• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Server / streaming bridge for Gustard X16 (Qobuz) wanted

Schönramer

Hi! I am a big fan of this community and currently I am searching for a streamer (with optional cd-ripper) for my DAC.
Before I start I to tell you my background. I like to listen to music in high quality and enjoy good recordings (staging, transparency, sound colors,…) very much. Therefore I listen a lot and read lots of reviews. After a long CD / SACD time (I „believe“ that I can hear differences between CD and SACD) I joined this forum because I wanted to stream on highest possible and best money-value level. Therefore I read here about the Gustard X16, bought it and am super happy with it. My current chain is: Gustard X16 via XLR to Audionet SAM G2 firing Dynaudio Special 40. I stream from Qobuz on my iPhone 12 using an USB cable. First I tried MQA on tidal but I had the feeling that it is sometimes sounded like having a reduced dynamic range. Then I tested Qobuz and am happy with it. I also optimized my listening room with diffusers and dampers. Now I want to change to a server / streaming bridge controlled by an APP and rip my CD collection and want to use the bridge to stream Qobuz or the ripped CDs from an SSD.
I am also open to Roon but have no experience with it.
Now I read a lot of reviews regarding servers and streaming bridges and am not sure if they have influence on the sound. In my opinion it is only bits and bytes that need to be transported without failure to the DAC and then the DAC has a big impact. But maybe I am wrong because I also read here about the linear PSU that helps the SOtM sMS-200 to lower noise.
So please help me to get a recommendation for an excellent server / streaming bridge that improves my current setup in means of usability / user experience and of course and if possible on sound quality.
So far I read about:
  • Innuos Zen Mk3
  • SOtM sMS-200 ultra
  • Nucleus by Roon
  • Melco N1
  • Bluesound Vault 2i
  • Prime Computer PrimeMini 5
  • audiodata MS I SE
But I am also open to more suggestions and background information. Thanks for your support!

stbourg

Hi,
Pretty old your post but found it by accident while searching for something else.
Anyway, if you're still looking, just build your own ripper/streamer/server of any old MAC or PC you might have laying around : > https://daphile.com/. Daphile is a fork of LMS/slimserver and got everything you'll ever need. I use old Mac mini's for my builds and it's perfect. All of your mentioned brands are just trying to sell you a reinvented wheel so to speak.

OP
S

Schönramer

Hi!
Thanks for your reply! I will definitely take a look and still think that a streaming bridge makes sense.

Top Bottom