• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be fun if Amirm reviewed any of the cable riser products, e.g.:

Audioquest Fog Lifters:

The very name of the tweak tells you what to hear!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be fun if Amirm reviewed any of the cable riser products, e.g.:

Audioquest Fog Lifters:

The very name of the tweak tells you what to hear!
I squinted when I read that first time...lol... Fog Lifters do exist.
0061ff4b2678109060926d2e25343070.jpg

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you consider the online purchase of such USB cables?
202204_SnakeRiverAudioUSB.jpg

How about after you realize the name of the website?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I squinted when I read that first time...lol... Fog Lifters do exist.

I saw them at our local car parts warehouse. They weren’t advertised as audio accessories, though.

AlephAlpha001

The problem with potatoes is, they need to be fermented and distilled first. But once done they can very much affect the listening experience.
I did a blind test, it came back negative. I guess I’m not blind…
Obviously you're distilling like a dogmatic chart-reading ASR reader and not the True Audiophile Way or you would be blind by now and have acquired enhanced auditory awareness into the bargain.

Freddy

I read the review so you didnt have to suffer.

Aside from all the usual hyperbole was this gem:

Wynn told me the differences I would hear wouldn't be immediate, so I started playing The Sundays "Blind" [DGCD-24479] and went to the kitchen to start working on dinner. About 20 minutes later, I noticed that the music suddenly got appreciably louder.

Holy crap... not only blacker blacks and veils lifted but a box of dirt suddenly makes the music louder.

I am still shaking my head at that an hour or two after reading it.

Who is stupid enough to believe something like that.

Peter
Paul Schumann is a respected reviewer. You are not. Hence I would much rather accept Schumann's comments than yours, especially as I suspect you never even heard the device in question.

DonR

Major Contributor
Paul Schumann is a respected reviewer. You are not. Hence I would much rather accept Schumann's comments than yours, especially as I suspect you never even heard the device in question.
"respected reviewer" especially amongst the firms that he peddles the snake oil for.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Wynn told me the differences I would hear wouldn't be immediate, so I started playing The Sundays "Blind" [DGCD-24479] and went to the kitchen to start working on dinner. About 20 minutes later, I noticed that the music suddenly got appreciably louder.

I wonder what happened after 20 minutes, did the pine seeds start to sprout?

In any case, I reckon this is good value for something you can hear all the way over in the kitchen:
Olympus Infinity T Ground Box: $4900
Eartha Infinity Olympus Ground Cables: $1950 each

I’d say, spend a few dollars on top of that and get the full Eartha kit (Santa Baby and all)…

paddycrow

Forum Donor
I wonder what happened after 20 minutes, did the pine seeds start to sprout?

In any case, I reckon this is good value for something you can hear all the way over in the kitchen:
Olympus Infinity T Ground Box: $4900
Eartha Infinity Olympus Ground Cables: $1950 each

I’d say, spend a few dollars on top of that and get the full Eartha kit (Santa Baby and all)…
Cat Woman!

DonR

Major Contributor
This comment is libelous. What are your qualifications in determining the value of hi fi equipment?
I hold a master's degree in electrical engineering and 30 years of experience in circuit design and embedded systems design. I KNOW snake oil when I see it and "reviewers" are part of the problem.

I looked up Mr Schumann's bio and I believe I am far more qualified than he is to speak on any matter of electronics. He is a geologist by training (how ironic!) and currently teaches high school chemistry. He really should know better than to promote products that have no basis in science. The magazine he writes for "enjoythemusic" is just dripping with ludicrous content but plenty of ad copy... hmmmm.

Last edited:

AlephAlpha001

There will always be Neigh-sayers, but really there’s a nothing quite so satisfying as flogging a dead horse. Whilst listening critically to the transients.

Freddy

There will always be Neigh-sayers, but really there’s a nothing quite so satisfying as flogging a dead horse. Whilst listening critically to the transients.
It happens to be "Nay sayers". If you are going to comment at least get your English correct.

Freddy

I hold a master's degree in electrical engineering and 30 years of experience in circuit design and embedded systems design. I KNOW snake oil when I see it and "reviewers" are part of the problem.

I looked up Mr Schumann's bio and I believe I am far more qualified than he is to speak on any matter of electronics. He is a geologist by training (how ironic!) and currently teaches high school chemistry. He really should know better than to promote products that have no basis in science. The magazine he writes for "enjoythemusic" is just dripping with ludicrous content but plenty of ad copy... hmmmm.
So you hold no qualifications in audio engineering and sound production? OK.

Top Bottom