• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Subwoofer Isolation

Will2campb

Does subwoofer isolation from a hardwood floor with something other than stock rubber feet improve sound quality or frequency response?

Zek

Major Contributor
You can try with spikes ...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Spikes act like sound post inside the strings

try soft rubber or eva foam pads, makes sure they do distort under weight so they could dissipate energy, otherwise they’re too hard and will couple with the floor

Mesh

Isn't this largely a matter that depends on how the floor is constructed in the first place, i.e. what is below the hardwood floor? Some possible underfloor heating, no air gaps, and then a concrete foundation directly on the ground (well, with isolation underneath that and so on) is hardly likely to actually pick up any resonance is it? At least none of my blind tests have revealed any results on such floors, but I am no authority on possible effects on other floor constructions and possible resonance. I can speculate, but that's not why we come here ;)

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Basically no. Spikes or Sorbothane were all the back full color page rage, but not convinced they do anything but transfer money. I guess is your floor was uneven and one foot was just off it, it might rock. FWIW, my sub is sitting on stick-on felt tabs so it does not scratch my hardwood floor.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
What problem are you trying to solve exactly?

Changing the feet is unlikely to alter the frequency response of the sub in any meaningful way. Stock rubber feet are probably fine. Unless it's an extremely cheap subwoofer, it's reasonable to assume that the manufacturer included feet that works well. If you have a very flexible floor (for instance a 2nd story wood floor in a house) and you are experiencing audible vibration from other objects in the room, changing to very soft feet (soft rubber compound of some kind) may reduce the issue.

Top Bottom