• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Studio monitor selection

osmio

Good morning, first let me introduce myself, I'm Javi from Spain, I'm writing to see if you can advise me on the purchase of two studio monitors. I'm torn between the Adam T5V and the JBL MKII. The type of music I listen to is Americana, bluegrass, and folk, as well as 60s power pop. I'm mainly interested in hearing the guitars very clearly and the production and arrangement details. I'm not very interested in the bass.

Tanks.

SpeakerSeeker

Hi Javi, welcome to the forum. I've owned both the Adam Audio T5V and JBL MkII 305p. I greatly preferred the Adam Audio for a few reasons:

1) there is significantly less "hiss" from the T5V, which is helpful when it's playing at low volumes or is switched on but not playing music;
2) the T5V sounds (to me) significantly more tight and refined across all frequencies, but especially in the bass;
3) the T5V provides a slightly more engaging soundstage such that instrument separation and placement was more obvious; and
4) if I recall correctly, the T5V speakers also have a better warranty (five years).

Even though I paid significantly less for the JBLs, once I got the T5Vs dialed in (i.e. aiming slightly outside of my ears), I returned the JBLs with absolutely no regrets. The T5Vs are an extraordinary value while the JBLs are a good value, in my opinion.

Cheers, and happy listening.

Top Bottom