• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rythmik Audio shipping overseas - chances?

Nikolas

First of all, happy Easter to everyone! And may the bunny crush mr. covid.

Secondly, I apologize in advance if this isn't the right subforum, but couldn't find any more appropriate.

So, I read on the Rythmik Audio website that they don't ship full subwoofers overseas (I quote) "due to increasingly high shipping cost". Yet I read somewhere on these pages that an European guy (from Sweden iirc) managed to get two subwoofers shipped for about 350 €. Are there other people from Europe willing to share their experience in regard? I tried to calculate shipping costs (to Italy) but my results are horribly higher - either I mistyped something or I better, reluctantly, find an alternative...

Geert

Major Contributor
On the Dutch HTForum.nl forum their are lots of users who imported a Rythmik sub, however, these purchases all date from before the COVID-19 crisis. You can try asking over there.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are many wonderful options around. Rhythmik is good stuff, I'm sure, but I can't imagine it's much of a value in Europe.

Geert

Major Contributor
There are many wonderful options around. Rhythmik is good stuff, I'm sure, but I can't imagine it's much of a value in Europe.
Why not? I guess it's the only affordable servo controlled sub. A Grimm Audio LS1s-dmf is more than 10k€. A lot of the 'cost is no object' audiophiles have a Rhythmic over here. Often they have multiple.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Getting a good subwoofer in Europe is a pain indeed. Not much choice, basically only SVS and XTZ.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Getting a good subwoofer in Europe is a pain indeed. Not much choice, basically only SVS and XTZ.

Is that so?

There are companies that produce really good loudspeakers and SWs like Norwegian Arendal. And when I say "really good" I'm referring to THX certified stuff. Their 1961 1S is a fine piece of technology, sealed box that will go well playing music and for a quite reasonable price of 800EUR.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
There are postal forwarding offices that will ship your items out of US for you. Check around for one that operates for your country.

QMuse

Major Contributor
There are postal forwarding offices that will ship your items out of US for you. Check around for one that operates for your country.

Add overseas shipping, custom (import) fees and VAT on top of all that and most stuff from USA becomes too expensive.

Olli

Forum Donor
Rhythmik ships to Europe - at least they did. I got F18s and F8s to Germany. Just Email them.
And the price is right imo - even including shipping and other fees.
2 F18s were 350 USD for shipping.

QMuse

Major Contributor
Rhythmik ships to Europe - at least they did. I got F18s and F8s to Germany. Just Email them.

And how much for import taxes and VAT?

OP
N

Nikolas

This doesn't make much sense to me. If something sounds good, it sounds good all over the world. US ears are not different from EU ears.

On the Dutch HTForum.nl forum their are lots of users who imported a Rythmik sub, however, these purchases all date from before the COVID-19 crisis. You can try asking over there.
Thanks for the advice, I'll try and read!

That's what I remembered! Yes, 350$/€ would be good for me - and I'd be getting only one SW and smaller. The UPS calculator gave me 900/1100 $ and that's too much!

Last edited:

QMuse

Major Contributor
They will help you calculate the least expensive package - just email them: [email protected]

I'm pretty sure they will, but what I'm trying to stress here is that shipping costs are only a fraction of importing costs. You have to add import taxes and then apply VAT on the total sum of cost+shipping cost+import taxes.

Last edited:

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This doesn't make much sense to me. If something sounds good, it sounds good all over the world. US ears are not different from EU ears.

As I said, it's a value issue. Not a sound quality issue. Shipping plus import fees are killers of value. If you can get SVS in Europe at a better price, just go for that. Get a PB version unless you have no room. Tons of power and lots of extension at a reasonable price. Plus excellent control software.

Honken

XTZ were mentioned earlier in the thread, does anyone know what models their EDGE-series compare to?

In my corner of Europe, XTZ' SUB 12.17 EDGE (all those capital letters are fatiguing to read) can be had for the same money as SVS' PB-1000. On paper, the XTZ seems like a better deal (more inputs, bigger woofer, more powerful amplification, etc.), but I've learned that matters little in reality.

Thanks for any pointers!

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I imported one FV15HP to Sweden besides shipping you have VAT and import taxes add 50% to price on thier site.
And you get close to your total cost .

And FV15 was the largest one they exported.

This was a year ago ,things may changed a bit.

I regards this as bargain anyway it integrates so well , that I only hear it when I turn it off :) as something is missing from the music .

OP
N

Nikolas

Yes I imported one FV15HP to Sweden besides shipping you have VAT and import taxes add 50% to price on thier site.
And you get close to your total cost .

And FV15 was the largest one they exported.

This was a year ago ,things may changed a bit.

I regards this as bargain anyway it integrates so well , that I only hear it when I turn it off :) as something is missing from the music .
So for a E15HP (rated 1273$ - about 1170€ as of today) I should expect a plus of 600€?

detlev24

You probably mean, E15. :)

International shipping these days has become more expensive, due to the virus situation... Under normal circumstances, you'd need to calculate with roughly $300 for an E15 shipping to central Europe. In this case, price would be $1273+$300 = $1573 and that's the amount on which VAT + customs will be added. May I ask in which country you live?

In case of most EU countries, that would be roughly +20% VAT => roughly $1.887,60 total. [Probably no additional customs duty would be asked, depending on the TARIC code, that applies to a 'subwoofer with single driver'.] But you'd certainly need to add up to $50 for the selected shipping company to handle everything regarding your import, so they can deliver to your door, after customs are happy. As a private person, I would suggest to pay for that extra service - unless you enjoy the headache of customs handling.

Long story short: +600€ is quite realistic; and still would be a "bargain" compared to what the EU subwoofer market offers.

[EDIT]
You should consider one more thing: In case of a warranty claim, you'd have some additional costs to send the defective part back to the US (a proper customs declaration is required, in order not to pay additional VAT once you receive it back). That being said, Rythmik Audio's customer support is excellent but out of obvious reasons, they will most likely not pay for both-way shipping. Just ask about the 'terms and conditions' in case of warranty, before you buy.

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So for a E15HP (rated 1273$ - about 1170€ as of today) I should expect a plus of 600€?

Depending on your VAT level and other fees yes I suppose.

But for Rhytmic to continue exporting I suggest one just suck it up ( the extra costs ) and not nag them about it :)
If they where a bigger brand with local distributor it probably cost even more a lot more as markup for stores comes into it ,etc

OP
N

Nikolas

You probably mean, E15. :)

International shipping these days has become more expensive, due to the virus situation... Under normal circumstances, you'd need to calculate with roughly $300 for an E15 shipping to central Europe. In this case, price would be $1273+$300 = $1573 and that's the amount on which VAT + customs will be added. May I ask in which country you live?

In case of most EU countries, that would be roughly +20% VAT => roughly $1.887,60 total. [Probably no additional customs duty would be asked, depending on the TARIC code, that applies to a 'subwoofer with single driver'.] But you'd certainly need to add up to $50 for the selected shipping company to handle everything regarding your import, so they can deliver to your door, after customs are happy. As a private person, I would suggest to pay for that extra service - unless you enjoy the headache of customs handling.

Long story short: +600€ is quite realistic; and still would be a "bargain" compared to what the EU subwoofer market offers.

[EDIT]
You should consider one more thing: In case of a warranty claim, you'd have some additional costs to send the defective part back to the US (a proper customs declaration is required, in order not to pay additional VAT once you receive it back). That being said, Rythmik Audio's customer support is excellent but out of obvious reasons, they will most likely not pay for both-way shipping. Just ask about the 'terms and conditions' in case of warranty, before you buy.
Yes I meant E15 :facepalm:
Anyway I live in Northern Italy, so my VAT is +22%. Doesn't change very much, that's the order of magnitude - I'll accept it.

Depending on your VAT level and other fees yes I suppose.

But for Rhytmic to continue exporting I suggest one just suck it up ( the extra costs ) and not nag them about it :)
If they where a bigger brand with local distributor it probably cost even more a lot more as markup for stores comes into it ,etc
Ahah ok I'll be a good boy and just think about sound quality, "a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"

Top Bottom