• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spotify and Qobuz difference

bevok

So i hooked up my laptop to my dac via usb and ran the tests. Turns out I can't tell the difference either!

So my perception of the difference between Spotify and Amazon must have been a volume/loudness thing.

Makes me wonder about the whole business of shopping for audio products. How could I ever accurately AB an amp or pair of speakers in a shop with all these variables. Guess I'll just stick to buying based on measurements from this fine website
It was doing abx tests in Foobar of mp3s and Flac files that made me a lot more cautious about differences in sound, and also very cynical about things like headphone reviewers talking about 'technicalities' etc. One of the easiest ways to test the limits of perception.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Today you can sit and produce a track and upload it to Spotify and if it's good and gets discovered you get paid without further effort. -Easy!

Technically, you can't upload a track to Spotify now. You have to go through a service like TuneCore or a couple of others.

Brian Hall

Forum Donor
I did some more comparing tonight between Qobuz, Spotify and Amazon HD playing two songs by Rush, Tom Sawyer and YYZ. Both of those have a lot going on and seemed likely to have the best chance of showing any obvious audible difference between the services.

For Tom Sawyer and YYZ, Qobuz showed 192khz, Spotify showed 44.1khz, Amazon HD showed 96khz. These were streamed with my Wiim Pro Plus with coax out to an Eversolo Dac Z8. I listened with Sennheiser HD650 headphones using the Z8 as a headphone amp (which it does great).

Not anywhere close to a blind test. I knew which one was playing at all times. The only noticeable difference to me was that Qobuz played both songs a little louder than Spotify and Amazon. I didn't hear any detail or "musicality" on Qobuz that was missing or degraded on Spotify or Amazon. I expected this so maybe my brain filtered out the supposed awesomeness from the "Hi-Res" versions.

I'm sticking with my decision to cancel Qobuz and keep Spotify and Amazon HD. I don't believe there is any advantage to the "Hi-Res" streaming option from any service if Spotify can sound just as good at 320kbps ogg vorbis.

I'm keeping Amazon HD because it is cheap and is starting to have a lot of Atmos stuff which I can play on my main system using a Fire TV cube.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I did some more comparing tonight between Qobuz, Spotify and Amazon HD playing two songs by Rush, Tom Sawyer and YYZ. Both of those have a lot going on and seemed likely to have the best chance of showing any obvious audible difference between the services.

For Tom Sawyer and YYZ, Qobuz showed 192khz, Spotify showed 44.1khz, Amazon HD showed 96khz. These were streamed with my Wiim Pro Plus with coax out to an Eversolo Dac Z8. I listened with Sennheiser HD650 headphones using the Z8 as a headphone amp (which it does great).

Not anywhere close to a blind test. I knew which one was playing at all times. The only noticeable difference to me was that Qobuz played both songs a little louder than Spotify and Amazon. I didn't hear any detail or "musicality" on Qobuz that was missing or degraded on Spotify or Amazon. I expected this so maybe my brain filtered out the supposed awesomeness from the "Hi-Res" versions.

I'm sticking with my decision to cancel Qobuz and keep Spotify and Amazon HD. I don't believe there is any advantage to the "Hi-Res" streaming option from any service if Spotify can sound just as good at 320kbps ogg vorbis.

I'm keeping Amazon HD because it is cheap and is starting to have a lot of Atmos stuff which I can play on my main system using a Fire TV cube.
Yup. Any differences in actual "quality' solely based on file types are dwarfed by (if there is any, most streaming services carry the same versions) differences in Master /version on the source and and the user experience on the other end. Qobuz sadly just doesn't have the features I need so I go with a mixture of tidal for mobile, Spotify as family are on it and share playlists etc and also Amazon as it has full library shuffle.

harleydave

Try to pass these tests. I didn't.

Reddit Apple_Tidal_Qubus_Spotify

I got 3 out of 6 correct. The wrong 3 I picked 320kps.

stoo23

Personally, I use Qobuz and have found them to be very helpful and have a Catalogue that More than covers my needs and musical tastes, in fact, it was whilst searching for a crazy album from way back called "Copy Copy" by Gruppo Sportivo that I found Qobuz, as they were the ONLY people I could find that had it, (which I promptly purchased and downloaded) they also had All their other albums :)
I occasionally Stream albums from artists I haven't heard and often let it continue to Play 'selections', which has caused me to purchase a few albums by artists I had never heard previously but I also purchase Albums from the site and like the HiDef options, plus there are a few artists that Aren't on Spotify, I believe like Joni Mitchell who IS on Qobuz :) thankfully.
I find the service and quality to be excellent.

An interesting detail from one of the articles in my previous post:
Rival music streamer Qobuz is both a music streaming platform and an online music store. Subscribers can stream in Hi-Res Audio and buy album downloads in studio quality. It also employs expert teams to curate playlists. Qobuz wears its music fandom on its sleeve.

During the first lockdown, Qobuz stood behind artists, donating 100% of all new first month subscriber revenues to rights holders.

Georges Fornay, CEO Deputy of Qobuz, told us: “We believe in respecting the artists’ work by ensuring the quality we provide is as true to the original as possible. This is why we promote studio-quality music. We believe talented artists should get a fair chance for their music to be discovered with music curation and fair compensation.”

A compelling alternative to Spotify? We think so.
Also, as can be read in that same article, Tidal also have a truly Excellent Artist payment methodology, that should be applauded !!!

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Also, as can be read in that same article, Tidal also have a truly Excellent Artist payment methodology, that should be applauded !!!
Out of curiosity, we don't care if Apple pays their staff well, or whether deliveroo or Uber compensate their drivers fairly, we don't worry too much if musicians, dancers, other staff who were part of the show were paid fairly when we go to a concert - we trust free market economy will take care of that. But we worry whether streaming services compensate artists fairly. Why is that?

stoo23

we don't worry too much if musicians, dancers, other staff who were part of the show were paid fairly when we go to a concert
Hmmm really?,...perhaps You don't but having spent 30 to 40 years working in the Music and entertainment industry in Live and Studio work, I Sure do !! ;):)

we trust free market economy will take care of that
Well, as we have become Painfully aware, That DOESN'T work !! LOL

Even when going to see friends bands, if they were selling CD's / Merch, I would Buy a copy, pay to get into the Gig etc, expected No 'Freebies',.... Freebies don't put Gas in the Car or Food on the table !!
:)
I do have concerns about a bunch of Filthy Rich faceless Execs getting even richer from music they had nothing to do with !! As Should We All !!!

benanders

I do have concerns about a bunch of Filthy Rich faceless Execs getting even richer from music they had nothing to do with !! As Should We All !!!

…and perhaps doing so without even bothering to inform customers which master of a song/album is being provided, as already mentioned in the very first reply to this thread, by @staticV3 . Why I subscribe to no streaming service. Would be a seemingly easy fix, too. It must already be “in the files” for reasons of licensure.

stoo23

:) I actually Still buy CD's !! and Whole Albums from Qobuz,. not Just odd tracks and as mentioned the 'streaming' I do is Only on my PC either Auditioning some new music for later purchase or listening to New unknown unheard artists. I have found Qobuz often have both the Original CD, plus Re-Mastered versions available as well as HiDef versions of a lot of albums. :)

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
I subscribe to Qobuz, but wouldn't dream of purchasing music, additionally from them.
Is the point of purchase extra artist support? Or perhaps, one day I will look for some oft played album, and find it no longer there?

stoo23

Well I guess yes :) but I have purchased some real bargains and purchased stuff that is to all intents and purposes Unobtainium or Ridiculously priced as a CD on eBay etc and then the artist doesn't get the extra funds paid to someone ebay, wheras via Qobuz, they will :)

Like with the Gruppo Sportivo album, it was only ever released as an LP way back in 1980 !!
Bought a great Early 'Modern Jazz Quartet' album "Pyramid", from 1960 that is not available Anywhere !!!

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Can't see Pyramid on Qobuz just now. A 1952 release Modern Jazz Quartet. Seems to be the oldest available recording

Top Bottom