• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

CinDyment

May I ask how old you are? I am interested as you have an interesting view of history. I can't discuss any of it here as nothing political or even remotely political is allowed and I am obeying the rules. I don't' need your exact age just a round about figure. Thanks!

It is not an "interesting" view of history, it is one that is discussed within business / manufacturing and research around cultural impacts on these items. What I wrote is obviously "high level" and not the only causes of the outcomes, but it speaks to the cultural impacts on how products end up designed and manufactured. It took a long time for American business to accept they were not as good as they thought, longer to accept it was not the guy on the lines fault. In Germany, you had an even more defined class-structure that produced a greater barrier to the necessary changes for quality on the production line (and holding suppliers to account). Japanese companies recognized the importance of making "workers" part of the process early. In China, you have the lingering impacts of communism w.r.t. reduced sense of personal responsibility (stems from lack of personal control), and generally a smaller contextual view of where you fit in resulting in fewer "big picture" people w.r.t. engineering. Staff competitiveness, social worth tied to title, and pay structures often to not reward team work or mentoring. Suppliers relationships are heavily relationship based making quality decisions "difficult" at times. It will not always be like this, but it speaks to why things are the way they are.

My age has no outcome on any of this of course.

CinDyment

SNAKE OIL: Virtually anything that comes out of Galen Gareis mouth. I also blame Amir for making me aware of him, by making me aware of PS audio forums, and Galen seems to populate the snake oil, I mean cable forums. Watching him either lie through his teeth or obfuscate to defend someone bringing up good points. Of course, the PS wankers lap it all up.

CinDyment

Audio Reviewer ... nuff said (sorry Amir)

1648164256145.png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll just throw this against the wall and see if it sticks!
You could decide whether it is snake-oil or heaven-sent item you did not know you'd want.
202203_xDuooBurninTool.jpg

Function: Connect to headphone out of your headphone amplifier or player, then burn-in it

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Function: Connect to headphone out of your headphone amplifier or player, then burn-in it
Burn it in, or burn it out. :eek: LOL

fatoldgit

hmmm...

So a device that makes (as far as I can tell) all the solidstate devices (i.e. capacitors, resistors, transistors) in a specific piece of gear vibrate at the same frequency cause thats whats really holding back your system.

I have no issue with over engineered components that therefore have a high price (like the taiko extreme server) cause at least they perform a valid function and if you want to spend lots of money for a pretty looking device to astound your friends and family thats ok but stuff like the above that has no sound engineering behind it... thats fraud.

Peter

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
hmmm...

So a device that makes (as far as I can tell) all the solidstate devices (i.e. capacitors, resistors, transistors) in a specific piece of gear vibrate at the same frequency cause thats whats really holding back your system.

I have no issue with over engineered components that therefore have a high price (like the taiko extreme server) cause at least they perform a valid function and if you want to spend lots of money for a pretty looking device to astound your friends and family thats ok but stuff like the above that has no sound engineering behind it... thats fraud.

Peter

Bonkers. Had no idea Nordost made other products than snake-oil by the meter.

The whole QRT lineup is just textbook coocoo: https://www.nordost.com/qrt-audio-enhancers.php

Of course you'll only enter audio nirvana if you collect a complete set of these gizmos :p

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
hmmm...

Peter

Positive Feedback never met a tweak they didn't love.

fatoldgit

Capacitors/resistors/inductors are considered 'passive' device.
Now what where you saying?;)

Not sure if I should be "defending" myself but as per the "review" they say "When electricity passes through a solid-state device—like a capacitor, resistor, transistor, etc.—it causes micro vibrations, or resonances."... and I just summarized that.

I had to look it up (software is my bag, not hardware) and you are correct that the definition of a solid-state device is an electronic device in which electricity flows through solid semiconductor crystals (silicon, gallium arsenide, germanium).

I checked the Nordost website and that dont lump Capacitors/resistors/inductors in with transistors so that minor error is with the highly experienced and knowledgeable Positive Feedback reviewer.

Now the interesting anomaly (maybe?) for me is they state it can work with digital devices but if this device "manipulates all electromechanical resonances within its immediate proximity so that they resonate in unison with each other." surely that would bugger up any device with a timing oscillator?

Peter

fatoldgit

Of course you'll only enter audio nirvana if you collect a complete set of these gizmos :p

My view is you dont want to lift too many veils by running multiples of these tweaks in case you get to see the bride sans any veils... better to leave a little bit of mystery in play just in case.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My view is you dont want to lift too many veils by running multiples of these tweaks in case you get to see the bride sans any veils...
Yep, you might learn that the bride is over 90 and is lacking any upgrade surgery. :eek:

Victor Martell

Bonkers. Had no idea Nordost made other products than snake-oil by the meter.

The whole QRT lineup is just textbook coocoo: https://www.nordost.com/qrt-audio-enhancers.php

Ha- the review of the Nordost CRT was posted on 4/1 ! :D I left a comment a long the lines of " WHAT A GREAT APRIL FOOLS JOKE! - FOR A MINUTE I THOUGHT THAT THING WAS REAL - HAHAHAHA! :D "

Well, it was removed likes seconds after posting! :D

hehehe

v

Top Bottom