• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
They've been doing this for about 30 years.

One useless product after another. Woo on a truly impressive scale.
Companies that provide standard tweaks at modest prices are excellent in comparison.

I will have to survive without their $1K+ isolation products (feet).

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I offer mine in 3003, 6061 and 7075. How about you?
I see. I'm going to have to buy your silence. You will get stock options too. You can sure tell the businessmen around here! The company is going to be run on the Soviet model. Only two types made and one color. Plus we can call them "Freedom" hats. Oh, and there are no returns ever for any reason. Putin is already on the board, I signed him yesterday as he has billions available to get us off the ground and into operation. I can smell the money already!

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

sutro-tower-through-the-fog.jpg

San Francisco's Sutro Tower in Fog

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
OK, how much RF noise of any type comes from carpet, stone or wood? They are making a claim that these materials have a nasty effect as they enhance RF signals in the wood, stone or carpet. Our engineer experts here need to explain this to me. Where does the RF come from that the wood, stone and carpet is enhancing in strength? How does the enhancement happen? How is the fishing line stand off canceling this RF out? Or, even diminishing the RF signal strength? I was not aware of the fact that wood, carpet and stone transmitted and/or created RF signals?

So, as anyone can see I'm lost. I need serious engineering help here. I will never walk the lumber aisle of Home Depot again as my body can't take that much concentrated RF energy. Probably carcinogenic!

Last edited:

TrevC

No you can't, they're illegal!

I've given up on several forums that promote that sort of crap.

The latest was Wigwam that allowed the promotion of a (digital) cable covered in ferrite beads without one adverse comment, and the promotion of a digital filter costing £3000 again without adverse comment.

It seems to me that anything goes with manufacturers claiming anything without any need of any sort of objective proof.

In some cases, manufacturers don't even have to publish specifications, just have a forum extolling their virtues from their followers without any sort of corroboration.

I'm reminded of Tommy, or The Life of Brian as comparable with what's happening with HiFi.

S.
Sadly Wigwam is controlled and largely moderated by blinkered subjectivists, and anyone posting a contrary opinion about their silly impossible magic wire nonsense is howled down and called a troll.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I encourage everyone to visit the above highly informative site.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic.

radix

Major Contributor
Hey, I'm putting in a shameless plug for my own product. I am making custom made aluminum foil hats in either regular or heavy duty foil. All I need is your head measurements and $100 per hat. Shipping is extra but since foil hats are very light it is not much at all. For a list of all of the nice features and protections these custom hats give you, please talk to Moderator Adam. I have announced him as my new International Distributor. I know he will be surprised. But, I'm sure this will be a mega money making product! I might even cut Amir in with stock options. I smell money in these threads!

You need more marketing classes. $100 is too cheap to make people think it works. Check out these $251 "RF 4G 5G blocking" hats.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09M6V55J3/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ZPTWP21VDM83R3BJF3YD

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
You need more marketing classes. $100 is too cheap to make people think it works. Check out these $251 "RF 4G 5G blocking" hats.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09M6V55J3/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ZPTWP21VDM83R3BJF3YD
I don't even want to know why you found that cap. You can get anything on Amazon now. Putin saw that amazon ad and withdrew his support for my new company. So, I am closing it down. Sorry to Adam, Amir and any other people that were promised money from that scam, ah, I mean project!

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Shouldn't those RF-blocking hats also include built-in ear-muffs?
Last time I saw someone using a smartphone, I had noticed that they hold these devices against their ear >> NOT on top of their heads...
So, I am closing it down.
Noooooooooooo! Don't do that!
Pitch the 'ear-muff' upgrade to your buddy Putin; a project like this should not ever be given up on.

Mojo Warrior

McIntosh Announces Two Amplifier Stands​

McIntosh Announces Two Amplifier Stands

The following is a press release issued by McIntosh.
Binghamton, NY | January 19, 2022 – McIntosh, the global leader in prestigious home entertainment and ultimate-quality audio for over 70 years, is proud to unveil its new AS125 and AS901 Amplifier Stands.
The AS125 is ideally suited to be used with a variety of McIntosh monoblock amplifiers, including the brand’s current offerings, but can also be used with any previous models. A single AS125 can also be used with a McIntosh stereo or integrated amplifier, along with other home stereo system components. The AS125 is 17.813″ (45.2cm) wide x 4.051″ (10.3cm) tall x 18.013″ (45.7cm) deep.
The AS901 is specifically designed to be used for the McIntosh MC901 Dual Mono Amplifier, a groundbreaking product with unique characteristics in terms of weight and dimension. The AS901 is the same width and height as the AS125 but is 11.8″ (30cm) longer, measuring in at 29.813″ (75.7cm) deep. This is the same length as the MC901, allowing the AS901 to perfectly complement the MC901 and display it proudly on an appropriately sized amplifier stand.
Shared Features of the AS125 and AS901
  • Made from sustainably sourced solid white ash, an incredibly strong and durable wood, and resistant to scratches and dents.
  • Constructed using a face-glued technique with edge grain top, which provides extreme strength, durability, and stability.
  • Finished with multiple coats of jet-black stain, with a catalyzed lacquer topcoat to provide added vibrancy and depth to the finish.
  • Each have a 3″ (7.62cm) thick wood slab to firmly hold the gear.
  • The feet have a protective pad on the bottom to protect floors and minimize vibrations.
  • Each includes a faceplate with the McIntosh logo that can be illuminated green via the Power Control ports.
  • The wood slab is made by Symbol Audio, who have received Silver Exemplary status from the Sustainable Furnishings Council. Final assembly, packing, and shipping is done at the McIntosh factory in Binghamton, NY.
Pricing and Availability
Orders for the AS125 and AS901 can now be placed with Authorized McIntosh dealers. Shipping of both stands is expected to begin in January 2022 to the United States and Canada, and to the rest of the world shortly thereafter. Suggested retail price (VAT, shipping and any customs duties related to current standards of individual countries are excluded):
AS125: $3,000 USD
AS901: $3,500 USD

I really do not want to give either of these grifters any attention but it is hard to resist. Grab your credit card and order a few dozen before it is too late. [sarcasm]

audio2design

Major Contributor
Mcintosh Meeting: Some of our customers are really stupid, but have disposable income. How can we take advantage of that?

Mojo Warrior

The way the game is played is they will send samples to cooperative reviewers who will heap subjective superlatives about the perceived sonic improvements without any supporting evidence. The sales department will take it from there.

To me it implies a design flaw in the over-priced amplifiers it is designed to support. Not cool from a design aspect. Essentially one is purchasing another McIntosh logo to glow in the dark for $3000 USD.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I have to agree with killingbeans. In the ad/description they clearly state that it is a stand with a green light logo. Of course it is a high quality stand, but that is all they are representing. Now, we know certain un-named reviewers will tell us how the RF is shielded from coming up through the wood flooring and the 3 inch thick platform should resist RF interference. But for McIntosh, they make no sonic claims at all. It is just honest product sales. Like selling the Rolls Royce of stands. Nothing wrong with that.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gordon Gow must rolling over in his grave, not to mention how Frank McIntosh might be reacting.

Gow understood that high-end can be about the ownership experience as much as being about objective performance (not that McIntosh of old ever skimped on the latter). But he was resolutely against snake oil and vacuous products. For example, Gow directed the creation of a speaker-wire comparison apparatus to counter the snake-oil version promoted at the time by Monster. It provided a blind test between properly sized zip cord and Monster Cable. He gave up--his customers were so resolutely persuaded of the importance of cable, that he realized he was pushing customers away. He finally was forced to conclude that McIntosh was not in the cable business, and subsequently instructed customers to consult with their dealer on the topic. That was 40 years ago.

Rick "ruined market self-destructing" Denney

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Gordon Gow must rolling over in his grave, not to mention how Frank McIntosh might be reacting.

Gow understood that high-end can be about the ownership experience as much as being about objective performance (not that McIntosh of old ever skimped on the latter). But he was resolutely against snake oil and vacuous products. For example, Gow directed the creation of a speaker-wire comparison apparatus to counter the snake-oil version promoted at the time by Monster. It provided a blind test between properly sized zip cord and Monster Cable. He gave up--his customers were so resolutely persuaded of the importance of cable, that he realized he was pushing customers away. He finally was forced to conclude that McIntosh was not in the cable business, and subsequently instructed customers to consult with their dealer on the topic. That was 40 years ago.

Rick "ruined market self-destructing" Denney
There you go. The myths of audio are so pervasive and so accepted as fact that you can't bring up any argument to the contrary regardless of the data you have. Many if not almost all of our audio companies gave up the fight about 40 years ago. It is so much easier and you sell so much more product to just go along with the audio myths (usually snake oil theories), that every company does it now. You have to make a product that the consumer will buy. You can have the best product and proof that it is the best product but if the consumer doesn't like it, your bankrupt. So, we will forever wallow in snake oil and crackpot electrical theories.
Although the one area that the manufacturers are embracing is the auto room correction systems. This is the best thing since the CD. After another decade of improvements the auto correction systems will be very good compared to today. It has taken listening a giant step forward. Combine that with surround music and you have next gen Star Trek sound. Two Channel will eventually die out, but it will take a long time due to LOTS of audio myths. But, it will eventually die a well deserved death.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So what we have is a $3500 flat surface that must sit on top of another flat surface that we already have, so we can put an amp on it that needs a flat surface to sit on.

I'll grant that it is a very pretty flat surface.

Have I got that about right?

Top Bottom