• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your vintage cassettes!

JayGilb

Major Contributor
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600.jpg

When I was in junior high, I purchased a box of commercial reel to reel recordings at a yard sale because my father had an old Wollensak unit. This tape (internet image) was at the top of the stack in the box and caught my attention.
Damn it sounded good to me at the time.
The box was lost to a basement flood at my parent's house when I was attending university.

OP
restorer-john

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
IME, none of the cassette tape style demagnetizers work. Even a fresh battery doesn't seem to provide enough power to create a strong enough field to really demagnetize the head.
I've had much better results with the wand-style demagnetizer that you plug into the wall.
I've confirmed this by activating them next to a mountaineering compass. The cassette tape style barely move the needle, if at all. The wand style instantly swing it to a different setting and hold it there as you move the compass around.

That poor compass never worked properly again did it? Ask the ground team, rescue helicopter and five days of searching that time when you last used it in the back-woods. ;)

ronniebear

Toscanini/NBC Symphony with the Robert Shaw Chorale - a very fine rendition of LvB's Op. 125. This is a monaural "New Orthophonic High Fidelity" recording from Carnegie Hall, 1952, and as presented here it's a neat example of classy cassette packaging, with a beautifully presented J-card and cassette labeling.

Attachments

• Tosc Beeth 9th tape box edge 01.jpg
    Tosc Beeth 9th tape box edge 01.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Tosc Beeth 9th tape box 07.jpg
    Tosc Beeth 9th tape box 07.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Tosc Beeth 9th tape inside liner 02.jpg
    Tosc Beeth 9th tape inside liner 02.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 27
  • Tosc Beeth 9th tape 04 best.jpg
    Tosc Beeth 9th tape 04 best.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 27

pollock0424

20230520_202823.jpg

20230119_192013.jpg
20230505_211548.jpg

Millennial here, started collecting cassettes a few months ago. Not for hifi but it is so much fun to tweak the decks, send test tones and adjust the bias and rec levels...just right. Using just a bit of eq, metal tapes I was able to make some of my favorite songs sound even better to my ears. Just a tad bit of low end distortion...and slightly rolled off highs.

This is the closest I have come to making music.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
An equalizer would probably be easier to change things with than fussing with cassettes. I dumped cassettes 30 years ago for digital, which is much better. YMMV, good luck!

pollock0424

An equalizer would probably be easier to change things with than fussing with cassettes. I dumped cassettes 30 years ago for digital, which is much better. YMMV, good luck!
You're probably right, provided that I can model the distortion and use a DSP/EQ to implement that. Mind you, this is for fun...kinda like hobby. By no means this is intended to replace my HiFi rig.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You're probably right, provided that I can model the distortion and use a DSP/EQ to implement that. Mind you, this is for fun...kinda like hobby. By no means this is intended to replace my HiFi rig.
LOL I just look at vinyl and cassettes (as well as 8-tracks) to just be things to be moved on from....if you didn't grow up with the tech it could be interesting I suppose.

pollock0424

LOL I just look at vinyl and cassettes (as well as 8-tracks) to just be things to be moved on from....if you didn't grow up with the tech it could be interesting I suppose.
It gets me to use my Sig gen, Scope, etc. I figured out that cassettes are very finicky about the operating point. You have to bias it properly, set level accordingly, and may be adjust the azimuth for rec and play head if you can. If any of this is not set correctly then cassettes will sound lousy. Not to mention the moving parts in it.

Anyways, this is what makes it fascinating for me.

I sweep tones and monitor levels and distortion to get the deck to operate in a sweet spot for a given cassette.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It gets me to use my Sig gen, Scope, etc. I figured out that cassettes are very finicky about the operating point. You have to bias it properly, set level accordingly, and may be adjust the azimuth for rec and play head if you can. If any of this is not set correctly then cassettes will sound lousy. Not to mention the moving parts in it.

Anyways, this is what makes it fascinating for me.

I sweep tones and monitor levels and distortion to get the deck to operate in a sweet spot for a given cassette.
Those are indeed attributes of using tape systems, but if I wanted tape I'd rather have high speed reel to reel....actually was considering going that way when digital became widely available and discarded that idea. I just don't want to fuss much with the media these days either. Vinyl was bad enough, as well as my time with cassettes.....

pollock0424

Those are indeed attributes of using tape systems, but if I wanted tape I'd rather have high speed reel to reel....actually was considering going that way when digital became widely available and discarded that idea. I just don't want to fuss much with the media these days either. Vinyl was bad enough, as well as my time with cassettes.....
I have a reel to reel too! I think a good cassette deck with bias/rec level adjustments probably measures better than vinyl in SNR, Channel separation etc?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a reel to reel too! I think a good cassette deck with bias/rec level adjustments probably measures better than vinyl in SNR, Channel separation etc?
You're using what original source material/media, tho? I used cassettes primarily to make mix tapes from vinyl, and then I could just use digital everywhere and the cassette no longer had a use for me.

pollock0424

You're using what original source material/media, tho? I used cassettes primarily to make mix tapes from vinyl, and then I could just use digital everywhere and the cassette no longer had a use for me.
Tidal, CDs etc. Sorry, no vinyl! Carefully mix taped compact cassette is the lowest I can stoop in terms of channel separation, SNR.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tidal, CDs etc. Sorry, no vinyl! Carefully mix taped compact cassette is the lowest I can stoop in terms of channel separation, SNR.
If I were making playlists from those sources I'd just go digital, more useful. My oldest car still has a cassette deck, tho it has other issues :) Channel separation is an issue?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Millennial here, started collecting cassettes a few months ago. Not for hifi but it is so much fun to tweak the decks, send test tones and adjust the bias and rec levels...just right. Using just a bit of eq, metal tapes I was able to make some of my favorite songs sound even better to my ears. Just a tad bit of low end distortion...and slightly rolled off highs.

This is the closest I have come to making music.
Have you tried 'demagnetizing' the heads yet? :oops:
It's like changing your own spark plugs but NOT because they needed to be replaced...
Oh wait, you are a millenial; you may not know what a spark-plug is!

pollock0424

If I were making playlists from those sources I'd just go digital, more useful. My oldest car still has a cassette deck, tho it has other issues :) Channel separation is an issue?
Oh! I do have playlists on Tidal and elsewhere! I use my miniDSP SHD for streaming and preamp duties. I have read that vinyl lacks in channel separation. Cassettes are okay though, again, only TOTL decks and good type ii/type iv metals. Cassettes don't belong in cars. IMHO!

If vinyl never made it into mainstream automotive then I don't understand why they shoved cassette into automotive. This move probably caused the death of cassettes.

pollock0424

Have you tried 'demagnetizing' the heads yet? :oops:
It's like changing your own spark plugs but NOT because they needed to be replaced...
Oh wait, you are a millenial; you may not know what a spark-plug is!
Which head are you talking about? ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh! I do have playlists on Tidal and elsewhere! I use my miniDSP SHD for streaming and preamp duties. I have read that vinyl lacks in channel separation. Cassettes are okay though, again, only TOTL decks and good type ii/type iv metals. Cassettes don't belong in cars. IMHO!

If vinyl never made it into mainstream automotive then I don't understand why they shoved cassette into automotive. This move probably caused the death of cassettes.
Cassettes had a pretty good automotive run and worked a lot better than the vinyl attempts. Digital just blew cassettes away eventually in the car, tho. A great deal of separation (i.e. crosstalk spec) is not a typical issue in any case.

pollock0424

Cassettes had a pretty good automotive run and worked a lot better than the vinyl attempts. Digital just blew cassettes away eventually in the car, tho. A great deal of separation (i.e. crosstalk spec) is not a typical issue in any case.
Yes, digital has convenience, easy of use, reproducibility in its favor. Although, people call it soulless probably because of not having to work to get it and nostalgia? I don't care, many times I go with digital but sometimes I take my scope/Sig gen out and make a good mixtape.

Top Bottom