• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some questions about headphone preamp THD+N vs Power Chart

Richarrd

1.JPG
DUT sheet shows this data.
and here is my steps of measuring.
1. I use cosmos Loadboard E1DA-Accessory-Load-Board-For-Cosmos-AssfDC.jpg,switch to unbalanced and 32ohm,plugin to headphone output, and use multimeter to read the Vrms and calibrate REW generator to the actual reading.
2.I plug XLR out from loadboard to cosmos ADC input, and calibrate with this Vrms to my REW RTA too.
3.I started stepped sine on RTA and get these charts.

32ohms high gain(mW)
E2X2 32ohm high gain.jpg

32ohms high gain(V)
E2X2 32ohm high gain V.jpg

300ohms high gain(mW)
E2X2 300ohm high gain.jpg

300ohms high gain(V)
E2X2 300ohm high gain V.jpg

I'm not very familiar with the calculation method for the actual Watts generated under a certain impedance with V, (I'm sorry, I'm really a beginner), so it seems like there might be some missing calculations here? The actual mW conversion I obtained from REW doesn't match the official parameters, and I don't know why.

Attachments

• E1DA-Accessory-Load-Board-For-Cosmos-ADC.jpg
    E1DA-Accessory-Load-Board-For-Cosmos-ADC.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 38
  • E2X2 32ohm high gain V.jpg
    E2X2 32ohm high gain V.jpg
    339.4 KB · Views: 34

staticV3

Master Contributor
Did you make sure to enter the load impedance value into REW as well? Otherwise, the mW numbers will be false.

OP
R

Richarrd

Did you make sure to enter the load impedance value into REW as well? Otherwise, the mW numbers will be false.
oh I think that's the reason! no I never enter that and I even don't know where to enter it…

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'm not very familiar with the calculation method for the actual Watts generated under a certain impedance with V,
Power (Wattage) = Voltage squared / Resistance.

i.e. With constant voltage, power is inversely proportional to resistance (or impedance). When you cut the impedance in half, power doubles.

The "basic" power formula is Power = Voltage x Current.

Another variation is Power = Current squared x Resistance.

The relationship between voltage, resistance, and current is defined by Ohm's Law (Current = Voltage / Resistance).

The 3 power formulas are derived using simultaneous equations.

Resistance (and impedance) is "The resistance to current flow".

staticV3

Master Contributor
oh I think that's the reason! no I never enter that and I even don't know where to enter it…
On REW's latest early access build, you enter the load impedance in the RTA window under Settings->Appearance:
Screenshot 2023-09-10 at 18.13.32.png

OP
R

Richarrd

Power (Wattage) = Voltage squared / Resistance.

i.e. With constant voltage, power is inversely proportional to resistance (or impedance). When you cut the impedance in half, power doubles.

The "basic" power formula is Power = Voltage x Current.

Another variation is Power = Current squared x Resistance.

The relationship between voltage, resistance, and current is defined by Ohm's Law (Current = Voltage / Resistance).

The 3 power formulas are derived using simultaneous equations.

Resistance (and impedance) is "The resistance to current flow".
thank you! that's very detailed!

OP
R

Richarrd

On REW's latest early access build, you enter the load impedance in the RTA window under Settings->Appearance:
View attachment 311093
OK that's what i missed! so if i connect to loadboard with 300ohms I simply enter 300,and 32ohms enter 32,is that right? cause I see it's for dBW and worrying about making another mistake:p

Top Bottom