• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Valhalla

I think I'm in a language barrier here. Can anyone native English speaker take a glance at this article and tell me if I'm getting it right and the author is mocking the 7n high purity snake oil with a sense of humor, or he is actually admiring the BS?

radix

Major Contributor
I think I'm in a language barrier here. Can anyone native English speaker take a glance at this article and tell me if I'm getting it right and the author is mocking the 7n high purity snake oil with a sense of humor, or he is actually admiring the BS?

I cannot say it reeked of sarcasm. To me, really, it sounded like AI generated text, just throwing out all the stupid audiophile terms it could. It did not seem mocking to me. But I cannot say I wasted enough time to read it all thoroughly.

gfinlays

No, he is actually admiring the BS.

fffffgggg54

I have to know which genius thought up this bizarre contraption: https://www.thecableco.com/df-ss-dark-field-suspension-system-set-of-3.html
1640337433100.png

Propheticus

That's an expensive solution for being able to vacuum under your speaker cables.

You really have little faith in the quality of your -probably insanely expensive if you're in the market for this- cable's outer sleeve insulation when you think you need to elevate them to prevent leakage to/from the ground. How much 'energy field' (whatever that is) does my wooden floor emit anyway?
The idea that isolating (physical) vibrations from the cable improves its electrical properties "a dramatic reduction in perceived noise and time smear" shows how little people that buy these understand of physics. Vibrations can influence a turntable since it's a physical medium. Resonances/coupling can influence a speaker. But the cables.... Perhaps the (old / turntable era?) clientele applies the same vibrations=bad logic to any other element in the chain?

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, he is actually admiring the BS.

The problem is I actually followed the link in my regular web browser, so now I’m gonna see ads the $12,000 rebottlings of DeOxit forever.

Rick “who knows better” Denney

egellings

Major Contributor
I have a product called DeoxIT and it smells just like Cramolin, an earlier similar product. Oleic acid is what I think it is, because I use that for flux in leaded glass work, and it smell the same as Cramolin and deoxIT. All are oily liquids.

qec

I normally respond to this silliness but a couple of years ago I worked with a person who is EE and works for a high tech company that helps others build all of the chips that end up in audio systems and nearly everything else. He also was the first person I've met who was "into" audio. He completely supported all of this crap. I had a long conversation with him one day and was shocked at what he was convinced of. Apparently he also writes for audio magazines too. It's one thing to just love a hobby without the technical underpinnings but when someone who is trained to understand the differences still spews this crap is makes me thinks that science is never going to win

ZööZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Blondlot claimed that wood specifically did not emit N-rays.
just jumped to the newest comment because didn't have the energy to wade through all the new posts since I viewed this thread, so I'll just ask to clarify, no one is seriously talking about N-rays being a real thing are they?

mansr

Major Contributor
just jumped to the newest comment because didn't have the energy to wade through all the new posts since I viewed this thread, so I'll just ask to clarify, no one is seriously talking about N-rays being a real thing are they?
X-rays are real, so surely all the A through W rays must also be real. What will they do if more rays are discovered after Z?

Propheticus

Blondlot claimed that wood specifically did not emit N-rays.
Had to look that one up. My floor is not made of green (freshly cut) wood... Oh noes, I might have a problem only throwing a large sum of money at can solve! /s
No, but some cable riser manufacturer is claiming floors emit an energy field that your cable needs protecting from... which is just as imaginary as N-rays.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I have a product called DeoxIT and it smells just like Cramolin, an earlier similar product. Oleic acid is what I think it is, because I use that for flux in leaded glass work, and it smell the same as Cramolin and deoxIT. All are oily liquids.
there is history and/or intrigue there ;)

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Had to look that one up. My floor is not made of green (freshly cut) wood... Oh noes, I might have a problem only throwing a large sum of money at can solve! /s

No, but some cable riser manufacturer is claiming floors emit an energy field that your cable needs protecting from... which is just as imaginary as N-rays.
Quarks and neutrons are jumping all over around and IN your speaker wires. How do they sneak in your house and assault your speaker wires? Through the floor! It can't be explained just how sneaky these guys are. They bully the electrons all the time. Buy the risers and stop the bullying. Electrons are people too! Oh, and I might mention the higher the price of the risers the better they perform. Buy risers that really make you sweat because you are so in debt. Your wires will thank you.

Top Bottom