• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Snake Oil Confession

Cool Runnings

On a whim, I just bought this BRZHifi Linear Power Supply. USD60 including shipping from Taobao supplier. I have seen enough YT vids about how LPS could improve SQ that I thought a USD60 gamble had little downsides.

I have been A/Bing it on 2 systems. I think it makes a difference. Or maybe/probably it's just my mind/heart playing tricks on me as I expect many audio measurement absolutists here would say.

I think in all honesty it's probably because I had fun with the effort of doing a bit of research, anticipating it's arrival, setting it up and so I paid extra attention whenever I had the LPS plugged in and convinced myself that I could hear more details, better soundstaging, better vocals blah blah.

Doesn't seem like a bad bargain for USD60 even if the product, from a measurement POV, doesn't actually make a difference.

On a side note, if @amirm is up to it, I am happy to send a unit over to you for testing.

Attachments

• IMG_8545.jpg
    IMG_8545.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 157

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think in all honesty it's probably because I had fun with the effort of doing a bit of research, anticipating it's arrival, setting it up and so I paid extra attention
I think that's the situation, too.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If it is indeed a power supply designed and built with care and quality, even if it doesn't make an audible difference, it certainly isn't a waste of money.
A good power supply is always better than a mediocre or poor one, even if you don't hear any difference in sound quality

OP
Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

If it is indeed a power supply designed and built with care and quality, even if it doesn't make an audible difference, it certainly isn't a waste of money.
A good power supply is always better than a mediocre or poor one, even if you don't hear any difference in sound quality
This unit feels and looks very well made. Solid well put together steel chassis, quite heavy, decent packaging + cables and dual outputs. If nothing else just the materials and finish are worth the 60 bucks

OP
Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

As others and yourself have alluded to it's not snake-oil if you determine that it's beneficial in more ways than theoretically supplying a better SQ.
I think there are many audio hobbyists like me. It’s a total experience. We like the journey of research and trial and error, we like the hardware as much as the music. Once I put together say a $2k system I’ll get the itch immediately to tweak or upgrade something. So even the journey of researching for weeks on a $100 cable, ordering it and setting it up scratches that itch and makes me more attentive to the music and how my system sounds. And that’ll satisfy me for at least a few weeks or even months until the itch comes again. The real or perceived improvement of sound is just the icing on the cake to people like me who don’t even have bronze ears.

I guess as long as we don’t go to extremes and buy $2k cables for $2k systems then it’s all part of the fun and more of us having fun will only help broaden the community and industry. Brands and consumers will all benefit from that.

This forum plays a critical balancing role for the objectivist side. I’m such a big supporter of what ASR stands for. At the same time I also enjoy watching YT reviews of how a $10k power conditioner somehow makes someone’s million dollar system miraculously come alive.

We simply take that with a big pinch of salt and just enjoy the entertainment and possibilities if we become billionaires one day and get to have our own million dollar music systems.

ChrisCables

Audio Company
....and just enjoy the entertainment and possibilities if we become billionaires one day and get to have our own million dollar music systems.
I actually think that's a contradiction to you own rationale.
Even if you become a billionaire or millionaire it's absolutely not necessary to buy a million-dollar system! SQ should take the absolute highest priority over everything else no matter what it costs.
More expensive definitely and unequivocably does not mean better and the law of diminishing returns has an absolute, justified application, especially to cables!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More expensive definitely and unequivocably does not mean better and the law of diminishing returns has an absolute, justified application, especially to cables!
My problem with actual expensive snake oil is you're funding a fraudulent enterprise. I'm talking silly interconnects, power cables etc.

ChrisCables

Audio Company
My problem with actual expensive snake oil is you're funding a fraudulent enterprise. I'm talking silly interconnects, power cables etc.
I'm totally with you on that.
I've made it my personal mission to become a market-disruptor in that respect.
I can't give examples as it would be considered as advertising, but there is NO need to spend 1000's of anything on cables!

D

Deleted member 21219

I think there are many audio hobbyists like me. It’s a total experience. We like the journey of research and trial and error, we like the hardware as much as more than the music.
Once I put together say a $2k system I’ll get the itch immediately to tweak or upgrade something.
enjoy the entertainment and possibilities if we become billionaires one day and get to have our own million dollar music systems.

Some people are the same way with fishing equipment. They have enough rods, reels and lures to open up their own shop. When something that's "new" or "better" comes on the market, they have to have it.

Compulsion is a strange companion.

Jim

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A LPS and even a power conditioner is only snake oil if you somehow believe it will improve/alter the audible sound of your system.

I have an isolation transformer power conditioner for my system. No, I do not believe it will make any difference to the sound of my system, but the isolation transformer that I have does three things, it has a surge protection (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know you can buy a Honeywell or Siemen whole house surge suppressor for less than $150), it also blocks DC offset and it does block a certain extend of high frequency noise. DC offset can make the transformer of your equipment physically hum/buzz, potentially shortening the life of your equipment on top of that annoying ambient hum/buzz, high frequency noise can (although very unlikely) cause damages to sensitive electronics (usually very sensitive medical devices).

Could I have been perfectly fine without this isolation transformer? Of course. Do I encourage anyone to buy one? No.

But I'm fortunately enough to have gotten it at a steep discount and which makes the resale proposition worth it should it comes down to it. And most importantly, I know what to expect and what I will be getting ahead of time and so I am happy with my decision and purchase.

Oh and having another silver 430mm equipment in the AV shelf just makes looking at my system that much visually better looking.

OP
Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

I actually think that's a contradiction to you own rationale.
Even if you become a billionaire or millionaire it's absolutely not necessary to buy a million-dollar system! SQ should take the absolute highest priority over everything else no matter what it costs.
Agreed.

OP
Cool Runnings

Cool Runnings

A LPS and even a power conditioner is only snake oil if you somehow believe it will improve/alter the audible sound of your system.

I have an isolation transformer power conditioner for my system. No, I do not believe it will make any difference to the sound of my system, but the isolation transformer that I have does three things, it has a surge protection (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know you can buy a Honeywell or Siemen whole house surge suppressor for less than $150), it also blocks DC offset and it does block a certain extend of high frequency noise. DC offset can make the transformer of your equipment physically hum/buzz, potentially shortening the life of your equipment on top of that annoying ambient hum/buzz, high frequency noise can (although very unlikely) cause damages to sensitive electronics (usually very sensitive medical devices).

Could I have been perfectly fine without this isolation transformer? Of course. Do I encourage anyone to buy one? No.

But I'm fortunately enough to have gotten it at a steep discount and which makes the resale proposition worth it should it comes down to it. And most importantly, I know what to expect and what I will be getting ahead of time and so I am happy with my decision and purchase.

Oh and having another silver 430mm equipment in the AV shelf just makes looking at my system that much visually better looking.
Yes I had a hum issue with my system and buying a $100 power conditioner solved it. Now I use $100-$150 power conditioners for all my set ups. It’s not a lot of money for the functionality peace of mind and some audio jewelry effect.

D

Deleted member 48726

I'm totally with you on that.
I've made it my personal mission to become a market-disruptor in that respect.
I can't give examples as it would be considered as advertising, but there is NO need to spend 1000's of anything on cables!
Isn't 300 USD for 1.6 ft. of power cable considered snake oil? "The Silkworm"

ChrisCables

Audio Company
Isn't 300 USD for 1.6 ft. of power cable considered snake oil? "The Silkworm"
Not when you consider the amount of time it takes to make (3 hours. Sleeving the cable inch by inch is the most time-consuming process).
It's also a damn sight cheaper than the AQ cable that it's based on ($1000+).
Consider also that of that $300 that I have to give half of that back in taxes and overhead, as well as trying to work in a modest profit margin and you might then realise the comparative value proposition.

Of course if you're looking for absolute maximum value for money there are cheaper kettle cords (made in China mostly) and I can supply you with links to those if required? They're about $5 each. Fantastic value I'd suggest and usually CE marked too!

Last edited:
Top Bottom