• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Rank the most important variables to obtain optimal sound perception in the listening position.

Neuro

Rank the most important variables to obtain optimal sound perception in the listening position. Rank from the most important to the least important. Please justify the ranking position if possible. Describe how the variables are interrelated.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is a big question, probably requiring an entire book to treat properly, but here's a fairly causal attempt:

1. Speaker frequency response - This is the single largest determinant of sound quality at the source in objective terms, assuming the rest of the equipment is operating inside its design envelope.
  2. Room acoustics - You could argue as to whether this is a bigger factor than speaker FR, but without speaker FR there's nothing for the room acoustics to affect, so philosophically, I put speakers first. This has the single largest objective impact on the sound reaching the listener's ears, (arguably) aside from the speaker itself.
    1. Within room acoustics, you have a few major factors, which IMO go in this order of importance, but I'd expect some debate here:
      1. Low frequency modes
      2. RT60 / decay time
      3. ER vs Late reflections vs. diffusion
  3. Speaker directivity - This has a large effect on perceived FR at the listening position, since it's basically "the frequency response at different angles".
  4. Speaker distortion - If distortion at the cone gets too high, it impairs the listening experience pretty obviously.
  5. Amp power - If you don't have enough, you impair distortion or frequency response.
  6. Everything else. - At this point we are left to discuss noise or distortion coming from the electronics, which is objectively, normally, minuscule in comparison to the first 5 items.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
… yes 100%…. And as the OP asks about perception. Point 0 of your list, could be personal preference, which in my eyes is futile to argue about let alone next to impossible to quantify in an Internet forum (yes one could do blind listening tests as @Matias did, unfortunately many still deny nor understand it).

OP
Neuro

Neuro

1. The distortion of the direct sound is, for me, by far the most important variable.
2. Optimum reflexes which enhance the direct sound and create a spatial experience.
3. A straight frequency curve of the direct sound can usually be created with PEQ without adding distortion.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I want a comfy chair for listening. But ironically, I seem to be pickier about the sound if I'm perfectly comfortable.

Elkerton

I agree that the speaker itself is probably the most important single variable. to that I would add speaker placement. When I place speakers in a room, I begin with wee ones on stands because of their ease of movement (not on their own :) ) and listen to music. Usually there are one or two locations that sound best. Measurement then confirms the evenness of the FR. In one instance, the speakers sounded best straddling an outside corner because of the square, concrete foundation of the section of the house that included the recreation room. In another, fortunately, straddling a fireplace, the most aesthetically pleasing place as well.

Play with placement.

tmuikku

Brain and perception is the judge, so backwards from there:
1. what makes the brain happy, emotion
2. sound needs to be at ears so that above realizes, distraction free time for brain so the music delivers
3. sound in room is affected by the acoustics, so what comes to ear involves room, the environment overall, and the loudspeaker system and listener position in relation to the room
4. in the room there is ambient noise and acoustics, other distractions that can affect mood and emotion, needs to be comfortable at least
5. the loudspeaker system needs to emit problem free sound in such way that it works for the hearing system in combination with room acoustics
6. problem free sound from loudspeaker system needs these top level concepts: enough SPL capability, enough bandwidth and good balance, no distracting problems
7. problem free electronics before and as part of the loudspeaker system, no noise or other distractions

What feel minor to me is anything that is not a problem, like tone of amplifier or thickness of cable or brand of a driver or paint color of the speakers and anything alike, as long as they do are not a distraction. As perhaps readable form the list everything needs to work as a complete system, its impossible to get maximum enjoyment if only some areas are covered and others neglected as its all affecting the brain on the situation :) Properties of loudspeakers and room and how everything is positioned relates to quality of "stereo" effect, tune to your liking.

To spice it up add good company and good music and having fun time, good mood, tickle all senses.

Last edited:
OP
Neuro

Neuro

I like your attitude and twist on the thread. Of course, the very most important thing is your emotional response to the sound.

tmuikku

Its interesting task to make a priority list, there is so much detail to anything that its easy to get distracted into thinking about small details that might not be too important in the end. On the other hand its the small details that add up and make the top result how do you know whats important without listening a lot? While there probably is a priority list for all the details of a playback system I think it can be condensed philosophically to single minimum requirement that needs to be met: problem free system*

Example, I see many people start a speaker project by buying drivers and then wonder how to put them together. While it is as valid approach to the hobby as any, the hobby is mostly about having fun, still all the important things that actually affect the sound most are never thought about. The concentration is in making a pair of speakers when in reality the goal is to make very good sound and concentration should be there, how to make a good sound system, what is good sound?:)

Now you start asking why, why doesn't my speaker sound good even though I have fashionable drivers in? What actually sounds good to me, what do I really like? how about effects of room, does it make a system that allows one to tune out the room as necessary? Does it play loud enough because everything seems to sound better the louder it is, until it doesn't anymore because of distortion somewhere? Whats that buzz, can't hear the details due to it? All kinds of things start to pop up into mind if one pays attention past the small details and at that moment the drivers are irrelevant. Starting from drivers is backwards approach to me, end result would get much better if starting with thought process, about what I like, does the room and positioning affect, can I compensate some with a speaker system? with what kind of a speaker system? What are the important things in a speaker system? what kind of prototypes and tests I need to do to find it out what sounds like what, do I really want to go that deep or just enjoy what ever I have already? and so on.

While doing a priority list with lots of detail a lot of questions arise which might affect the order, like if the loudspeaker system size is limited for some practical reason and its now impossible to meet SPL and bandwidth requirement. What then, whats the next important thing and can that be met? or what actually is SPL and and bandwidth requirement I should target, where is the nice compromise and what are the trade-offs, can I live with that or should I renegotiate if bigger system would be okay? Or, can I compensate the size limit by pouring in more amplifier power and whats the trade off with that? Any other ways to overcome size restriction?

In reality its about always like that, some constrains, some missing information, lack of experience and all kinds of issues that do not concern the playback system directly. Ask for advice and someone gives it for a different context, because its difficult to see/think each others context without living together. This kind of high level thinking that outlines a context enables to determine what details go in and why and in which order.

And the common thing to all this is the enjoyment in the brain, having fun with the hobby, finding out what I like and how to achieve. So, perhaps the priority list should actually be to
1. have fun
2. think, find out and explore to learn
3. reorganize the setting towards direction you think is the right one
4. enjoy life and spread it to others :D

Now that you are on a positive feedback loop you'll hopefully get to better and better sound at your own pace in your own context.

Well, please continue its interesting subject on many levels :)

* problems are many, some more severe than others, but the common theme is that they are such things your hearing system doesn't get used to, doesn't adapt to, doesn't filter out. These are issues grab your conscious or unconscious attention, the attention is now away from the music, connection to music got lost.

Last edited:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Number one is definitely alcohol. When you're drunk enough, everything can sound amazing.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
While it may not be all-imprortant and highly ranked from what’s already mentioned, I’d personally prefer a system that has minimal GD. This is usually easier or is more natural to achieve (less DSP needed) via closed/sealed speaker designs.

ozzy9832001

Every room and set of speakers is going to be different. To me, the priority will change depending on what the weakest link in the chain is at any given point.

You could say FR is the most important, but depending on where the response is lacking, it might not be a big deal -- so then maybe only the low end, say from 250hz and below is really important.

I think it's nice to always have a goal in mind, but honestly, I think people get lost in it sometimes and forget it's all about enjoyment. We chase numbers and response graphs, but really don't even know how that will actually sound.

To me, it parallels computer overclocking. Chasing numbers and graphs and benchmarks for no real purpose aside from being perfect or better than the last guy.

At the end of the day, it's about what sounds good. And if it does, then that's all that matters. Chasing great is the ultimate goal, but at some point, I feel "good" is good enough.

Albiepalbie

Being in a good mood
Good music choice
Great recording
Being able to put that above lists out of your head

Deep listening

Top Bottom