• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seriously, does Shoegaze sound better on better speakers?

clarence

I assume some systems are better suited for Shoegaze than others?

A couple examples:

My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow

Medicine - Time Baby lll

Curve - Coast Is Clear

I've just picked up the Kanto Tuk and Sub8 for my studio condo thinking the AMT tweeter might suit the breathy vocals and the sealed box might better deal with the reverb/drone.

Planning to build a home though (without the space/noise constraints), and wondering if maybe Magnepans might provide the atmospheric sound I'm looking for?

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I assume some systems are better suited for Shoegaze than others?

A couple examples:

My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow

Medicine - Time Baby lll

Curve - Coast Is Clear

I've just picked up the Kanto Tuk and Sub8 for my studio condo thinking the AMT tweeter might suit the breathy vocals and the sealed box might better deal with the reverb/drone.

Planning to build a home though (without the space/noise constraints), and wondering if maybe Magnepans might provide the atmospheric sound I'm looking for?
You’re not alone. I had the exact same issue tonight trying to listen to the Boo Radleys. There are actually lots of bands that I really love that I can’t actually listen to when I’m in my listening room. It’s not that the music itself is bad, but it’s simply not as enjoyable to listen to as other options.

skunkybiker

Forum Donor
Abso-f'ing lutely. I was a huge MBV fan in the early '90s and had a set of Boston HD 9's in the day which had 'accurate' bass that was ok but you just could not feel what Mr. Shields was trying to get done. Only Shallow does not work without some bass. Then my roommate got some big-ass Cerwin Vega's that could thump and I dunno about objectively accurate this or that, but it was WAY betta' with those. Then I saw them live in Chicago open for Dinosaur at the Metro in 1992 and that wall of ethereal sound driven by their endless Marshall stacks was transformational! Poor J. Mascis ... as good as he was MBV redefined what you could do with guitars and tape loops. And it worked because the joint was humming with energy.

Last edited:
OP
C

clarence

What kind of music is your system suited for, GDK? And what about your system makes it unsuitable for shoegaze?

That's right, skunkybiker, volume is almost a requirement. But I'll have to wait for a home for that.

Top Bottom