• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rear Wall Diffusion Question

Sukotto85

I've recently had a garden room built, which I have turned into a cinema/gaming room. I have a question about rear wall diffusion, if I put 3 x Vicoustic Multifuser Wood MKII, which it make much of a difference to the sound? Is diffusion even the best option for the rear wall. The seating area is around 8 feet from the wall, which I am told is ideal for diffusion? The room is 6 x 4.5 x 2.1 meters.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• 20220619_124248.jpg
    20220619_124248.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 93

FeddyLost

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It will definitely make some difference, but I doubt that it will be big and justify price and work required to fix 60 kg on your wall.
You are planning to cover around 11% of your only rear wall with diffusion, when you have big flat surfaces everywhere behind main listeninig position.
I'd better use these panels on side walls unless you are already treated all 1st reflections.

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Is this the only treatment you plan? Unless you already have these diffusors I think you would be better investing the money in absorbent panels. In fact it would be better still if you understand a bit about what you are trying to achieve by using room treatment (forgive me if you already do!) before investing in it. It's a complicated business and it's easy to waste money for little result, or the wrong results.

You are right when you say that diffusers need a certain distance to work properly - too close and you can hear them as I discovered early on my journey!

I only understand stereo so I can't properly advise. The methods of controlling the sound in your room is:

1. Careful positioning of speakers and listening position.
2. Room treatment (bass traps, lighter panels for reflections, and perhaps diffusers).
3. Sub woofers - one or more carefully positioned.
3. DSP/EQ - to tidy things up.

We on here recommend measuring with a microphone and software to understand fully what is needed and what we are doing. You could just use your ears if you can't be bothered with all this but quite frankly I didn't know good sound until I measured it and got used to it. For example, I thought I had good bass but in fact it was just some frequencies that were loud (boomy really) and once you get each bass frequency at an equal level, the whole musical spectrum opens up - you get musical bass.

Of course what you can do is decided by finance and your domestic situation so you may not be able to do all these.

Most important is getting bass right. Subs and/or DSP/EQ can do this alone although room treatment is better as it helps allot with decay times too - giving a tighter bass.

Next deal with side wall and other reflections. Some people like these - I don't as I find stopping reflections gives a sharper image and sound.

Go just over half way down the linked page and there's a film called 'All About Diffusion':

https://realtraps.com/videos.htm

Realtraps has lots of info including some videos and is worth exploring.

OP
S

Sukotto85

Thanks for the replies.

I've bought a box of Vicoustic Cinema Rounds, which contains 8 panels. These will be used on the first reflection points. Still in the planning stages on what to get next for the other walls.

I understand that 3 diffusers won't make a huge difference. I also don't want a back wall that's covered in acoustic treatment. The couch does a pretty good job at absorbtion. My overall goal it to make the room sound good, while also considering the aestheticals of the room - I have to keep more than one person happy.

To be honest, the room sounds very good in its current state (with the cinema arounds sitting on the radiators), but then I know there's always room for improvement. I will he investing in a microphone, so I can do some measurements.

Thanks for link, I'll certain check it out later.

Here's some more photos, so you know what I am working with.

Attachments

• 20220619_124354.jpg
    20220619_124354.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 20220619_124146.jpg
    20220619_124146.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 20220619_124005.jpg
    20220619_124005.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 76
Top Bottom