• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Streamer question

foodchain

Guys, thanks so much for the no-bs advice I have gotten in the first two weeks of being a member. My system sounds a million times better than it used to, thanks to your coaching as to how to connect what to what. No comparison. And exactly zero background hum now.

Question: I would like to try messing around with Tidal or some sort of really hi-fi content. I'm currently streaming Apple Music through a 3rd-gen Apple TV device. It works fine but I guess is only 44/16. The DAC ingests that through a Toslink connection and all is well. But what physical gadget is needed to stream from Tidal? (It's not really convenient to use a laptop, just given where the stereo is located. I'm guessing there must be something out there kind of like the little Apple TV box, no?)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys, thanks so much for the no-bs advice I have gotten in the first two weeks of being a member. My system sounds a million times better than it used to, thanks to your coaching as to how to connect what to what. No comparison. And exactly zero background hum now.

Question: I would like to try messing around with Tidal or some sort of really hi-fi content. I'm currently streaming Apple Music through a 3rd-gen Apple TV device. It works fine but I guess is only 44/16. The DAC ingests that through a Toslink connection and all is well. But what physical gadget is needed to stream from Tidal? (It's not really convenient to use a laptop, just given where the stereo is located. I'm guessing there must be something out there kind of like the little Apple TV box, no?)
You can stream from the tidal app to your apple tv. OR there may even by an apple TV focused Tidal app. Assume you have an iphone/ipad? If you have android, not sure that can stream to apple from the tidal app, but 3rd party apps like Bubbleupnp are low cost and can definitely do that. Be warned, virtually no boxes/ apps/ devices will allow you to stream MQA encoded Tidal masters apart from the tidal app on your pc out to your DAC (and then only via USB) but if you have the Tidal Hifi subscription, will default to 44.1/16 FLAC for the vast majority (ie CD quality) .

In short, youre good to go! (or nearly)

Top Bottom