• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

RME ADI-2 Pro FS R - Using as Preamp/DAC.. Force Sample Rate for Analogue

formdissolve

Forum Donor
Hello all, quick question for the RME experts .. When using this as a Preamp or DAC with USB plugged in, the manual states that the USB becomes the master clock. Indeed, when I switch to Analogue in, I can not change the sample rate of the AD conversion and it is stuck at the previously used sample rate from USB. If I remove the USB from the device, I can manually select the sample rate for the AD conversion. I believe I may be limited by this, but wanted to see if I was interpreting the manual incorrectly.

Use case
I'd like to use the device as a preamp in my system and allow the digital side of things to automatically update the sample rate and bit depth per file. I will be connecting it with the following:
  • USB: Roon bridge
  • COAX: HDMI to PCM converter from Blu-Ray player
  • Optical: TV PCM
  • Analogue Input: Unbalanced RCA switch for turntable, cassette, VCR, etc.
I'd like to set the analogue input to 192khz or higher and be done with it. From what I can tell in the manual and my attempts though, as long as USB is connected the sample rate for AD conversion will always be that last used sample rate from USB, no matter what the clock source is set to.

Last edited:
OP
formdissolve

formdissolve

Forum Donor

unpluggged

I'd like to set the analogue input to 192khz or higher and be done with it. From what I can tell in the manual and my attempts though, as long as USB is connected the sample rate for AD conversion will always be that last used sample rate from USB, no matter what the clock source is set to.
That is correct. Sample rate is set either via USB driver or internally, but you can't have two sample rates for one clock at the same time.

Top Bottom