• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamers that support FIR? (without PC in the chain)

BillG

Major Contributor
Hello all … I love my WiiM Pro, but the lack of support for FIR is annoying. Yes, I know there is a 4 band PEQ, but not sufficient.

If one can't perform the DSP device-side, then a server application will be needed to do the processing and then stream the results to the network player.

Others have mention Roon as a server application capable of doing this, but there's also Logitech Media Server with the SqueezeDSP plug-in. I use the latter with a variety of dumb endpoints and it works well.

With the RPi plus MoOde solution, one is essentially building another computer, albeit a very small one, and using it was either a player or server, or in combination as a network player with onboard DSP and file access capabilities.

Regardless of which solution you choose, a computer is going to be involved in the chain, even if it's a barely noticeable one like the RPi.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I guess it depends what you mean by 'PC' too - if someone gave you a sealed box running Volumio you probably wouldn't be able to tell whether it had a PC motherboard or a Pi inside it. I'd suggest daphile on an old laptop or thin client - it turns it into an appliance functionally similar to dedicated hifi units like the Innuos ones (also a PC in disguise...) You interact with it using the web browser (Safari on iOS) or using an app like iPeng. I think daphile still uses BruteFIR for its convolution, and you upload the wav file via the browser.

Reactions: MKR
OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Thanks again all for your great feedback. As I already have the WiiM, no need for RPi (I finally understand they both serve same purpose as an end point). And I also finally understand to make Roon work you need a core and endpoint, and the core must have sufficient processing power to handle both the Roon SW and the DSP.

Even though I have the MacBook, I would like to remove a “stand alone” PC from the chain, and be able to use REW generated EQ file. In this case, it would seem my best option would in fact be RPi + CamillaDSP + Moode. Do I have that correct?

Nothing against Roon, but the extra HW requirement of the core is problematic for me. Does RPi really have sufficient processing power to handle the DSP? And is a Pi 4 sufficient, or I need a Pi 5 (which is backordered until March by the way)

Also, can you use Qobuz with Moode?

Last edited:

changer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You can use Qobuz with piCorePlayer, which is another option for the Pi based streamers. For pCP there is a script to install CamillaDSP, which very simple and straight forward:

OP
M

MKR

Major Contributor
Thanks for all of the great advice. For now I pushed the easy button and setup Roon. Using my MacBook as the core, WiiM as endpoint. First time using Roon and I must say I really like this SW, I can understand why it is so popular. Big fan of the WiiM, but Qobuz integration with their app is not the greatest. Roon with Qobuz is a much better experience. The monthly due for Roon a bit steep, but I just cancelled Apple Music as a trade off ;) (which I never use any longer anyway)

Additionally, the Roon integration with convolution filters (REW in my case) is flawless, good stuff.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Roon is good imho, best playback software I have tried. Audiovarna, JRiver, JPlay, Amarra,what else have I tried.
Keith

Reactions: MKR
Top Bottom