• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Since I have used IEMs for a long time,

jeromeglen896

Since I have used IEMs for a long time, my ears seem to be inflamed. How long is it reasonable to use IEMs?

mrbungle

Don’t get medical advice from the internet. If these are new IEMs and you wore them for hours without breaks, it is possible your ears are just sensitive to certain frequencies. Once you are pain free, keep your listening sessions under an hour and eventually your ears get used to it. In slightest doubt, see a Doctor.

JSmith

Master Contributor
my ears seem to be inflamed
As mentioned, please see a Doctor;
In this study, prolonged use of the headphones amongst customer service representatives did not predispose them to infection of the external ear canal. However in individuals who already had chronic middle ear infection, its use could cause increased itchiness and reactivation of the middle ear infection.

JSmith

Soandso

I have been introducing small amounts inexpensive, commonly available, over the counter clotrimazole 1% cream on a cotton "Q" tip in my ear for around 30 years whenever feel a minor irritation. I don't try to reach the ear drum, but rather twirl the clotrimazole 1% off against the ear canal sides, withdraw the Q-tip and then pinch the external base of the ear between my fingers to move the cream against the inner surfaces of the ear canal in such a way as to spread the cream.

Clotrimazole is not only antifungal, as it is well known for, including documented use for otomycosis. Less commonly understood it also has antibacterial action primarily against some gram positive bacteria. See below graphic where "MBC" (minimal bacterial concentrations) and 24/48 hr levels of strain control for staphylococcus and streptoccocus are induced.

Clotrimazole 1% cream usually has benzyl alcohol in it. This is commonly understood to be a compounding ingredient for both ingredient blending and keeping bacteria from growing on a product. However, it is also has analgesic
properties and this is probably what quells ear canal itching (in my case due to extended usage of earplugs).

[I also use a bit more clotrimazole 1% cream on several Q-tips to clean my dogs ears - a very straightforward process.]

FFDE9298-5357-4456-8AA2-B746A03B0A5A.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom