• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL Output low

Jack Roland

I have a SMSL do200mkii it gives me outstanding results. I use it to listen to CD's from my Sony 400 cd Player. I use the optical input. My problem is with the DAC volume at maximum I have to have my amplifier at about half volume to get 87 to 92 db volume from my Klipsch floor standing speaker that are very efficient, it really doesent cause me a problem just that using my reel to reel tape deck I get the same volume with about 1/3 volume. any suggestions. Thanks

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a SMSL do200mkii it gives me outstanding results. I use it to listen to CD's from my Sony 400 cd Player. I use the optical input. My problem is with the DAC volume at maximum I have to have my amplifier at about half volume to get 87 to 92 db volume from my Klipsch floor standing speaker that are very efficient, it really doesent cause me a problem just that using my reel to reel tape deck I get the same volume with about 1/3 volume. any suggestions. Thanks
If it doesn't cause you a problem, don't worry about it.

It is common for different devices to have different output levels. The SMSL has 2V on RCA and 4V on XLR - this is pretty much the de-facto standard for DACs.

If you have XLR input on your Amp, you might get a higher level using the XLR interconnect.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
As a sanity check, switch the SMSL's Pre Mode setting to "Vol Fixed", which should pin the volume at maximum. Otherwise I can't see what could be causing such low levels, short of a firmware bug or some sort of actual defect.

I would also try a non-SPDIF input, like USB from a computer of sorts or even BT from a phone or tablet.

Top Bottom