• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL updates the $249 85w/160w AO200 Mk2 w/ MA5332MS chipset

TonyJZX

Major Contributor

this is a giant mashup between the older AO200 and the A300 with the 200 case inheriting the 300 amp chipset

it still has the dumb type A to type A digital input which passes the audio thru the BT chipset

it seems like SMSL throw their various devices into a Jeff Goldblum matter transport machine and they regularly spit out these new devices with common features

but if you want XLR and a color screen...

Opus_003

Another review.

Anyone know if this sounds better than the Aiyima A08pro?

shilent

I had this MKII for about two weeks now with KEF R3 Meta's. I was previously using the original AO200.

I can't hear any difference, probably because I rarely go over 80db at around 2 meters.

The only difference I could find was in order to match the volume output of 40 out of 70 on the original (which is what I had it set to), I have to set the MKII to 46. When set to max of 70 on both, the MKII is louder of course (volume is being controlled by MiniDSP Flex).

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I had this MKII for about two weeks now with KEF R3 Meta's. I was previously using the original AO200.

I can't hear any difference, probably because I rarely go over 80db at around 2 meters.

The only difference I could find was in order to match the volume output of 40 out of 70 on the original (which is what I had it set to), I have to set the MKII to 46. When set to max of 70 on both, the MKII is louder of course (volume is being controlled by MiniDSP Flex).
How is the tonality? Any harshness in the upper midrange? I have found that to be the case with the Fosi Audio BT20A Pro, but not with the lesser powered SMSL SA300. Generally I find that if I want to keep increasing the volume on any track, the tonality is good for me, with my ears, in my room.

armaster

I can hear some noise on AO200 Mk2 at max level. Mostly when BT or USB input is selected, a little when unbalanced input is selected and none if balanced input is selected (without any cables on input, only speaker connected to amp).

I can hear also pops when selecting between input an turning amp off.

I can hear also brum in my speakers. It becomes louder if I put my finger closer to input RCA jack. I don't have this issue with my topping PA3s or PA5II (same cables, same position).

I'm not an audiophile but I think, If you don't need BT, USB, EQ and fancy display with small text that it's hard to read, Topping PA5II is better option (same price, no noise, no pops and no brum).

OP
T

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
at $211 is very very hard to sling too much at this given it does a lot for the money

however people here would be justifiably suspicious of the MA5332

the only competition would be at the lower end with the new Fosi XLR but then some people must have a screen and remote

Opus_003

Another review.

Anyone know if this sounds better than the Aiyima A08pro?
I ordered and returned the SMSL AO200 MKII. There's a sheen on the top end that I didn't like and though some of the presets were better than the others, it didn't work in my system. I have fairly neutral speakers, so I think I like my amplifier a titch warm, but still with plenty of detail.

ripmixburn

Forum Donor
I also sense a small amount of glare, but oddly much prefer the SMSL AO200 MKII to the combination of NCORE (Audiophonics MPA-S250NC) and JDS Labs Atom as a preamp. This is either with a pair of Arendal 1961 Bookshelf speakers or even PSB Imagine Mini. The Fosi BT20A-PRO is the glariest of the bunch.

What's the best way for me to measure the difference?

Svperstar

I'm debating picking one of these up and using a converter to drive Stax headphones, not sure tho.

Top Bottom