• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Department, Top This

Robin L

Master Contributor
I’ve got it!!!,

The Synergistic Opus Super Audio Device, or sosad for short.

Im gonna sell millions........
So/Sad

pointed-ears-nude-or-green-45.jpg

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Colour is a bit off but I like your thinking, genetic modification and grow your own So-Sad ears for true audio capture, perhaps we could sell a tier of products starting with a basic model of modification for the plebes, a mid range model of modification with customisable colours to signify to other plebes that you have achieved a greater level of So-Sad and finally the top tier, A limited to 1000 n+1 product run with Unobtanium Reference Moulded Acoustic Dampening.

A So-Sad Ur-Mad ., I think it’ll catch on, we just have to crowd fund on Kickstarter and with amir’s backing we’ve got the ability to science the xxxx out of this thing.

egellings

Major Contributor
I recall seeing 'ear extenders' called Easy Listeners a long time ago. These were two large forward facing scoops that hovered over each ear, mounted on a headband. They might have been advertised in one of Edward T. Dell's publications aimed at the home audio equipment constructor.

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On Amazon: Dixie Cups Headband!!

Orrible reviews. It seems this version is just a cup cut in half and a piece of cord that is supposed to hold them against your head. I am sure Somafunk's version will be better thought out as most of the negative reviews say they fall off, not that they do not work.

Perhaps a version made from a disposable face mask would hold on better.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember a product called "Tweek" that came in a little syringe, and it was supposed to wreak magic on any connection fortunate enough to receive an application. It was not as ludicrously priced as NPS 1260 is, though.
I don't think the product we bought way back in the early 80's was called Tweak but it was a similar product one brushed on interconnects much like painting one's fingernails. Made my mediocre electronics sound--mediocre.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The guy is full of $#!+. Saying that 95% of the sound is gone from mp3s shows he doesn’t even know the basics of what he’s talking about. He needs to send his speakers to Amir.

Martin

What fascinated me most about the article was the website it was on. CBS News.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’ve often thought about designing a headband with a sorta cupped hand shape design as I caught a mate at his studio cupping his hands behind his ears as he zoned in on his highs during a mix, it really works, try it on percussive sections of music and you’ll be surprised at how effective it is (or perhaps not).

The synergistic super audio aid device, or Ssaad for short............i may have to work on the name a bit more.

s-l400-2.jpg

For $12, this could be you!

s-l500.jpg

BlackH20

Forum Donor
https://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/shunyata-research-sigma-nr-v2-power-cord

A $3500 power cord.
"This power cord brings an accuracy of timbre and harmony, musical veracity, that I’ve simply not experienced before. Yes, it’s got all the audiophile virtues I’ve described in my previous experiences with Shunyata power cables. But those attributes really don’t speak to what the Sigma NR v2 is about. "

What drugs was he on? Can I have some?
No degree past high school, yet this CEO/President gives you the feeling our government let him in "special projects" that he is now sharing with the audio consumer. Ya pal, when I did Afganistan we wanted to make sure the fidelity of AC/DC for 48 hours straight had a 6 foot special power cord, for the extra soundstage. GI JOE! Then grab the religious name for the company and deface them for the sake of snake oil money. This company is one of the worse. What a crock; you could think the USA could have one testing agency that could weed these guys in their seersucker suits and magic potions, wires, and cables into the dark age. Gordon Gow and Roger Russel tried in the eighties, but the snake-oil spending was too high and clouded their message. At least ASR is up and running, not that any science has changed, but consumers can see what crap is out there for 20 times the price and does not equal something at one-fourth the cost. I love the reviews of AudioQuest's $2K cables and plugs and PS Labs junk (distortion factory) pieces made like crap with a CEO who doesn't have a degree in anything. ASR is the audio GOD of the new century!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When vdH extended his scam from wire to quack medical devices, in my mind he went from run-of-the-mill audio scammer to true evil.

Weird guy he started off with quite valid tip shapes for phono cartridges . But he probably needed to expand business when digital came around .

You can still get the Ortofon OM40 with a VDH stylus

egellings

Major Contributor
I recall a similar product many years ago called "Easy Listeners", in which two sound-catching ear cups were mounted on a headband.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It will work better with a $3500 Shunyata power cable.

Well lets see i have 5 active speakers and a subwoofer +processor+ DVDA player + speakerlink box + RasPi streamer + power strip with detachable power cord I'l take 11 of those :) if buy 10 do I get the 11 one for free ?

Top Bottom