• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spyware In Cars - It's Worse Than You Think

MRC01

Major Contributor
If those dang dongles prevent one from honing their threshold braking skills that will result in a reduction in quality of road racing events...
I wonder about people who participate in SCCA events. Their data stream shows hard acceleration, braking, cornering. If the insurance company gets that data they'll think they are dangerous drivers. While in fact, they are better, safer drivers on the street because they get that out of their system safely & legally on the course, and have learned superior car handling skills.

DesertRatt

Years ago---using the family car (1963 MGB)--I used to do weekend rallying and slalom racing. What a lot of fun that was! I think they are going to kill-off all such fun in driving with computer controlled spyware enabled cars.

Ultimately, if they have it their way, we will all have little box cars with no steering wheel or pedals. "Take me to the Home Depot" will be the extent of our driving involvement.

MRC01

Major Contributor
.. Ultimately, if they have it their way, we will all have little box cars with no steering wheel or pedals. "Take me to the Home Depot" will be the extent of our driving involvement.
And one day a software glitch puts your car on the wrong list, and the car disables itself or drives you to the nearest police station. Or worse, kills you by slamming you into an oncoming car or a ditch. The reasons nobody should trust these systems are two-sided: both Murphy and Machiavelli. They are ripe for both failure and abuse.

wunderkind

Such large data in combination of IoT would be tough to digest in the past. But with AI, all these are quite readily and easily aggregated for the common analyst. It is already too late for those who are upset over this as soon as you signed up for a smartphone.
Just strap on and enjoy the ride. There's nothing you can do unless you want to be a hermit living in the jungles off Papua New Guinea.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Don't worry, when they finally get self driving to be markedly safer than human driving, they won't allow you to drive anyway.

But, the autonomous pod that you get into will know exactly who you are and where you're going.

I'll see you out there on your untracked, human controlled, and possibly, powered, bicycles. :)

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't worry, when they finally get self driving to be markedly safer than human driving, they won't allow you to drive anyway.
That only works if everyone has self driving. I bet you have never been to Hong Kong. ;)

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Recording your voice phone discussions afterwards with swearing combine with braking excelerating etc would be far more mentally revealing. Next day you are fired. :facepalm:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
And one day a software glitch puts your car on the wrong list, and the car disables itself or drives you to the nearest police station. Or worse, kills you by slamming you into an oncoming car or a ditch. The reasons nobody should trust these systems are two-sided: both Murphy and Machiavelli. They are ripe for both failure and abuse.
Current equivalents:
* Someone clones your numberplate. Guess who gets the fines, points on license etc. If you're lucky they didn't bother matching the model and colour when picking the plate.
* Mechanical or electrical failure, other drivers. Or vulnerabilities like we've known about since 2010

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Once again my birthplace gets some great worldwide press for progressiveness. This is very big tourist attraction with many having sex in the cars. :facepalm:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, I see the utility in driver analytics but I certainly expect to be given the chance to opt in. I guess when I buy a new car (someday) I'll be looking for the cellular antenna and removing it just to be sure...

Top Bottom