently a cylinder of aluminium with corkrubber, then the spherical shell as decor/baffle extension. Probably easier to construct.

DoctorRobert

I really like the looks of this speaker but I am not so sure about the concept. You are basically supposed to implement the crossover filtering yourself. Personally, I think that a speaker manufacturer should supply an anechoic well-measuring speaker. I can then correct for the room, if I feel like it. This seems to add unnecessary tinkering, that could have been fixed in the design. But maybe there are people who like to experiment. But then again, it is a nice looking speaker for use in a living room; not a place where you want to have a lab setup. Any thoughts?

highender

I really like the looks of this speaker but I am not so sure about the concept. You are basically supposed to implement the crossover filtering yourself. Personally, I think that a speaker manufacturer should supply an anechoic well-measuring speaker. I can then correct for the room, if I feel like it. This seems to add unnecessary tinkering, that could have been fixed in the design. But maybe there are people who like to experiment. But then again, it is a nice looking speaker for use in a living room; not a place where you want to have a lab setup. Any thoughts?
It is quite easy to implement a crossover and equalizing profile into a miniDSP. I think the following system would be a neat solution:
PC with Dirac Live Bass Control -> miniDSP Flex HT/HTx -> 4 channel NCore power amplifier (Boxem?) -> Purified 4 + active subwoofer

Box count is still limited this way.

Penelinfi

""
Each variant will be delivered with an optimized reference crossover design made by Peter Larsen from Loudsoft based on measurements performed in a class 1 semi-anechoic chamber from IFAA .

You can transfer the crossover parameters, like slope, gain, delay and so on, to your DSP for a quick start. And together with the measurement data set you are able simulate (with for example VituixCAD) and customize the crossover to your specific goals.""

Top Bottom