• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Prince rises from the dead.

g-force

Finally I get to post something that is not another bummer.
'Welcome 2 America' A First o' previously unreleased, posthumous; from the American musician 'formerly known as Prince'. It was apparently a newsy item back in April. If i was a reviewer I would say: While it is not 'xactly Quadrophenia or 21st Century Schizoid Man or Joe's Garage... it at least has real musicians playin' real instruments that don't sound like the current auto-tuned Filth; or mixes sounding jangled as MP3's. It is a very Happy, Hummable thing; with TAFKAP's hooky and very smoooth range of genres: songs you that may recognize; but of course, they are not 'zackly the same. Really Lush Production. It will occupy some of our time while we wait for the next Bob Dylan.

Katji

Major Contributor
it at least has real musicians playin' real instruments that don't sound like the current auto-tuned Filth; or mixes sounding jangled as MP3's. It is a very Happy, Hummable thing;
:mad: Ohh right, you mean it's old fart rockists, blast from the past 40-50 years ago.
smh....goood lord....
"real instruments" smh

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Prince & his vault definitely fall in the whatever... category for me.
I do suspect that he has (had) better quality unreleased stuff in the can (at least on the average) than did Jimi Hendrix.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
The WORST and in my opinion, the WORST singer of the 60's was Janis Joplin. If she was not a hard partying heroin junkie, she would not have had a career. I think she received great press because at the time is was cool to do lots of heroin and party way too hard for the human body. Her singing is worse than nails on a chalkboard. Just thinking about it gives me the willys. No talent whatsoever. Not even karaoke level.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
FWIW (and I am not a huge fan of the persona she created, either), the actual backstory on Janis Joplin was apparently rather more complicated.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/21/7718...graphy-reveals-the-hard-work-behind-the-heart

1627840653135.png

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
The WORST and in my opinion, the WORST singer of the 60's was Janis Joplin. If she was not a hard partying heroin junkie, she would not have had a career. I think she received great press because at the time is was cool to do lots of heroin and party way too hard for the human body. Her singing is worse than nails on a chalkboard. Just thinking about it gives me the willys. No talent whatsoever. Not even karaoke level.
Don't sugar the pill, tell us what you really think. :p

Robin L

Master Contributor
Don't sugar the pill, tell us what you really think. :p
Gee . . . I thought it was Gary Lewis.

Back to the OP: Prince is the closest to Duke Ellington of anyone that followed, featuring danceable riff-rockers with a signature sound. I suspect the vaults will prove deep and wide:

Robin L

Master Contributor
"Ya'll know I wrote' this while lookin' in the mirror, right?"

OP
G

g-force

Holy Smoke. See how hard it is to find new music ? I sent this to Tidal some time ago:
WTF is going on with Music. ' I AM Dancing to The White Zone is for loading and unloading only..." ( and you'd better Know this reference )
As you can see from my listening history I am going backwards. I grew with Mahavishnu Orchestra and Frank Zappa as my first real concert. We'd see Bruce Cockburn playing coffee shops in Southern Ontario... I just missed Joni by a year...
King Crimson's 21st Century Schizoid Man was my breakfast cartoon. Ry Cooder's 'Into the Purple Valley' was new.
We arrived late for 'Performance' and when we sat down they were pouring acid on the Rolls ... and shaving the chauffeurs's head. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Performance_(soundtrack) ...Ry playing with the Stones and Randy Newman on vocals... Buffy Ste Marie plays mouth-bow and the air is thick with hashish...
And the Last Poets kill rap and hiphop dead. 8 Mile is a kids cartoon.

Sometime later came Talking Heads; produced and tuned up by Brian Eno.
'My Life in the Bush of Ghosts'. Period. Future-History. Done.
Which brings me to the point of this eScribbling:
Tonight; I am searching Tidal and I played a bit of Zemlinsky; whom Brahms apparently liked...
And thought I'd try some guy called Joseph Shabasan....which I thought was crap: Fake. Insincere. Lying.
Then I clicked 'related artists' and went/flipped through: Zahn, Bartsch. Gendel, Meitei, Hamasyan, Gaussian Curve, English, Sprague, Irisarri; Girls in Airports is on now and I am trying to keep mah dinner down...
Have None of these milk-sops heard of Eno ? This is not music to cover or imitate. Or actually listen to if you know what Eno meant by Ambient Music. He had a long run and it is time to move on into the next impact.

Did you watch John McLaughlin's farewell tour with Jimmy Herring 2017...
interviews with John around that time have him talking about Miles Davis and Mahavishnu and Shakti and Paco de Lucia.
He said ( quoting loosely ) that there is no more Jazz....and that music no longer has blood on the floor. ( I saw him with Joey DeFrancesco: Dennis Chambers did a solo that had them both sitting on Joey's bench gaping and laughing )
John is off to India and Monaco and won't be back. ( I also saw 'Remember Shakti' and time was suspended )

Now ? I quote "How to Play the Flute" 'La-de-dah-dee' Mackelmore and Kid Draino ...only to say they fit well in a world with a melted Arctic and the vast Oceans full of jelly-fish.

So what do you want ?: you say.
I want a 50 album guitarist who played with Miles.
I want a poet who wrote songs strong enough to be the background for the war-crime that was Viet Nam.
I want a composer that can be used in the same sentence as Stravinsky and Picasso: Frank Zappa. Period.
I want a Band like ZPZ that has a 250 song set-list and OWNS these songs in a three hour non-stop state of the art sound-sculpture.
( on that note I am sorry EVH is daed; but he was no composer )
Drake can kiss my ass. And all those therapy-girls using auto-tune and singing their diaries and the click track-beat-boxers. And the ECM/CTI as-if jazzers: smoother with potted palms and A/C.
Ifn you thin' that I livin' in th' pastI'll see your 'Sorry Not Sorry' by Naz. ...Eddie; are you kidding me ?
jeezuz, morey and joseph: Andra Day 'phone dies' just came on. Frank is Rolling in His Grave.

i don't want No Shopping Therapy.
I want some music for The Anthropocene and the End of Global Industrial Society.
After the Survivors come the Scavengers.
ps: Stereo Is Easy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom