• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Protecting Memories

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Once you have fully understood the underlying assumptions and concept, relevance will be obvious...

Or maybe not ;)

1618790506381.png

Reactions: NTK

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Why is this relevant?
Underlying process for hearing over time. The way you integrate what you hear into what you expect, or how you compare sounds.

MarkS

Major Contributor
Well, I have a PhD in physics from Stanford, and so you can't snow me with a first-order differential equation in a mere six dimensions.

I still see zero relevance to audio.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Underlying process for hearing over time.

So does this cover time dilation? If I'm listening to a CD at almost the speed of light then by the time I've finishing listening to the first track you would have aged 60+ years ...

/sarcasm

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Y'all need to cut back on CBDs.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

MarkS

Major Contributor
Explain the relevance. I'm all ears.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
So does this cover time dilation? If I'm listening to a CD at almost the speed of light then by the time I've finishing listening to the first track you would have aged 60+ years ...

/sarcasm

It's depends if you listen Wagner Cage or Queen

OP
Wes

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is this relevant?

Audiophiles are continually making claims about hearing and DBTs too - based on very poor understanding of echoic memory. This is a very complex field.

Curious what you do in physics?

MarkS

Major Contributor
Theory of various sorts.

Back in grad school in 1979, I was a budding audiophile who had just replaced ADC 303AX speakers (recommended by my dad, who was a DIY speaker builder for a time) with Polk 10s, bought at The Audible Difference in Palo Alto, the coolest store I have ever been in (and now sadly gone). Polk also sold a fancy speaker cable, and my friend (another physics grad student) and I were talking about whether it could have any effect. We were doing some back-of-the-envelope transmission-line calculations, using the speed of sound as the cable velocity, when my friend said "Wait: the signal in the cable is electrical." I suddenly realized what he meant: we should be using the speed of light, not the speed of sound! And with the speed of light, at audio frequencies, the transmission-line characteristics of the cable were completely irrelevant.

Top Bottom