• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker recommendations to pair with a Bluesound Powernode N330?

My living room is 15x15 (if you add in the open kitchen its about 15 x25) with 10' ceilings. I purchased the powernode as it ticks a lot of boxes for me and bought an SVS PB1000 Sub (great price on black Friday).

I am debating as to what speaker to use this this. The more reviews I read on YouTube, the more I realize that there's a lot of BS (Jay, Andrew, Danny although I still like Darko). I am trying the the Polk R200. Based on Amir's reviews I am thinking Elac dbr62. Both of these have a sensitivity around 86db and I am concerned about the powernode being able to drive them properly. Do I need something like the Heco Aurora 300's with 90db? I know everything is made in China and that nobody makes their own drivers and that Danny is going to say that all the factory supplied crossovers contain crappy components!

Thoughts and suggestions?

Just for fun I created this https://m.3dscannerapp.com/m?id=nLjM9h6 (pardon the mess)

Last edited:

NoGoodPoints

My living room is 15x15 (if you add in the open kitchen its about 15 x25) with 10' ceilings. I purchased the powernode as it ticks a lot of boxes for me and bought an SVS PB1000 Sub (great price on black Friday).

I am debating as to what speaker to use this this. The more reviews I read on YouTube, the more I realize that there's a lot of BS (Jay, Andrew, Danny although I still like Darko). I am trying the the Polk R200. Based on Amir's reviews I am thinking Elac dbr62. Both of these have a sensitivity around 86db and I am concerned about the powernode being able to drive them properly. Do I need something like the Heco Aurora 300's with 90db? I know everything is made in China and that nobody makes their own drivers and that Danny is going to say that all the factory supplied crossovers contain crappy components!

Thoughts and suggestions?

Just for fun I created this https://m.3dscannerapp.com/m?id=nLjM9h6 (pardon the mess)
Some nice speaker choices. As a fellow owner of the PowerNode, I would recommend getting a sub or 2 :) and there will be no worries about the PowerNode's ability to drive any of the speakers you referenced as options (assuming you need to crank it from time to time).

OP
I know (almost) nothing
Some nice speaker choices. As a fellow owner of the PowerNode, I would recommend getting a sub or 2 :) and there will be no worries about the PowerNode's ability to drive any of the speakers you referenced as options (assuming you need to crank it from time to time).
I picked up an SVS PB1000 (non-pro) for about $400. For my place, I'm only doing a single sub as that sucker is big enough in my LR! Also, I run an AirBnB downstairs and can only crank it when there are no guests! After going deep (way deep) into some of the threads with both the R200 and DBR-62, I'm looking forward to doing the compare, but I'm guessing that they will be similar with the Elac's being warmer.

I'm learning a lot about placement (specifically toe in/out) and how much that effects the sound. Right now, I have the Polks square to the room. Pointing at me, they seemed a bit too bright.
WIN_20230102_18_25_36_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The SVS Prime is a good speaker rarely mentioned:

45-day home trial with free shipping and return. Should be a good match for your sub.

Another interesting speaker is the HSU CCB-8:

A friend has a pair and he's very happy with them.

OP
I know (almost) nothing
I got the Elac's today and I realize how difficult it is do a subjective comparison (hence the focus on measurements within these forums). It's probably impossible without matching speaker stands and an AB switch. Overall, both speakers sound great (to me) and require about the same power to drive to the same volume level.

My initial concern with the Polk was that on certain tracks the treble was too bright (almost shrill). While the Elac is still very bright, I think it might be better balanced. I think the front port on the Elac is better for my positioning, since I am less than a foot from the rear wall.

From a looks perspective: Overall the Polk are better looking and have nicer grills. The Polk have much nicer (and wider) binding post area. I don't really like the look of the turbine cone, as I think it looks gimmicky. The Elacs are attractive as well, just less so than the Polk.

I wonder if it's going to come down to the difference in tweeters: Ring Radiator vs Soft-dome in a guide?

Edit: The Polks were $749. Elacs $699 and came with the LS20 stands ($349) for free.

Edit2: I set my Powernode to mono output and put one speaker on each channel. This was very useful to hear the differences in real time. The Elac is definitely more balanced. Polk have a stronger treble output.

Last edited:

Seany

Hopefully your still checking this thread. I also have the same Elac's with the free stands but the stands are 22" which is like are you kidding me. It should have been at least 26". I tried them for a while and their too short. There not even close to being the right height. I ordered some 28" ones from Monoprice should be here soon. I was a little surprised you said the R200's are too bright. They are my short list of speakers I'd like to try as so these others, have you looked at any of these on my list ? Do you still have the DBR62 as your mains ?

Polk Audio Reserve R200
ELAC Uni-Fi Reference UBR62
Wharfedale Diamond 12.2
Wharfedale EVO4.1

These speakers I've actually tested myself in the last couple of months, trying to see if they would be better then the Elac's. I'm new to this hobby and wanted to expose myself to diff sounding speakers and compare.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf (I had high hopes for this speaker, but hey were too forward and too bright and harsh. They were great for that first hour or so but I got a headache after a few hours and had to go for a walk and then I laid down for while also took some Tylenol LOL)

Monitor Audio Bronze 100 (too thin and cool, not enough body to the music and didn't seem balanced)

Airmotiv B1+ These were not bad at all for a budget speaker.

OP
I know (almost) nothing
Hey @Seany

Yes, sticking with the Elac's and playing around with positioning, which has had a major impact on sound than comparing those two speakers. Also playing with Sub crossover, position and level. I'm happy (for now?).

I started off with the R200's based on the reviews here. I can't say why they came off so bright but to me they were. Maybe my house, or my ears (65yrs old and Tinnitus). I even think the Elac's can be bright, which seem to go against what other say. I went with the Elac based on Amir's (and others) review. I think both of these speakers could benefit from a beefier amp than the Powernode. I don't listen to music as background, so I play it on the louder side.

I considered so many speakers and so many subjective reviews give praise to everything: Klipsch 600m II (hate the copper color), SVS Prime Bookshelf (kinda ugly), Heco Aurora 300 (recommended by Audio Advice). I found ASR and here I am.

Regarding the stands, I was using 18" before, so these are better, plus I listen slouched on the couch. I don't see anybody paying $349 for them, so probably that's why they are free!

speakers.jpg

Good luck and let me know what you finalize on (if you do!). BTW, I got the remote and it's so much better than using the phone app, except it gets lost between the cushions).

Charlie...

Last edited:

Seany

When I turn on my TV my receiver automatically turns on. I have the receiver hooked up through the HDMI arc and the TV remote also controls volume which is very convenient. Does your power node do the same thing for you too ? I came pretty close of buying the Power Node too not long ago but decided to get a receiver after all. Your right about the stands though who would buy those for $350 that's a crazy. I'll probably sell mine on ebay after if I decide to keep the speakers which I probably will.

OP
I know (almost) nothing
When I turn on my TV my receiver automatically turns on. I have the receiver hooked up through the HDMI arc and the TV remote also controls volume which is very convenient. Does your power node do the same thing for you too ?
Yes, but it doesn’t always switch automatically especially if the TVs been on while I’m playing Spotify, if I go back to the TV. I like the 10 preset buttons on the remote. Plus, I like not having to open my phone to mute, change volume or skip forward!

Last edited:

Seany

As long as your sound turns on when you first turn on your TV, I would think that would be the most important.

You know I'm new to this hobby and I've always had a sound bar before so I didn't really pay attention to any of that two channel audio stuff. I really like my setup now one thing I kind of surprised me is how sensitive I am to bright speakers. I always thought I was gonna be that type of person that likes that Klipsch sound with a forward bright presentation. I'm 48 years old now so maybe that plays part of it.

Seany

Hey by the way, what did you set your crossover at with your DBR62's when using a sub ? Are still using sub, I don't see it in your picture anymore.

OP
I know (almost) nothing
Hey by the way, what did you set your crossover at with your DBR62's when using a sub ? Are still using sub, I don't see it in your picture anymore.
I moved the sub off to the side (next to my chair). I was using 60hz but just had it reset all the audio settings and it put it at the default of 80. I like it and may keep it there. I believe by offloading more of the bass, you free up power to drive the speaker at the remaining levels (not sure if I am saying this right).

Seany

I moved the sub off to the side (next to my chair). I was using 60hz but just had it reset all the audio settings and it put it at the default of 80. I like it and may keep it there. I believe by offloading more of the bass, you free up power to drive the speaker at the remaining levels (not sure if I am saying this right).
Yes you are, I've often heard that it opens up the speaker more. But I wouldn't expect it to be night and day though.

alinaqvi

I'm a bit late to the chat but I've had a Powernode for about nine months now and have them hooked up to a pair of Q Acoustic 3050i floorstanders and they sound fantastic https://www.qacoustics.co.uk/q3000i-range-q3050i-floorstanding-speaker.html . As these speakers are quite bass heavy, you really don't need a sub for my sized room which is similar to yours. I also like them playing loud and have had no problems running them from the Bluesound.

Incidentally, at low volumes I set the bass at +4 and treble at +2 on the BluOs app to get a deeper sound. At high volumes you get a much better overall and crisper sound by reverting to the default tone settings. Plus you can go louder too! It really comes alive at high volumes.

RichardDLO

I just purchased the Powernode and The Elac Debut Reference. Not received yet but disappointed to hear that you think the powernode does no have the grunt required to power speakers. I bought speakers for current sale and it frustrating that a 489.00 speaker needs a 1000.00 amp to shine. I was on the path to buy a Purifi ET400 based amp and use the preamp version of the Bluesound, think it's just called Node. I'm guessing you have turned on the sub circuit which turns on high pass filter? Where does your powernode / elac combo lack?

Last edited:
Top Bottom